Plans have arrived....and so it begins

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#76 David81

David81

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

Boy that OSB is heavy when you have to get it up on the roof..

Another day down and the roof is nearly fully sheathed. Top surface is done, just need to cut and hang the ends now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#77 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi David,
You might want to consider putting in a stabilizing element or two to keep the trusses in vertical alignment.
They would serve a function similar to a ridge beam. As it is now, there isn't much to stop the roof from sagging in places.

dan k.

#78 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

I'll definitely be adding some additional truss bracing over the next couple of days. I had to get things up and in place while I had full days and helping hands, but I'll be going back in to add some extra bracing after work this week.

#79 Chucke

Chucke

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hi David,

I have been following this thread with great interest since when I am ready to build my obs a few years from now I will probably use these same BYO plans. I am undecided whether to build a raised structure like you have done or put it on a slab.

Why did you decide to build a raised building instead of a slab? Was it mostly cost? Do you have any concerns with critters taking up residence underneath?

Chuck

#80 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

My main reasons for the raised floor were:

1. I'm comfortable with building the floor myself. If I'd gone with a slab, I would have had to hire someone and that means more $$$ :)

2. Seemed easier to isolate the piers.

3. I just prefer the feel of that style of floor.

No real worries about critters. There should be enough room for them to come and go as they please.

I will say that I used the BYO plans as a starting point and made a few changes along the way to suit my building style and needs, so it's not a straight-from-the-plans build.

Good luck with your build and be sure to ask lots of questions. I did and I'm better off for it.

#81 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

It's been a while since my last update, but it's also been pretty slow going now that it is getting darker earlier and I can only work on the weekends.

Everything is mostly sealed up with house wrap and roof underlayment so no more worry about weather (thank goodness with all the rain we've had lately). I had planned on putting up the siding this weekend, but Mother Nature had other plans and gave us a couple days of rain. So some interior work was done instead.

The warm room now has a window to the outside world and a proper ceiling (framed, at least). I discovered two very interesting things while putting the ceiling in place.

First, an 8 ft x 16 ft ceiling framed with 2x4's is rather heavy and unwieldy. Especially when you are trying to hoist it into place alone :) Lots of bracing and levers were used.

Secondly, I had to move the roof for the first time since fully sheathing and bracing it. There is no motorization yet, so I just tied a rope to one of the trusses near the south end and pulled from inside. To my surprise, that monster of a roof moved without much trouble at all. I'm really loving those v-groove casters and angle iron now. Perhaps the 1300 lb hoist is just a bit overkill, eh?

If the weather holds up, siding will be done this weekend and I may even get to start on the roof metal.

More pics to come soon :)

#82 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the update. Progress can be slow sometimes, but the result is well worth it. I use ropes too on my split roof ROR. The inverted V track and V groove wheels make it roll like it's sitting on glass. It's been working w/o maintenace (except replacing ropes) for over 27 years But as I age I may be giving up the exercise and motorize it.

#83 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Another milestone nearly completed. An out of town friend stopped by to help me put up the cement board siding yesterday. Most of the building is now sided, but I still need to complete the gable ends of the roof. Darkness just comes too early these days. At least those pieces will be light enough to carry up the ladder by myself.

We may have finished the whole thing had Mother Nature not been conspiring against us. High winds and on and off heavy rain definitely slowed us down. Those big sheets of cement board sure due catch the wind nicely :)

I'm also please to say that the observatory survived the first wind advisory that we've had since all the sheathing was put in place. We fell asleep to the sound of the house shaking in the wind and everything was still in its proper place the next morning.

There was one amusing incident while I was showing off the motion of the roof where the wind kicked up and started to open up the roof. Quite glad I have those turnbuckles in place now :)

Next week is another "vacation" week, so I'm hoping to get the siding finished, roof on and electric run.

Sooooo close now....

#84 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

All the work will be well worth it, when you open that roof for your first night of observing! :jump:

I still get such a thrill, when the roof starts opening, and the beautiful night sky is exposed!

#85 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Things are coming along nicely now. The siding is up and painted. Wednesday the roof metal should be going up and if the weather holds, Friday will see the trench trenched for the electrical and network cables.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#86 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Time for another quick update.

I HATE CLAY. Ok, now that that is out of my system...

The power and Cat6 are in the conduit and run out the observatory. Nothing is hooked up yet, but it should be this weekend. A good deal of the rough electrical is already done out in the obs in preparation for turning the power on.

I can't wait to get the roof motorized. I've been able to roll it about half of the way off by hand, but after a certain point, I just lose my leverage and can't go any further.

Filling in the trench is going to take far too long. After all the rain we've had, the clay has just turned to a sticky mess and just doesn't want to go back in the hole. It doesn't seem like it should take very long to put dirt back in a skinny trench, but when it glues itself to everything that touches it...

My piers will be delivered this evening (10" gas pipe welded up to my specs by a local welder) and I'm hoping to get a coat of paint on them in the next couple of days while we have a warm stretch.

Who knows, I may be up and running by Christmas :)

#87 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

David, things will move quickly now; and hey, that's a nice Christmas present! :grin:

#88 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

I certainly hope so Carol. It seems so slow going since I can only work on the weekends now (no daylight after work) and those are now filled with holidays :)

#89 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Woohoo! The piers have arrived.

Posted Image

They were made from a long section of 10" steel gas pipe that a friend in the astro club happened to stumble upon (he's in the gas business). $75 for the pipe that would end up as two piers was a great deal. I drew everything up in Sketchup and sent the drawings off to a couple folks with ads on craigslist.

Each is made from half of the original pipe (about 43" each) + 3/4" plate on each end (14" square). The bottom plate is solid and has slots to attach to the concrete bases with a little wiggle for alignment. The tops are similar but have a 4 inch hole in the middle to allow for filling with sand or something similar later on. The corner slots on the top plate will allow for 3/4" threaded rods to be used to attach one final 3/4" plate above with about 6" of space in between for leveling/aligning and room to attach my current CG5.

I even got a couple "spare" 14" plates that were cut incorrectly for the bottoms.

The guy that won the job actually seemed interested in what I was doing and had the right price + time line + equipment combo. If only he'd been able to do the painting for a reasonable cost (he wanted $100 per + I'd buy the paint cans). He's actually requested an invite to the "grand opening" when I get everything done. A little unintended outreach :)

Hopefully I can get a couple coats of paint on them before the really cold weather hits.

#90 MDB

MDB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

David,

Those things would sure look nice sand blasted and powder coated!

Mike

#91 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

They sure would Mike. If only I could find someone that could do it locally for a reasonable cost....

#92 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Painting of the piers is almost done. I'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out. Sure, powder coating would have been ideal, but I don't think this paint job will be seeing much exposure to the elements.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#93 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Took a couple hours this morning to get the electric hooked up before I completely filled in the trench. Just to be sure :)

Posted Image

Now it's time to relax and enjoy the company of family.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics