Binocular Universe: Hero of Song and Story

By Phil Harrington

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

Hi Phil,

It's the rainy season down here in South Florida and observing opportunities are far and few. It's also the time of year I use binoculars the most. Not only do I enjoy the wide field views, but observing with hand held binoculars on a lawn chair can be convenient when a torrential downpour sneaks up on me!

I enjoyed comparing the two globular clusters, M13 and M92. The differences I found are that M92 is a bit dimmer and smaller with a bright core, whereas M13 looks like a homogeneous cotton ball. I did find the SS Hercules! I was expecting to see the 'mast' in a North-South orientation (don't know why) instead of its E-NE direction. It was a fun little asterism to observe.

Unfortunately, I did not see D-D 9 or NGC 6210, primarily because of light pollution, and also because the clouds were rolling through by then. Ditto that for the Zigzag. I'll try again the next opportunity.

Finally, Rasalgethi appears to me as a light, yellowish amber color. By looking at it long enough I can see the reddish twinkle you describe.

Thanks for this one, and all your great articles on binocular observing.

Ed D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics