12" LX200 Case

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eliasx1

eliasx1

Sputnik

• Loc: Chicago suburbs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

What do you guys think of my new telescope case? This is from Pelican. The dimensions are very similar JMI's case for four hundred less dollars. I did have to cut the foam myself.

I had a few concerns:
1) Will my telescope fit in the case?
2) Will Pelican's foam hold my telescope and some accessories firmly?
3) Will it fit in my Jeep in the space I want it in?
4) Are the casters and handles strong enough?
5) Will it be of high quality and also look good?

After taking a few measurements of my scope I blindly took the plunge and ordered the case. If it didn't fit I can find another use for the case. When it arrived via FedEx I opened the box and my case was in mint condition and looked and felt high quality. :D

The case is large enough for the telescope, but barely. The width and height fit very snug. There is no more space left. If those case dimensions were any smaller, the LX200 will not fit in there. I got lucky on that one. :D

It took about eight hours and 12 bottles of Abita beer to cut the foam with a kitchen knife. I made a few mistakes but was able to fix them with spray adhesive. I laid the scope on the foam and the foam held firmly :D

There was not much room left for accessories. I wanted to fit all my LX200 specific accessories in this case but am not going to be able to. I was able to cut out a space for, batteries (I hate wires and cables dangling all over), finder scope, and hand controller. Ill need another box for the rest of the accessories like the balancing weights and sky-fi. :smirk:

I rolled it around the house to feel the casters and handles and I like them. Good enough for my needs. I did not want the huge tires and handles like the JMI cases have. This was one of the main reasons I went for this case. Because of their design, they do not take any space. The casters are recessed and the handles fold onto the case.

I am happy with my purchase. Here are a few pics.

Attached Files

#2 eliasx1

eliasx1

Sputnik

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

Case closed

Attached Files

#3 eliasx1

eliasx1

Sputnik

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

accessory case on top of telescope case

Attached Files

#4 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Really nice find! Thanks for the info.

#5 Spankenstein

Spankenstein

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

What model case is that?

#6 eliasx1

eliasx1

Sputnik

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

It is pelican 1780 with foam

#7 ih8usrnames

ih8usrnames

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wheaton Illinois

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

I was looking for a case for mine and ultimately built an ATA style case for it. I have a thread in this group someplace showing pics of it.

Nice job.

#8 dan_uk

dan_uk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

I've actually just purchased one of these for my LX90 12" ACF, however I've found that I cannot close the case with the foam that lines the lid and bottom of the case.

Did you come across this issue as well? If so how did you manage to modify the foam? The middle foam is 4 layers of pick and pluck so those will be fine. My only concern is if I reduce the thickness of the lining foam it may compromise the safety of my scope!

I certainly have to agree with the build quality of the case, seems very solid and the lifetime guarantee is re-assuring.

#9 eliasx1

eliasx1

Sputnik

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

My case comes about 1/2 inch away from closing. The thin pieces of foam that line the scope are preventing it from closing. My way of solving this problem is to press down in the center of the case and latch. This has worked for me for about a year. I am careful when transporting my scope. It has never been dropped so I can't say if it can survive rough handling.

#10 dan_uk

dan_uk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, I just happened to have finished cutting my foam when I saw this!

Just for anyone else that's purchased this, I ended up cutting into the lining foam and then gluing in some thinner pick and pluck blocks in the middle of the gap which has worked really well.

#11 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

The thin pieces of foam that line the scope are preventing it from closing.

I have the JMI and it's rigid foam prevents this, but also makes the ride for the scope harder. Yours will be softer and you won't have to worry about chaffing like the hard stuff.

Good job!

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics