Photo

Choice of clothing color when observing...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 tecmage

tecmage

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I wear a huge, oversized leather coat with a big gold crown embroidered on the back, lots of gold chains, and a pair of blue jeans fastened around my thighs so people can see my boxers. I observe out of the back of a black Hummer with 22-inch chrome rims. Nobody bothers me. :coolnod:

BTW, anybody know where you can get a C8 goldplated?

Is that you Dr. Detroit? :jump:

#52 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Camoflage outfit,camoflage painted truck,camoflage painted scope.Tell them you are setting up an observation post.

But not forest camo in a snow-covered field.Have to adjust to the deploymeny area!

#53 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Dark Skies Apparel makes their hooded observing vest in white for solar viewers. Trouble is, that hood makes one look like a member of the KKK. Probably not cool in some areas.

#54 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Dark Skies Apparel makes their hooded observing vest in white for solar viewers. Trouble is, that hood makes one look like a member of the KKK. Probably not cool in some areas.

Or perhaps like a HazMat worker measuring toxic contamination with telescope-like instruments.

#55 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

Maybe we should color cordinate what we wear with the color of our scope....

OK then, what's the URL for Princeton University's campus store? :bow:

#56 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Color coordination with ones telescope is the way to go. Matching shirt, pants, coat, shoes, etc. :rolling: :step:

#57 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

Color coordination with ones telescope is the way to go. Matching shirt, pants, coat, shoes, etc. :rolling: :step:

Obviously, this is the real reason that so many amateur astronomers own multiple telescopes. Black and white for formal occasions, plaid for rural retreats, and so on . . .

#58 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I was a deputy sheriff for 27 years. I have contacted tens of thousands of people, both good and bad, at all times of the day and night. If I saw someone wearing all black looking through a telescope, my first response would be, "Mind if I take a look?" And even if you didn't have a right to be where you set up, well- that's why there is "spirit" and "letter" of the law. I'd probably just tell you to have a good night and be safe.

#59 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

I am actually thinking about color since im in the process of stitching together a hoody (store versions are so small and I want one that will hang past my face) so I chose navy blue, dont like black and navy blue does not reflect undesirable color from the street lights.

#60 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Summer attire (day and evening, seven days a week)- Plain white T-shirt. Khaki, camo or light weight jean shorts. White tube socks. Blue deck sneakers or light weight tan hiking boots. White 'Fruit of the Loom' briefs.... ;)

#61 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

TMI ! :lol:

#62 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

I always rent a spanking new white tuxedo for my observing sessions, with a sky blue cummerbund if I wish to cut a particularly dashing figure. Never has the gendarmerie found reason to take issue with my presence.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics