Photo

Choice of clothing color when observing...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

I found sleeves to be dressing for comfort in skeeter season, so switched from pocketed vest to jacket many moons ago. An old school solution that is a comfort compromise on hot nights.

White as a cultural color of death sounds like a literal connection to bone white.

#27 tejasdragon

tejasdragon

Messenger

• Loc: Garland, Texas

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

I often wear a dark hoodie. If anyone would be foolish enough to stereotype me based on that, I would see it as their problem, not mine.

True, but in the case of the police, they have the ability to make it your problem, as well. :grin:

The perception of white as "pure" runs much deeper psychologically than a simple stereotype throughout Western culture; it may even be a genetic predisposition. Other cultures vary regarding this effect; in parts of Oceania, for example, white is seen as the color of death.

Attitude is what affects the law dogs, not clothes.
the way I dress might have then take a second look
at me, and that is OK it is there job. But a law dogs
response to me is a reflection of what kind of grief
I give him from the get go. In my wild days I'd regularly
be the only one that did not go to jail or got off
a lot easier because I was always polite to them.
It affects all that happens after that first "What
are you up to" and "ID now" from how ruff you may
be treated while being arrested to how the judge
sentences you. I now been there done it. Being
polite to them can be the difference in a few
months in jail or year or two.

#28 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Let's get back on the subject of choice of clothing; rather than the "good or bad", of white & black. That's a topic for OTO, not here. :)

#29 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

When observing I just wear whatever I have on at the time. The choice of colour just doesn't come into it. :undecided:

#30 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

"]I found sleeves to be dressing for comfort in skeeter season, so switched from pocketed vest to jacket many moons ago. An old school solution that is a comfort compromise on hot nights."

It is notable that desert dwellers favor clothing that leaves little of the body exposed to scorching sunlight.Loose-fitting light colors seem to predominate.

Observing at night is another matter entirely;although thinking on it,any skin left exposed is an invitation to mosquitos in this area half the year!

Maybe a beekeepers suit with eyeholes for astronomy?

#31 plav1959

plav1959

Messenger

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

That does it. In order to not offend anyone by my choice of clothing, draw the attention of the police based on my style of clothing , or attract problems with bands of gang members based on my choice of clothing colors, I will be observing naked from here on out!

#32 plav1959

plav1959

Messenger

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

But seriously, I just dress based on comfort and temperature. Honestly never really thought about colors...

#33 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

That does it. In order to not offend anyone by my choice of clothing, draw the attention of the police based on my style of clothing , or attract problems with bands of gang members based on my choice of clothing colors, I will be observing naked from here on out!

:lol: :bow: especially considering the humdity these days, sounds good to me!

#34 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

I prefer to wear dark colors when observing. My theory is that black reflects less light, therefore helping maintain dark adaptation. I've got a black hoodie that works well and isn't too hot, except July and August in Kansas! Then it's shorts, tee, sandals and deet! (hope my new thermacell will work as well as deet)

#35 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

I always wear clothes when I'm observing. :grin:

#36 evilmedic13

evilmedic13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago,Il

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

In my yard, whatever I want. If I venture past the security of my house, usually a hockey jersy with a hoodie underneath. I'm 6" 225lbs as it is, add a size 52 jersey and an xl hoodie, and I don't look like someone you'd want to know in a bad way.
I usually pick the white/away jersey, this way the police can spot me if they need to speak to me. I'm a paramedic in their district, so it's usually a short lived experience. It usually goes like this, "Excuse me sir. Oh, hey, what are you doing out here?" My answers vary depending on mood, and night. Always cordial, just less humorous if I know they're having a rough night.

#37 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Welcome to CN! Glad to have you join us on the forums. :)

#38 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

I must admit that schooling the forum regarding the Crips and Bloods was entirely unanticipated when I made my original post.

Yes--but this was interesting, and very possibly valuable information.

#39 mdalton

mdalton

Explorer 1

• Loc: Farmington, Mo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I have never given it any thought. I only dress for the cold if needed.

#40 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Warm in winter, cool in summer, otherwise whatever is comfortable and functional. Color doesn't much matter.

#41 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Warm in winter, cool in summer, otherwise whatever is comfortable and functional. Color doesn't much matter.

Same here. :)

#42 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

I wear a huge, oversized leather coat with a big gold crown embroidered on the back, lots of gold chains, and a pair of blue jeans fastened around my thighs so people can see my boxers. I observe out of the back of a black Hummer with 22-inch chrome rims. Nobody bothers me. :coolnod:

BTW, anybody know where you can get a C8 goldplated?

#43 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: You can't see me...

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here.

My wife thinks the telescopes are bad enough, but if I'm not at least a little fashionable it just makes it worse.

so with fashion in mind, I just found out the new color for 2013 is: color of the year

#44 Danzup77

Danzup77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

I wear what ever the heck I feel like throwing on and could care less what random passers by think....lol. Keep walking if you are scared people :) sorry

In this country its almost our new identity to be offended by every thing and every one. sad sad sad.....Get a grip and suck it up!!! People love creating issues lol...

#45 Danzup77

Danzup77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

MeadeBall you may need a counterweight for that C8 after :)

#46 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'm not exactly one that has ever thought about something like this. Colors, matching, worrying about what anyone thinks. I pretty much wear the same things anyway. It has to be warm, cool, depending on the night, but most important, comfortable, and whatever I happen to have on. I could care less about anything else.

#47 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Maybe we should color cordinate what we wear with the color of our scope....maybe even take some of those old leg warmers from the 80s and put'em on our refractors (they came in many colors)and replaceable "wraps" for our dobs... :lol:

#48 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Quote:

Same here.

My wife thinks the telescopes are bad enough, but if I'm not at least a little fashionable it just makes it worse.

so with fashion in mind, I just found out the new color for 2013 is: color of the year

Just what we needed--more Televue!!!!

#49 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Seems that the potential importance of color falls into three categories:
1) At respondent's usual observing sites, how relatively important is choice of color to communicating benign intent to others?
2) At respondent's usual observing sites, how relatively important is choice of color to observer's comfort and ability to successfully function? (mosquitoes, dark/unreflective vs light/reflective);
3) How important is it to the respondent's self-regard to be (and appear) well put-together even in the dark vs whatever-the-heck whatever keeps me warm enough even if it's striped pants and plaid jacket, I'm in the dark anyway. Some people simply don't feel comfortable dressed in a way they consider sloppy, even if they're going out into the dark. Others: hey, who cares, I'm going to a dark site alone or with a few buds who don't care either.

#50 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Actually, for where I view, I'd be wondering what the heck the cops would be doing way out there in the midddle of nowhere.....Snipe Hunting????

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics