•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 6826 Blinking Planetary

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

I was only able to observe for a short while last night. First I looked at Saturn which was great as usual. I am wanting to sketch Saturn but am having a hard time making a decent template using Gimp. Problem is I just don't know enough about Gimp to use it properly.

If anyone has a Saturn template with the present day ring tilt and would be willing to share it then let me know.

After Saturn, I turn toward planetary Neb. NGC 6826 at lower power say 100x using averted vision it would blink. When I increased power to 448x it did not blink anymore and this is the power that I wanted to sketch at.

I couldn't tease out as much detail as some of the other planetary nebs. I recently sketched. The night sky did not seem stable and the full moon was out. So maybe that contributed to the lack of detail I was hoping for. Central Star is very distinct in this one. Thanks for looking.

Posted Image

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Skylab

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Christopher,

Very nice sketch of the Blinking Planetary :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#3 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Christopher,

a very nice sketch. As for the template of Saturn, I am sure some of the artists in this forum will be more than willing to send you one. With the size of my scope, I have good results just drawing using a plastic multi-shapes stencil.

Jean

#4 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks. That's a good idea. I never thought about using a stencil to make a master print. How would I do the rings?

I am still trying with Gimp just not there yet.

#5 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

How would I do the rings?

The stencil I use have cercles and ellipses. I use the ellipse for the rings. It is not perfect but as I said for my scope is does the trick!

Here is an exemple of a very quick draft. The tilt of the rings, I think, can be adjusted choosing a more open or close ellipse.

Jean

Attached Files

#6 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Jean

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics