Millennium Star Atlas

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 pjglad

pjglad

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

Is this atlas out of print? Based on forum posts it appears that there is considerable interest in this atlas.

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Yes, it has been out of print for a few years.

Regards,

Jim

#3 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Is this atlas out of print?

Yes, and I think it's unlikely to be reprinted. The market for highly detailed atlases is modest, and it's probably shrinking rather than growing as planetarium software for computers and smart phones becomes more popular.

There has been some discussion about selling this in e-book form, which would require a much smaller investment than gearing up printing presses.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

#4 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

I know that if it became available again, I'd be first in line to purchase it. I'd like to find a used hardback edition in good shape, but I'm not about to pay the outrageous prices that some knuckleheads are asking. I've seen some recent ads where people are asking inflated prices for SA2000 because they think it's out of print.

#5 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

I use a Millenium in the field. I like the look, layout, and depth. Here's what i want from a new edition:

Northern hemisphere edition goes to -60 dec only
Spiral bound
More overlap
More DSO's
Struve's labeled when possible

Or how bout an atlas of just stuff within 10 deg of the galactic equator? On the same scale as the Uranometria appendix charts.

#6 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

I don't think you're likely to get any of that, Ray.

There's still the Great Atlas of the Sky by Piotr Brych, though. That's a deeper atlas than the MSA, and has a lot more DSOs (alas, though, no dark nebulae). Agena Astro is the North American distributor.

#7 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

I found a used copy online for 399 and offered 199 and they accepted so if you want one you might look at Amazon!

#8 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

I use a Millenium in the field. I like the look, layout, and depth. Here's what i want from a new edition:

Northern hemisphere edition goes to -60 dec only
Spiral bound
More overlap

Yikes, do you realize what a monster you have imagined? The Millennium Atlas is huge enough as it stands. Increasing the overlap significantly would probably increase the number of pages 50%. Spiral binding that much paper would be a nightmare; the pages would be ripping after a few nights of use unless they were made of ultraheavy stock, which would be bulky, heavy, and expensive.

And omitting the sky south of 60S would significantly reduce the atlas's appeal with barely any benefit. Less than 7% of the sky lies that far south, but it happens to be an extraordinarily important 7%.

More DSO's, Struve's labeled when possible

That's one of the biggest obstacles. To really make Millennium worth republishing in a big way would require substantive changes, notably including all the stars in the Tycho2 catalog (roughly doubling the total) and making the DSO database more accurate and comprehensive. But those would require replotting all the pages from scratch and then proofreading them -- an overwhelmingly gigantic job. The cost would be prohibitive.

#9 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

There is one to sale on Ebay: 952$ Ouch !!!

web page

#10 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Is this atlas out of print? Based on forum posts it appears that there is considerable interest in this atlas.

It's funny how interest (and price) spikes on things like this when they're no longer available. :)

#11 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

I have a copy that my kids gave me for father's day a few (many) years ago.
Very detailed, but way over my head; not used much.

edj

#12 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

It's such a thing of beauty, though. It doesn't have to be particularly useful, it's worthwhile just to have it for its own sake.

#13 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

It's such a thing of beauty, though. It doesn't have to be particularly useful, it's worthwhile just to have it for its own sake.

+1

#14 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

+2

#15 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

Is this atlas out of print?

Yes, and I think it's unlikely to be reprinted. The market for highly detailed atlases is modest, and it's probably shrinking rather than growing as planetarium software for computers and smart phones becomes more popular.

There has been some discussion about selling this in e-book form, which would require a much smaller investment than gearing up printing presses.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

That would make a lot more sense. I never made the jump to MSA, having stopped at U2000. That is as much bulk as I care to take out into the field. But the more I use SkySafari, the more I realize that as much as I love my my paper charts, they are obsolete.

#16 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

It is a beautiful thing...the Physics Department where I teach astronomy has a copy. Never could bring myself to get one; I was afraid I would never use it. And I was probably right. I went "computer atlas" in the mid 90s starting with _Megastar_ and have never looked back. :(

#17 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

It is a beautiful thing...the Physics Department where I teach astronomy has a copy. Never could bring myself to get one; I was afraid I would never use it. And I was probably right. I went "computer atlas" in the mid 90s starting with _Megastar_ and have never looked back. :(

For field use I find astro apps like Sky Safari on my iPhone handier than most paper atlases (the Pocket Sky Atlas is a notable exception), especially the seriously hefty ones like the Millennium Star Atlas. But for a bibliophile like myself at least, there really is a sheer joy to looking through the pages a beautiful atlas like the Millennium that no app can ever hope to match.

#18 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Great atlas! I purchased one of the paperback versions from S&T a few years ago.

...Bob
Kentucky

#19 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

It is out of print, but even if it were reprinted I would not get it. *My* personal preference is to use the TRIATLAS made available for free by José Ramón Torres on his website (click here). He offers 5 versions/different sizes. And I'm sure that the Millennium Star Atlas is better in appearance, but I needed something for finding faint fuzzies in the field. The Pocket Sky Atlas/PSA (which I like for bright/easy stuff) and Uranometria (which didn't go deep enough and I gave away) just don't work for me and faint stuff.

The Millennium Star Atlas would also be unwieldy (big) for use, so I went with the TRIATLAS. The 25-page "A" series, printed on 11x17-inch paper (large labels and large sky areas), make my initial starhopping easier, and the 218-page "Intermediate B/C" series, printed on 8.5x11-inch paper and inserted into thin clear plastic page protectors (~$20) for finding faint stuff, seem to work for me. And I only need to take out the dozen or so B/C sheets of interest that night (the "A" series or PSA are always nearby). I even use a dry-erase marker on the protector sheets to circle/point-out what I'm looking for (in my 8-inch SCT).

So, the Millennium Star Atlas may be nice to look at, and perhaps is used in the field by some, but the TRIATLAS gives *me* the detail I need and allows me options of printing/using that the Millennium Star Atlas doesn't offer (even if it were available at a reasonable price). TRIATLAS is free and the binder of sheet protectors is very affordable by me. Computer software may also be nice, but print is my preference.

#20 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

I own both the Millenium Star Atlas and the entire C-series of the Tri-Atlas printed on A3 paper.

I actually use the MSA in the field and is very handy for star hopping, even if it is bulky and heavy. And after 10 years in the dew, it is no worse for wear, pages all intact, no issues with the binding, print still like new! :D

#21 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

I own both the Millenium Star Atlas and the entire C-series of the Tri-Atlas printed on A3 paper.

I actually use the MSA in the field and is very handy for star hopping, even if it is bulky and heavy. And after 10 years in the dew, it is no worse for wear, pages all intact, no issues with the binding, print still like new! :D

Wonderful!

This is such an amazing hobby. There are many ways to approach it, many ways to make it more enjoyable. And despite some of the questions/topics about "the best", there's really is no single "best" optical device or accessory or technique or reference material. People can learn about what others may do or not do, but everyone can choose what works for them, given their eyeballs, budget, location, interests, etc.

We just need enough participants in this astronomy hobby so that there is sufficient demand for things like keeping the Millennium Star Atlas in print so that all who wish choose a particular option can do so. Sigh ...

#22 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

There is a copy for sale on Amart just posted for $500. Maybe he can be talked down.

#23 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

I bought the Byrch Great Atlas last year and never used it.

My Millenium is no longder in collectible condition but thats ok, I use it in the field.

#24 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

And after 10 years in the dew, it is no worse for wear, pages all intact, no issues with the binding, print still like new! :D

My hardback copy is as you describe, my softback set has suffered binding failure, alas.

#25 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

This atlas was always too light on DSOs for scopes larger than 8", but is great in format and the number of stars.
Uranometria 2000.0 is FAR better on the number of DSOs, but is a little light on stars.
There was going to be a 6-volume atlas called the SkyGX from Christopher Watson:
Info Here that would have been the atlas we were all looking for--a ton of stars and enough DSOs for a lifetime, even with big scopes.
But it never made it into print.

As I see it:

Pocket Sky Atlas--great beginner's atlas for 4" up.

Sky Atlas 2000--great atlas for the 6-8" scope

Millenium Sky Atlas--the printed atlas for the 8" scope.

Uranometria 2000--THE atlas for 12-15"

And for the 16"+ scope in a dark site? Lots of good computer programs, but nothing at that level in print.

Of course, having a larger scope and using U2000 isn't a bad idea--it's just that you will continually find fields with 7 galaxies where U2000 shows 2 or 3.

So, for the big scope owner, there is always printing a page from a computer atlas to take to the field. YOU choose how deep the stars go, how many objects show up, and the scale. I've printed pages one degree on a side for some of the Hickson groups. The only rub is that it really requires a lot of planning before the observing session.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics