• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#101 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Interesting that your insulation does not have paper backing. Maybe that's just something they do down there. I would hope you will eventually panel that area to keep the fiberglass particulates contained. That's fairly nasty stuff and over an extended period of time and exposure could lead to silicosis.

#102 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Great work on your observatory build. I know few people that could do something like that. A couple of questions if you don't mind. 1. Do you plan to insulate the dome? 2. How was the pier extension coupled to the original pier? Did you drill holes and epoxy rebar into it? Thanks. Great work.

#103 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

What an awesome observatory! Thanks for sharing the experience with us all :)

#104 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Picked up the wood today for building the staircase from the bottom to the top floor of the observatory. Beautifully seasoned and STRAIGHT cypress.

Can't wait to start working it!

Posted Image

#105 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

Gets better every time I look here. Amazing job.

#106 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

Sorry it's been a while since my last update. Lots of building materials have arrived so it looks like I'm going to be a very busy boy for a few weeks now! Here's what's happening:

Inside fitout begins.

It's been a big week for the observatory this week. I was able to purchase the thin plywood interior wall panelling and even cut some to size and fitted two sheets.

I tested a corner of the cypress slabs I picked up last week by belt-sanding them with some 40 grit to get the saw-marks out of it, then rubbed some raw linseed oil into the test-patch to see the colour. The yellow-gold natural colour takes on a rich red-gold.

I applied by letter to my local government for a large log that one of their services had a stockpile of. To my delight, they approved and happily donated a log.

I found a magnificent pine log, well seasoned with the bark just falling off it. It is my intention to cut it four ways down the length, to cut a post out of the middle of it. The post will be kept aside while the rounded slices will sandwich around the centre pier downstairs, making the pier look like a big tree-trunk. This will then be sanded and rubbed with raw linseed oil, as will the stairs and handrails.

Link to construction page http://www.asignobse...nstruction.htm"" target="_blank">here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#107 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

That cypress wood is beautiful!

#108 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

..... This will then be sanded and rubbed with raw linseed oil, as will the stairs and handrails....

Raw linseed oil won't polymerize (harden).
It will get on your hands whenever you touch the oiled wood.
You want to use boiled linseed oil, which will harden.
Properly dispose of oiling cloths, as they can spontaneously combust.
If it's the look of oiled wood that you like, you might want to consider this formulation:
1/3 Boiled linseed oil
1/3 Spar varnish or polyurethane
1/3 Solvent such as real turpentine or paint thinner
Google for precise instructions for applying, but you basically slop it on, wait, and then wipe off the excess. You can build up coats until you're satisfied with the finish.
It dries faster and works better than plain boiled linseed oil

dan k.

#109 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

..... This will then be sanded and rubbed with raw linseed oil, as will the stairs and handrails....

Raw linseed oil won't polymerize (harden).
It will get on your hands whenever you touch the oiled wood.
You want to use boiled linseed oil, which will harden.
Properly dispose of oiling cloths, as they can spontaneously combust.
If it's the look of oiled wood that you like, you might want to consider this formulation:
1/3 Boiled linseed oil
1/3 Spar varnish or polyurethane
1/3 Solvent such as real turpentine or paint thinner
Google for precise instructions for applying, but you basically slop it on, wait, and then wipe off the excess. You can build up coats until you're satisfied with the finish.
It dries faster and works better than plain boiled linseed oil

dan k.

Thanks Dan. Boiled linseed oil is actually what I have, not raw, so that's great. It's been sitting in my shed for over 10 years. I'm not even sure how it got there. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into the mixture ratios you've suggested.

Baz.

#110 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Interesting that your insulation does not have paper backing. Maybe that's just something they do down there. I would hope you will eventually panel that area to keep the fiberglass particulates contained. That's fairly nasty stuff and over an extended period of time and exposure could lead to silicosis.

It's fibreglass wool, not teeribly dangerous unless you are cutting and ripping it up. As you can see from the last set of photos. It's getting covered up. I can't imagine anyone ever leaving it exposed...

#111 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Great work on your observatory build. I know few people that could do something like that. A couple of questions if you don't mind. 1. Do you plan to insulate the dome? 2. How was the pier extension coupled to the original pier? Did you drill holes and epoxy rebar into it? Thanks. Great work.

No. Not insulating the dome. Period.

The old pier had threaded studs poking out of the top of it. I simply welded the new rebar to them and continued pouring concrete inside the extension form-work.

Baz.

#112 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

... Boiled linseed oil is actually what I have, not raw, so that's great. It's been sitting in my shed for over 10 years. I'm not even sure how it got there.

Baz.

There's a good chance it's turned to jelly in 10 years, Baz. <g>
Whatever oiled finish you use, dispose of the cloths in a safe manner. Toss them in a pail of water overnight, unfold and air dry them. They're safe to throw away at that point.
That's some nice looking cypress that you have. Have fun.

dan k.

#113 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

... Boiled linseed oil is actually what I have, not raw, so that's great. It's been sitting in my shed for over 10 years. I'm not even sure how it got there.

Baz.

There's a good chance it's turned to jelly in 10 years, Baz. <g>
Whatever oiled finish you use, dispose of the cloths in a safe manner. Toss them in a pail of water overnight, unfold and air dry them. They're safe to throw away at that point.
That's some nice looking cypress that you have. Have fun.

dan k.

Bought 5 litres of new oil today with some turps. This will be fun!

Baz.

#114 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

1. Big sanding job! Got one slab of cypress de-barked and sanded down at lunch time. Look at the comparison with the sanded and unsanded slabs!
Posted Image

Debarked and sanded on top and both sides. Ready to make stairs!
2. Posted Image

#115 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

The paneling will really add to the beauty of the observatory! That cyprus is unbelievably beautiful! Too beautiful to walk on! :lol:

#116 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

1. Sanding down the cypress slabs
Posted Image

2. All six sanded ready to build stairs.
Posted Image

3. Eucalypt deadwood handrail.
Posted Image

4. Handrail on tread
Posted Image

5. Wall panels in. Trims, skirts and architraves to go.
Posted Image

#117 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

1. Cut the hole through the inside and outside walls to fit the tubing for the air conditioner. Cut some steel mesh to size and fitted inside to keep the insects out. Sealed with silicone.
Posted Image

2. Built a small roof over the air-con outlet to stop rain from entering the tube.
Posted Image

3. Air-con fitted into the wall.
Posted Image

#118 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

This observatory does get better and better every time I look at it. I would have to disagree about the way you mounted the AC exhaust though. I have one of those portable units (looks suspiciously like the on you have and they require minimal obstruction to the airflow to work correctly. The manual gives so many warnings about how much kink you can have in the exhaust pipe before the Aircon looses cooling effectiveness. Try and get hold of one of those clothes driers exhaust covers that automatically open when there is airflow from the AFC unit. When you switch off the AC, the flaps fall to the closed position. That way, the air flows out more freely.

#119 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

This observatory does get better and better every time I look at it. I would have to disagree about the way you mounted the AC exhaust though. I have one of those portable units (looks suspiciously like the on you have and they require minimal obstruction to the airflow to work correctly. The manual gives so many warnings about how much kink you can have in the exhaust pipe before the Aircon looses cooling effectiveness. Try and get hold of one of those clothes driers exhaust covers that automatically open when there is airflow from the AFC unit. When you switch off the AC, the flaps fall to the closed position. That way, the air flows out more freely.

There is no kink. The flexi tubing has been removed and how there is only a 6 inch straight plastic tube straight out the back of the unit to the outside.

#120 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Quick update.

I poured a concrete path to lead into the observatory off the main path.

I've been collecting bits of wood on the job at opportune trees we remove or prune. It's taking some time, but I've got some nice bits for handrails and banister. I still need three posts 2.6 metres x 100-150 mm in diameter for the stairs.

Getting there.

Baz.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#121 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Great job. So much fun reading this thread. What a great place to wash down a Foster's . Bob

#122 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

Finally I have a finished banner and some variants for the observatory's website to give it a fresh new look. My graphic artist has been tirelessly working with me to come up with a concept together then work his magic!

He's given me a fully-rendered banner, watermarks for the new photos out of the telescope and stuff for embroidery, mugs, t-shirts or whatever!

The new banner is on top of my page below. I'm very happy with it!

As I publish the other variants, I'll show them off.

http://www.asignobservatoryii.com/

#123 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

I've run out of money (looks like for quite a while now) so all I can do is the jobs that cost nothing. Today I sanded down another log for the stair supports then started digging the garden bed. The quality of the dirt is rubbish so I'll have to get rid of it and replace it with some good soil. I also have to dig two trenches in it, one for the drainage pipe near the wall to lay in, plus another on the outside of the bed to run a row of rocks in for the edge.

1. Sanded down log for stair support
Posted Image
2. removed the lawn and weeds to expose the bare clay.
Posted Image
3. Digging in the trench near the slab's edge for the drainage pipe.
Posted Image
4. Starting to lay in the rock edge.
Posted Image

#124 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:38 AM

Got busy today and dug the trenches all the way around for the drainage pipe and a row of border rocks.

Started on cutting the underlay to size for the obs and laid it in on the top floor, ready for carpet tomorrow.

1. Garden bed
Posted Image
2. My home-made compass for drawing big circles...
Posted Image
3. Underlay cut to size
Posted Image
4. Relax'n with an ale at the end of the day on the quiet underlay.
Posted Image

#125 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Got some carpet cut and put down on the floor. Now to get it layed properly and then steam-cleaned.

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics