ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!!

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#151 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

What a great job on the unstairs banister! I love the yellow markings to give warning it's there! The staircase & railing are absolutely gorgeous! I commend you on using the dead trees around you, & giving them new life in your observatory! :bow:

#152 Orion4211

Orion4211

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North New Jersey

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

This observatory is an inspiration. I love it! and your site and story behind the building of it. Be blessed!

#153 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

This is just tooooooo damn good! IMHO of course. :p Mike

#154 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

Bless you all folks!

Yes, I'm getting pretty excited now that it is so close to finishing and to be quite honest... a little relieved. I've been building this one for around three years and the last one took me over a year to build too.

Once this is complete, then I have to build a pergola/deck of the front of my house which will be a breeze compared to an observatory and hopefully take me a fraction of the time.

Once the deck is done, that's it for big building projects for me. Hopefully then I can just concentrate on creative stuff in the workshop. My Iron Man suit needs to be finished and when that's done, I'm thinking of building a life-sized MK II Colonial Viper in the back yard, to be transported to locations, photographed and eventually sold, making room for the next creative project.

#155 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

1. I sold some of my unused astrophotography accessories this week, so I was able to afford some plasterboard to start covering the ceiling. It will be good to seal all that fibreglass insulation in and fit the lights.
Posted Image

2. I have found some foam-rubber on a roll that seals nicely the gap between the dome-support ring, and the dome ring itself. I've glued it to the bottom ring only, so the top ring slides nicely along it without binding or too much resistance around the circumference of the dome. You can see it just above the unlaid carpet in the picutre below. The other issue is to seal the light-leak from where the dome panels meet the weather skirt, as well as cover the sharp edge of the sheet-metal.
Posted Image

3. I cut some of the foam rubber into short strips and glued them all in. It dresses off nicely and makes it safer and light-proof.
Posted Image

4. Just to give it a bit more of a finished look, I've adhered the caution-tape to it. Looks good and clearly distinguishes the edge of the dome.
Posted Image

5. I think I'll leave it at that for caution-tape or else it will take over. The carpet looks worse and worse as the dome and fittings improve, but the great news is that someone has offered me much nicer carpet!
Posted Image

6. The stairwell is coming lose to completion too. A few sharp edges to clean up and a gap to fill and dress, then some trim around the end of each tread and it's done.
Posted Image

#156 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

The yellow-and-black caution tape is a nice touch. Adds a little color.

What color will the new carpet be? I was thinking perhaps a maroon colored carpet would be nice.

#157 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

The yellow-and-black caution tape is a nice touch. Adds a little color.

What color will the new carpet be? I was thinking perhaps a maroon colored carpet would be nice.

If it's free I can't be too fussy....

#158 Deven Matlick

Deven Matlick

Vendor - Criterion Machine Co. LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Moatsville, WV

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Don't forget vapor barrier in that ceiling!

#159 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Got a spare few dollars this week so I could afford the last two sheets of plasterboard for the ceiling downstairs.

This afternoon, it was a race for the light as the sun set after work. I lay all eight pieces down, built a new compass and drew the radius out to fit inside the round building.

As I ran out of light, I managed to score the paper then used a plasterboard hand-saw to cut one sheet to size.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#160 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

I'll do my best to keep it interesting in it's final stages. I'll have to make my Iron Man build the next saga for you guys. :grin:

I made a start today as I had a few hours of beautiful sunlight to work with this morning.

Rather than purchase or hire those expensive adjustable struts to hold up the plaster, I made up these two supports out of some scrap wood. They are just a fraction too long, which give me the ability to wedge them in under the plasterboard as I hold it up to the ceiling. Easy peasy.

I got half the ceiling up so I should be finished the rest by the end of this weekend.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#161 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Lifting drywall overhead is not fun! Next time I have to do it I am buying a lift.

#162 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Lifting drywall overhead is not fun! Next time I have to do it I am buying a lift.

With the home-made supports it was a breeze Mary.

#163 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

The ceiling is all up. Now it's a matter of joining tape, joint filler and some trim around the exposed edge in the stairwell.

I bought some thick board today for the trap-doors that will seal the heat in downstairs by blocking off the stairwell.

I picked up all the gear today thanks to a wonderful donation by a fellow in Victoria. I'll be getting to work tonight and over the next week to get the ceiling finished and ready for a coat of paint.

The last part of the ceiling was the trickiest, as there were many angle involved, lots of things to get around and rebate for, plus the sheet can't fit in the gap in one piece. I ended up making a template out of 3mm craftwood scraps. I then traced the template onto the plasterboard sheet and cut it out. I had to cut it into four pieces to get it in there though. It's all done though and ready for finishing.

1. Tracing the template
Posted Image
2. Plasterboard cut to shape
Posted Image
3. Fitted
Posted Image

#164 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

Oils ain't oils

All I wanted to do today was apply paintbrush to timber. Unfortunately for my impatience, preparation prolonged my agony for an excruciating hour and a half before I could even wet the brush.

There was the bottom floor to clear of construction tools and materials, then peel up the temporary carpet and underlay. I gave the handrails and treads a final sanding then a meticulous vacuum of all surfaces.

The mix of mineral turpentine and boiled linseed oil was a 50/50 ratio, penetrating the wood deeper and hopefully causing the oil to set harder.

A few minutes after oiling the top couple of treads and stringers, the mix began to release aromas from the Cypress and Eucalypt. Unlike painting with paint, (which is a pain in the butt) oiling wood is a real pleasure. The speed at which the transformation occurs is gratifying and the colour change is stunning - it's richness paralleled only by the smell, which is akin to walking into an antique furniture shop.

Full story http://www.asignobse...nstruction.htm"" target="_blank">here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#165 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Wow! That stairway is just gorgeous! Nice to have such a beautiful touch of nature in a building that, for most of us, is very utilitarian. :waytogo:

-Dan

#166 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

Nice to have such a beautiful touch of nature in a building that, for most of us, is very utilitarian. :waytogo:

-Dan

Well said mate! Thanks!

Baz.

#167 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

What a pretty color! :thewave:

#168 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

Today I got into plastering the joints of the plasterboard, a job I've never attempted. To tell the truth, it was childishly simple, helped by the fact that all the boards are level and flush.

Posted Image

#169 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

You have truly done an awesome amazing job. You should be very proud of what you have built!

#170 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

That wood is absolutely beautiful! And to think it might have just gone to waste had you not visualized the end result!

Amazing job! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#171 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

You have truly done an awesome amazing job. You should be very proud of what you have built!

Not so much proud as the credit goes to God for giving me the skills, drive, motivation and all the assistance He sent me in the form of donations, advice, assistance from around the world.

I feel more of a sense of satisfaction that it was so hard to do and is now realised, plus excitement at the prospect of it's future.

Baz.

#172 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

What dedication! Beautiful job!
My hat's off to you, sir! :bow:

#173 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: London - UK

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

wow...hat's off!!

#174 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Western NH

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Great Job ! Looks very nice

Norm

#175 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

The future for this beautiful observatory, is endless!

:bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics