31 replies to this topic

#26 laidman

laidman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Jeju City, Jeju Island, South Korea

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi everyone.
Sorry for dragging this post to the top again.
I had some unexpected stuff happen over the summer, so I never had a chance to update on what I went with...
I went with the Astrotrac, along with the polar scope and the Astrotrac mount. It's a very nice piece of kit and very easy to align!
Anyway, here are a couple of pics from my first real night out (well very early morning) out with it. Now that I'm back in korea, the not-awesome skies as well as work, etc. really do their best to get in the way!

The Orion shot is 10 75 second shots stacked in DSS with some darks and biases, from a school field right next to my apartment. I was surprised at how dark it was, and am looking forward to going out to a much, much darker site to which I've gone a few times before.
Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f/4 at f/4, ISO 800.
Canan 40D

Attached Files

#27 laidman

laidman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Jeju City, Jeju Island, South Korea

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

And this second shot is of Jupiter and three of its moons (I think Io was being eclipsed when I took this shot), as well as a comet that surprised me when I saw it on the LCD! If anyone can tell me what it was or where to found out was it was it would be appreciated!

Taken with a Canon 40D, Sigma 150-500mm at 500mm with a Kenko Pro 300 2x teleconverter (for a total of 1600mm equivalent!) for 60 seconds. I was impressed the Astrotrac tracked that well at that focal length! I look forward to being out again when I can do a more thorough polar alignment and see what I can come up with.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help on selecting a mount.

Attached Files

#28 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

1 arcsec RMS?!?! I see the PECPrep graph but I don't understand how 1" RMS is possible when the peak-to-peak is about +/- 10"

But getting +/- 10" peak-to-peak out of an EQ-1 is still fantastic. Wonder where I can get a Japan one. Or better, one with a full declination worm gear, not just a tangent arm.

#29 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

No bright comets near Jupiter, I'm afraid. it's a reflection.

#30 themos

themos

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

I guess the peak-to-peak value is that high because of a single spike whereas the RMS value captures the more common, typical oscillations.

#31 JWW

JWW

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona or Mexico hard to tell

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

How about a Kenko SkyMemo? Talk about a super light setup and excellent build quality.

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1591

-JWW:

#32 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

+1 for the Skymemo....I love mine.
It's a little pricey but excellent quality.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics