Gemini II modeling versus MaxPoint

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

First off, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this. I wasn't too sure since it covers both a mount and software related specifically to controlling a mount.

I have been looking at the Gemini II modeling procedure and I do find it cumbersome. So I was thinking has anybody who owns a Gemini II tried Maxpoint? Does it add any value to a mount that already has built in modeling capabilities?

Is there any script out there that can be installed in MaximDL to achieve the same thing using the Gemini II built in modeling capabilities, but without user intervention the same way maxpoint does it? You know, a script to take a picture plate solve, sync (with driver set to add to model with each sync), then script picks new target in a different part of the sky and repeats the process.

#2 akoroves

akoroves

Vostok 1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Did you figure out if you could take a picture and plate solve to align your scope using gemini 2?

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Maxpoint will make it better; I haven't used it with a G2 but I have used it with a CGEM. It was very accurate. However, you're using MaximDL right? Just utilize Pinpoint and astrometric solving to center your objects. It's defined how to do this in the manual and it's very accurate. Better than any modeling will ever be since it's using truth data.

GL,
Chris

#4 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

i have been using AstroTortilla to accomplish this, and it does work, but after a while the G2 goes crazy and its pointing model becomes insane. in fact i just posted a question about this on the Gemini-II mailing list. as far as i know AT is only doing "SYNC" commands but apparently the G2 does not like this.

other than that though, it's great. cold start, slew the mount, take a picture, solve, sync, slew... the object is in the field. iterate one more time and the object is dead in the center of the chip.

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Astrotortilla? What's that Pfile?

#6 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

astrotortilla is a wrapper (get it?) around astrometry.net's blind solver, with an ASCOM interface. i've never used pinpoint or maxpoint or that stuff, but i think it's similar.

it can control some cameras, so you point your scope somewhere and have it take a picture, then solve it, and then it can tell the mount where it's pointing with the SYNC command. if it can't control your camera, you can always point it at an image with the File Open dialog box.

the best part of it is that it's got a pre-compiled version of astrometry.net's tools. it's a little hard to compile on windows, so it's great to have something that will just install it.

the only downside is that you have to request the "index" files from the astrometry.net guys. and the index files are huge (the index files contain all the stars). having said that, they have apparently just finished making new index files that are freely downloadable. i have not yet given them a try though.

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Interesting. Sounds like a great product :) Are you using it with Nebulosity or APT?

#8 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

actually, neither - equinox image right now (new STT-8300M against a macbook air)

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Cool. You still using PI? I was reading some posts on there from you.

#10 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

yep, i am a diehard PI user :)

#11 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I'm slowly learning.. just figured out tonight that you're supposed to process your L and RGB seperately and recombine later.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics