• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

I wouldn't Dave, for the very reason Groz proposes. Everytime something like this comes up, and we vote for this or that (whatever it is), very seldom does the money go where it's supposed to. And it often costs more than 2-3x what it should or was agreed to. And when the program is supposed to end, the tax is most often never canceled, just rediverted to another "need".

All this is why I'm looking forward to companies like SpaceX and others to take the lead.

#77 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Well, as long as we're talking hypotheticals, the hypothetical here is that we would know and be able to verify that the funds are actually going where they are intended.

I know how diversion works, I was a professional victim of it for many years.

As you can tell from the other thread, I'm a big fan of SpaceX and privatized space commerce myself. But they don't have the same mandate that NASA does, and they can't do the things that NASA is mandated to do. NASA, I think, will always have to take the lead.

The only reason SpaceX is doing what it's doing is because Elon Musk is a mad genius. Most private companies will not be willing to take that same level of risk. NASA, in my perfect fantasy world, should be the one taking the risks and breaking new ground. That's what can justify their higher costs.

And finally -- sorry, my bad -- this thread should be about China's space program, which is very impressive. I'll try to stick to that from here on out.

#78 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Dave, the thread is not only about China's program. Here is the Original Post:

[i]"China is beefing up their manned space program, to include voyages to the moon and Mars.

Here are some details:
http://www.explorema...s-on-mars-china

Questions for discussion:

Shouldn't the U.S. being doing likewise?
Why isn't the U.S. doing likewise?"

#79 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Right-o!

I do think the US should be conducting an integrated manned + robotic program of systematic exploration. I also think we should do it in partnership with the EU, with Russia, India, South Korea, and Japan. (And at some point, China too).

As for politics, I think such partnerships themselves, and our contributions to them, should be matters of national pride. And to further the pipe dream, I think we should not only fund our own share adequately, but encourage those other partners to hold up their ends.

We aren't doing any of that, and about all I can hope for is that China's success may trigger some sort of national shame that we aren't.

For that reason, and simply because I want to see knowledge progress, I applaud China's efforts.

#80 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

BTW, I think China's government is doing this now in part to rub it in our faces. If we could convince the politicians of that, we might have a shot to increase NASA funding.

Also, the Chinese government remains essentially a dictatorship. If they decided the country should go to Mars, the citizenry would have no say in the matter: China would go to Mars.

- Roy

#81 alegator

alegator

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:10 AM

If the US has almost unlimited money to fund its military, why can't it divert a small percentage of it to the space program to lead again in manned space exploration? Wouldn't that be considered as strategic as having the strongest military in the world? If so, there wouldn't be a need to raise taxes, or am I missing something?

#82 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Seems to me there is some incredibly short-sighted stuff being said here. :(

The fact is we simply don't know what, if any, benefits to humankind would eventually come to fruition should we further our space program.

I'm not even going to start in on a list of human endeavors, considered even folly at the time, that went on to have "value," monetary and otherwise.

We have no idea what the ultimate "destiny" of our species may be. We went from the Wright Brothers' almost laughable flying machine, through the Saturn V behemoth and the Space Shuttle in one human lifetime!

Who's to say what the future holds?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics