2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#226 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I really enjoyed the show. I met vendors with whom I have done business over the past 3 decades, sow new and revolutionary products and met fellow CN members. I thought the organizers did a great job, and the vendors as well. I did miss the folks from Astronomics, hope nothing life-threatening kept them away.

Clears,

#227 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I want to personally thank Alan Traino for putting this event together. I thought the show went amazingly smooth with very good attendance for a first-time event, and it was all due to the hard work of Alan and his crew at Lunt Solar Systems. He made it incredibly easy for us vendors, and great fun for attendees. Can't wait till next year's show! :jump:

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#228 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

...I'm going to call the CN badges a complete success. Joe, thank you for doing them. A lot of people remarked on my CN badge- with a comment like, "I've seen a lot of those." I propose they should be a staple of future shows- folks were keeping track.

-Rich

My pleasure, Rich. I'll be doing the same for NEAF (I won't be attending, but it's worth it for the CN exposure), and ASAE next year.
Thanks to Ron (Rboe) and Steve (WaterMaster) for printing them up, and Steph for supplying the lanyards.

#229 TOM O

TOM O

Ranger 4

• Loc: Joshua Tree CA.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

...I'm going to call the CN badges a complete success. Joe, thank you for doing them. A lot of people remarked on my CN badge- with a comment like, "I've seen a lot of those." I propose they should be a staple of future shows- folks were keeping track.

-Rich

My pleasure, Rich. I'll be doing the same for NEAF (I won't be attending, but it's worth it for the CN exposure), and ASAE next year.
Thanks to Ron (Rboe) and Steve (WaterMaster) for printing them up, and Steph for supplying the lanyards.

Yes! Thanks Joe and everyone. I was glad to have a professional looking badge to wear. Looks so much more "official" and nice!

#230 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Based on this ASAE, I highly recommend going to ASAE II in 2013.

I wish the schedule changes for Sunday had been shared better. There was an admin office right by the raffle desk, and laser-printed plain paper updates could easily have replaced the color folded schedules that were still being handed out Sunday morning.

Every speaker we saw was worthwhile, and some were real highlights:

The IDA meeting Saturday offered a wealth of knowledge to take home and share for added meaning at outreach in conversations by the eyepiece or in more formal presentations. I hope the IDA and ASAE meetings can coincide in future years too. We shuttled between ASAE and IDA to see Kevin Poe, Connie Walker, and Babak Tafreshi give informative and beautifully illustrated talks.

The CosmoQuest presentation by Dr. Pamela Gay was the coolest take-away activity, a bit like 'galaxy zoo' but for a huge store of lunar, planetary and asteroid imagery that needs review. I hope ASAE attendees spread the word about this set of opportunities for citizen participation in NASA solar system exploration.

Don Pettit’s talk was amazing on several levels, all the photos and videos, his science and engineering enthusiasm, and his descriptions of the inspiring sights and small practicalities of ISS living. We left impressed with the people NASA sends up to ISS.

Steve Ramsden’s talk began by explaining Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project and his tribute to deceased friend Charlie made for a moving Veteran’s Day story. There were great take-aways for daytime outreach to complement the night-time thoughts from IDA. Steve and his wife are good people for doing all they can to support education in Georgia and around the world.

The meteorite panel was another really nice surprise, we learned a lot from the panel, and left inspired to go hunting near home, especially since we took home one of the chondrite fragments that ‘Sonny’ had salted in the gravel planters outside the convention center. The meteorite gang was encouraging when answering questions, a nice bunch of people; and the scientist-collector collaboration of the panel was a good model for other fields. A new facet to the hobby for us - it’s pretty cool to handle a piece of an asteroid…

While the vending area was mostly just a ‘window shopping’ pass each day, there were some highlights:

• Gary Hands earned ‘good guy’ status in my book for a nice engaging conversation with my daughter while I worked on my hot dog.

• The IDA, CosmoQuest, Charlie Bates, Goddard and LPL booths were great for outreach materials and conversations. If you all are spending on the floor again at ASAE 2013, remember the T-shirts, books or cash-in-the-hat for guys like them... There were a lot more outreach info and activities aimed at kids, too, from U AZ and TAAA among others.

• It was nice to meet some vendors I only knew from decades of S&T ads. Craig and Mrs. Weathermax had a Panoptic at ASAE price I could not refuse, and took time to answer my green laser questions. The Vixen owner was an upbeat guy and had all the mounts, the Polarie, and Japan-made scopes out.

The amount of gear on display from all manufacturers and vendors was overwhelming.

The CN booth was either unmanned, or busy with a big crowd and I didn’t but in. It was nice to see a familiar Texas face from past White Sands star parties on the exhibit floor.

I hope ASAE 2013 brings back the IDA, Astronauts, and other great speakers.

I also hope all is well back home for Alan Traino – apparently his family had no power back home while he was in Tucson running ASAE.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics