• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dmgriff

dmgriff

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

I have been thinking about a "all round sturdy eq mount for light wt otas" (with ra/dec controller).

Does the the Celestron Omni CG4 with ra/dec controller at about 400usd fit the bill?

Or, does anyone have a gem alternative sturdy product with ra/dec controller for light weight otas in that price range (total 400usd)?

Thanks,

Dave

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Dave, for visual which is all I do, it is great with my 120mm F/8.3 at about 18 lbs fully loaded. I use an Orion RA drive(about$80) and find that it provides excellent tracking for visual. You dont really need a DEC motor unless you are planning on getting into AP, in which case you will need opinions on this by people other then myself.

I just wanted to add that I have never done a proper polar alignment as I found out right away that just placing the N tripod leg as close as I can towards Polaris was really all that I basically needed. (Lazy short-cuts abound in my life) :grin:

Eric

#3 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

Yes, for anything 10lb and under a CG-4 should do fine. Another choice at that price range is the Orion SVP which is a CG-5 variant, but still available with full manual or RA/Dec and manual control.

#4 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

I have been thinking about a "all round sturdy eq mount for light wt otas" (with ra/dec controller).

Does the the Celestron Omni CG4 with ra/dec controller at about 400usd fit the bill?

Or, does anyone have a gem alternative sturdy product with ra/dec controller for light weight otas in that price range (total 400usd)?

Thanks,

Dave

I did the ST-4 mod and added autoguiding. I was able to image with 12 lbs of gear easily.

#5 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

I have a CG-4 and use it with my ES102 which tops out at about 15 lbs with a big eyepiece. The mount handles it quite well. The tracking could be a little smoother, but there is very little vibration. I don't use the RA/Dec controls, only manual and only for visual.

#6 dmgriff

dmgriff

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for all the input.

I probably will mount nothing heavier than around 10lbs.

Nice to hear it will hold heavier loads.

Thanks again to all,

Good viewing,

Dave

#7 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

mine handles ten pounds easily, but it is the older style of cg4. I am very happy with it for visual use.

#8 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

I have the CG-4 mount and tripod with the Celestron 102mm f/10 refractor mounted on it. The weight of the OTA with upgraded 9x50 finder, 2 inch 2 speed focuser, 2 inch diagonal mounted with one of my Hyperion eyepieces comes in at approx. 13 lbs. The mount handles it just fine!

#9 dmgriff

dmgriff

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Update:

Purchased the cg4, and I am very pleased with it.

The 1.75 inch steel tripod legs, makes the mount more than stable! Much better than extruded aluminum. I think the mount will fail before the tripod.

Easily handles the 11-12lb load that will be my current max.

Good viewing,

Dave

#10 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

I just finished working on one of these and was pleasently surprised to find that it had steel axis shafts (rather than machined cast aluminum), small but heavy worm wheels and ball bearing mounted worms. While there are no axis ball bearings, the mount was actually well designed for its wieght class and had advantages over the CG5 class mounts. If you can get an EQ3 Synscan upgrade kit it makes for a nice little, light wieght, goto mount.

#11 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

• Loc: Simi Valley, CA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

I just finished working on one of these and was pleasently surprised to find that it had steel axis shafts (rather than machined cast aluminum), small but heavy worm wheels and ball bearing mounted worms. While there are no axis ball bearings, the mount was actually well designed for its wieght class and had advantages over the CG5 class mounts. If you can get an EQ3 Synscan upgrade kit it makes for a nice little, light wieght, goto mount.

Wow, sounds like there's even more improvements to these over the old-style CG4 than I thought!

Anyone wanna trade? :whistle:

#12 Light Bender

Light Bender

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Middle Tennessee

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

I have the CG4 with the XLT 120 on it. I love it. One thing I strongly recommend is the Orion pier extension. It raises the scope so you don't have to get on your knees and increases stability because you no longer have to extend the legs. Best $90.00 I ever spent.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics