• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#151 cdndob

cdndob

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Great White North

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:41 AM

40 minutes to blue zone sites, 60 minutes to grey, just over 2 hours to a grey/black border, 3 hours to pitch black.

Normally I stick to the blue zone due to the amenities available, sometimes venture to grey. :)

#152 mjw

mjw

Lift Off

• Loc: Moscow, PA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

I'm in an orange/yellow zone. Four hours from Cherry Springs, Pa (nearest truely dark zone). The "best route" takes me through countless small towns (traffic lights) and never ending road construction. Only made that trip once (I hate driving more than an hour, one way, for anything).  I'm willing to go 2-3 hours if I can camp a couple nights with clear skies.  Problems are: 1) so far I have not found any "dark zone" (green or better) campgrounds in NE PA that have open skies. Everything is under the trees. 2) weather forecasters here can't predict what the skies will be 6 hours in the future, let alone a couple days. 3) It's less fun going alone all the time. I seem to be living in an intellectual dead zone. I know of no one who shares my astronomy interest. Everyone thinks I'm nuts looking at the sky when I could be out drinking, playing video games or watching "the housewives of where-ever". 

#153 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

Denver White Zone....75 minutes to the DAS Dark site (blue zone, Denver light dome to the West), but just returned from the holiday weekend at Mount Princeton, CO......blue zone with no light dome, about 9,000 ft elevation......it's about a 3 hour drive one way, so can't do that on any regular basis, but the skies were fantastic........

Edited by csrlice12, 03 September 2014 - 11:47 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics