Looking good!

#127 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Tim!

Finally!! Work has started on the stairs!

The builder's carpenter turned up today and together, we plotted out the stairs. There's a lot to watch out for with building standards, made even more challenging by the curve. Stair calculations are fairly simple though, once you get the hang of them. I just happen to be doing a tertiary course right now and just last week, we had an assessment on stair calculations. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!! ;)

With it all marked out, this week I'm going to crack on with cutting the support posts, fitting them and cutting the hole in the top floor larger to stop people from hitting their heads as they ascend the stair.

Posted Image

#128 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Tim!

With it all marked out, this week I'm going to crack on with cutting the support posts, fitting them and cutting the hole in the top floor larger to stop people from hitting their heads as they ascend the stair.

Posted Image

Definitely not the kind of stars people want to see! :grin: Or as I like to put it, headbanging is only good to Metallica or Judas Priest.

#129 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

Today I got an early mark from tech school, so I came home to work on the observatory.

I had another log to inspect and grade to see if it was good enough to support the stair stringers. This one had several layers of rot, but it was a beautiful piece of wood. I used a rotary chisel to rake back all the layers until I was happy with what was left. It turned out pretty darned good actually. So far I haven't yet oiled them, so their true colour is yet to come out, but I have left the borer insect marks on the wood as I just love the look.

1. Stairs marked out.
Posted Image

2. Log to strip back.
Posted Image

3. Scribbly little suckers. These patterns are gonna stay!
Posted Image

4. Three posts in position.
Posted Image

#130 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Laying in the drainage pipe.

Posted Image

#131 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

Drainage in, shrubbery planted and garden mulched.

Posted Image

#132 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Very nice design and updates! I love seeing the photos as well. You have a very interesting project here, I'm only too happy that you're sharing it with all of us.

#133 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

What kind of shrubs did you plant?

#134 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

Very nice design and updates! I love seeing the photos as well. You have a very interesting project here, I'm only too happy that you're sharing it with all of us.

My pleasure mate!

Baz.

#135 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

What kind of shrubs did you plant?

Mexican orange blossoms. They grow to about 1.2 metres, are evergreen and hedge well.

#136 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

Progress on the stairs. Four stringers cut to the correct angle and calculated for the rise, tread and number of steps. Posts rebated to firmly seat and bolt in each stringer.

Making a massive mess of the space, but it will look a million bucks when I'm done!

Posted Image

#137 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

Today was probably the most productive day I've had on the observatory in a long time. Not only did I get hours of precious time, but I also trialled a couple of new tools.

One was a flap disk to fit the angle grinder. It's a round disk covered in overlaying sections of very coarse abrasive. I used it to strip the bark off the wood I am using for the balusters.

The other is a rotary chisel. This is also a round blade for the angle grinder, but it has only three teeth in it. It takes of massive amounts of wood in a single pass and is also very dangerous.

Finally, instead of trying to manoeuvre the belt-sander all over the wood, I turned it upside down on the saw-horse and clamped it down. Now I can move the smaller and lighter pieces of wood over the belt sander with ease. The trick now is to watch the knuckles as I de-skinned two until I got a good technique.

I got the top of the stairs (top floor) cut to match the vertical line of the stringers, plus dressed the hole with some big pine. The stringers are all bolted in and I made a start on the hand-rails and balusters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#138 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm loving the staircase railing and supports! Really nice to recycle wood; and this wood is beautiful!

#139 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

That stairs is going to look so cool with the local wood instead of the typical pine or fir.

#140 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

Thanks guys!

WOOT WOOT!! YIPPYKAYAY!!

Finally I've made a start on the treads. The first one was the hardest, just working out how best to mark the template and deciding if I was going to go flush with the outer wall or take the tread right into the wall.

It worked out a lot more secure to go into the wall, fastening supporting timber inside the steel studs. Now I've got two treads in, custom cut to fit exactly. As I showed my wife and bragged about my superior craftsmanship, I jumped hard on both treads - SOLID AS A ROCK!

I'm well pleased. The second tread was a lot faster than the first, so now that I have a technique worked out, I should be able to get around three in every hour I get in there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#141 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

That staircase is super awesome! Recycling the available wood +1, and another +1 for the beautiful, natural beauty that railing brings to your observatory!

#142 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

That's going to be lovely when you're done!

#143 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Ready for oil!

Well.... nearly...

I have one tread at the top of the stairs left to cut and install. It's a bit tricky because it is surrounded on two sides by thick steel and some bolts, lips, edges etc - lots to custom-cut around to make it fit.

The insulation is back in the walls with every nook and cranny stuffed to keep the temperatures out/in and also a bit of soundproofing.

The bulk of the work is done but there are a couple of gaps that I want to fill and tidy up. Now the wall-panelling can be cut for the stairs and fitted on the walls.

Posted Image

Big hole!

As soon as the stairs are dressed, there's the issue of the long drop from the top floor. A bannister needs to be constructed with a gate at the top of the stairs.

Stay tuned for the updates as I get to the task.

Posted Image

#144 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Old fashioned craftsmanship is what that is :bow: I can't wait to see it all stained and finished.

#145 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

^^^ Thanks mate!

Spent today building the upstairs banister out of steel. The thing is rock-steady. Soon I will bolt in some thick board behind it, which gives me three functions.... it blocks some light from below, (even though later there will be drop-hatches over the hole anyway).... it stops my young toddler from crawling through gaps when he's chillin' up there with me..... and finally, it gives me something to put some charts and space photos/posters on. There will be a gate on the end (left of photo) to stop folks from accidentally falling down the stairs.

Posted Image

Downstairs, I cut one more dead tree down to provide the final post on the far left. I also cut the wall-panelling for the stairs. The wall above the stairs is filled, now to put in the panelling for the wall underneath them.

Posted Image

#146 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

great looking :waytogo:

#147 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

great looking :waytogo:

Thank you Jose. :grin:

#148 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Lordy, dude, that staircase is BEAUTIFUL! And quite original! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thought about what to cover your fiberglass insulation with? I used this on the underside of my roll-off roof and it works like a champ.

Well done,
Mike

#149 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Lordy, dude, that staircase is BEAUTIFUL! And quite original! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thought about what to cover your fiberglass insulation with? I used this on the underside of my roll-off roof and it works like a champ.

Well done,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm just going to put Gyprock (plasterboard) up on the ceiling. Good suggestion mate.

Baz.

#150 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

SOOOOOO CLOSE!!

I can almost taste completion! The banister is looking great now filled in, painted, gate on one end and a big thick natural timber handrail to dress it all off.

Upstairs the only big job left is to lay the carpet properly then instal the lighting. That will conclude the upstairs construction and fitout.

Full construction page http://www.asignobse...nstruction.htm"" target="_blank">here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics