Photo

AT60EDT coming soon and a different 8IN?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Moving into a new building has placed some projects on the back-burner. The 60EDT is one of those scopes. A nice change has come about in the meantime. The focuser is now a hybrid crayford/rack and pinion. The triplet f/7 lens is still as great as it was two years ago and the street price is $599. We are bringing in a handful to see what the community thinks and if the product is viable.

Also there is a potential sprucing up of the 8IN. There is a carbon fiber tube option, however the price shoots up to $849, if we put a Feather Touch or Moonlight, then you are approaching $!000. Before we go crazy is that something people are even interested in?

#2 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi Michael,

If the AT60EDT is $599, and the AT65EDQ is also $599, why would someone buy the AT60EDT at the same price?

They have the same focal length, and the AT65EDQ has 5mm more aperture and a built in field flattener.

Maybe you will have to reduce the price of the AT60EDT to $499 :)

Greg

#3 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

I know, but some people didn't want the flattener element. If we dropped it to $499 we literally would make zero profit, as is there isn't room to sell the scope to dealers. It is an item we are bringing in an extremely small batch to see if it has legs.

#4 AZstar

AZstar

Sputnik

• Loc: AZ

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hello Michael,
What's the possibility of a 10" CF newt?
I considered the 10" newt for imaging, but the additional weight load on my EQ6 just seemed a little to much.
If you could shave a few lbs going to a CF tube I would certainly be interested and I bet a lot of other folks would too.

#5 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

I fear the cost would be north of $1000 and don't know what people would think.

#6 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

I fear the cost would be north of $1000 and don't know what people would think.

Maybe.... :scared:

#7 ///^**^\\\

///^**^\\\

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Deep Dark Blackness of central Idaho nights@ 6000ft alt.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

Like "AZstar" asked what about a 10" CF newt. For me there isn't enough weight savings in an 8" F4 to justify the extra investment in CF. But at 10" we start seeing some real poundage advantage. Upgrading the standard mirror to an aftermaket lightweight could bring the weight of the 10"CF very close to the weight of the standard AT8IN.

I am all for that a 10" that weighs near an 8". The Skywatcher Quattro 10"F4CF is Selling for a 1000 euros. I have been thinking about getting said scope and put a Royce conical or refigured Hubble mirror in it.

There have been some threads recently about the lack of CF Newts. There seems like a small interested group. Boren-Simon has a nice product. But I think the Power Newt is more focuser and corrector than most of us want to pay for.

So I think like what APM is doing right now with designing what the market wants in a 6" F8 ED. You folks at Astronomics have an opportunity to do the same thing with CF Newts. Start a new thread about ATXXINCF. Find out what sizes,fstop,features we all want. So many of us buy Newts only to swap out upgrades. It such a waste buying something your just going upgrade and then trying to get rid/sell those entry level componets.

#8 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:47 AM

There is already the Skywatcher 8" f/4 with a carbon fibre tube (the Quattro), at $1,000.00, but with a Skywatcher dual speed, not a MoonLite or FeatherTouch. A premium focuser would definitely be attractive, and, along with the CF, justify the price.

#9 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Need a :photo: of the AT60EDT if available. :jump:

#10 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

I could be interested in the AT60EDT as well... would also like to see a picture.
Thanks for not forgetting this scope!!

#11 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• Loc: Georgia USA 34 31'57.18N 83 53'26.30W

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Hi Michael,

If the AT60EDT is $599, and the AT65EDQ is also $599, why would someone buy the AT60EDT at the same price?

They have the same focal length, and the AT65EDQ has 5mm more aperture and a built in field flattener.

Maybe you will have to reduce the price of the AT60EDT to $499 :)

Greg

5mm of aperture is not going to give you a whole lot more of light grasp and a field flattener for optical purposes which I assume this scope is being made for is really not necessary. The only time any field curvature would be pronounced is when an eyepiece with crazy wide AFOV is used and that is not of the greatest quality. For instance I have a 60mm f/6 achro that I built with an objective of unknown pedigree and as long as I stick to a Plossl, Ortho or the older Japanese Kellners, my FOV is razor sharp edge to edge. I am certain that if I were to use an Erfle or some other widefield design EP, the results would be different. To me it is a waste of time and money to use an exotic widefield EP in a scope that is indeed limited by its physical size alone. Sure they have their place but not in a 60mm scope, thus eliminating the need for a flattener. Even if this scope were to be used as a guide scope or AP work, as a triplet I am quite certain that the correction will also be good enough to eliminate the need for a flattener. Finally, in something this small in aperture, and I swear by the old 60's, a flattener is just yet another set of air to glass surfaces that will ultimately reduce the light through put to some degree. The two best scopes I own are 60mm units, one is an f11.7 and the other an f/16.7, both are achros and both have old glass in them. I can't say anything other than this new AT is going to be a hit.

#12 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

Is this scope coming in a case??? Can you describe??? I would love just a small heavy nylon bag-type case for it... or a case that just holds the scope. I don't prefer cases with holes/slots for accessories, as they never suit what I want to carry- thus effectively making for an oversized case.
Wes

#13 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Even if this scope were to be used as a guide scope or AP work, as a triplet I am quite certain that the correction will also be good enough to eliminate the need for a flattener.

Actually, all short focal length refractors without a built in field flattener exhibit significant field curvature. Field curvature is mostly related to focal length. For visual this is not a problem, because eyes can compensate, and for guiding you only have to focus on a single guide star, so the rest of the field does not matter.

The triplet design is to correct for color, not for field curvature.

For AP in a short focal length refractor without a field flattener, uncropped images will only have round stars in the zone that is focused. If the center of the image is in focus, you will get nice comets instead of stars on the corners of the images.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics