• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Craig

Craig

Vendor (Stark Labs)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Irvine, CA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Both Nebulosity and PHD Guiding are designed from the ground up to be cross platform (Windows and Mac) applications, but hardware support on the Mac has always been more limited as many hardware makers don't provide Mac drivers or even source code one might use to create drivers. This leads to a gap between the two platforms.

I'm happy to say that the gap is narrowing a bit more. I've recently been writing the code needed to support the QHY cameras on the OS X version of Nebulosity (while at the same time adding native support on Windows). So far, I've ported and tested the original 8 (in there for some time), the 8Pro, 9, and 10. In theory, support for the 8L and 12 is also in place and other cameras can be added down the road. I'd like to thank QHY here - without the source code posted to their website, this wouldn't have happened.

So, now the Mac supports Canon DSLRs, Fishcamp, Meade DSIs, many QHYs, the QSIs, SBIGs, and Starlight Xpress. Not a bad list to chose from!

If you've got a Mac and one of these QHYs, I invite you to try out the 3.0.9 pre-release . In particular, if you've got a QHY12 or 8L, I'd love some feedback. It's quite possible there are bugs still on these as I've not got either of these here for testing. Remember, the free download runs in demo mode just so that you can try out hardware and see if you like things or not (saved images are permanently degraded). Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

Craig

#2 SBrian

SBrian

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire USA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Good afternoon Craig... Thanks for posting the Nebulosity help support for MAC's. I am switching from PC to MAC and trying to make all my stuff work is not an easy task. Currently I'm working to get Nebulosity working, but suffering some setbacks with image download issues using QHY12 camera. I'm using a Mac Book Pro with a Retina display, yep latest and greatest of the MACs. Here is the feed back you asked for. ;)
First problem is the slow download speed, slower that my old PC... Second problem is the downloaded image in frame mode, one third of the image is split into a horizontal lines. Second, Image preview looks normal, Third, Image capture has black dots running at 45degs to the image. Seems that the data read from the camera at different resolution creates some problems in the image output.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Craig

Best regards

Steve

#3 Craig

Craig

Vendor (Stark Labs)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Irvine, CA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

Please contact me off group and we will get it squared away ...

Craig

#4 SBrian

SBrian

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire USA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Will do.

Thanks

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics