• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#226 saptharishi

saptharishi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bangalore, India

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

Finally I received mine yesterday :) It took about a week to reach me from Poland. The reason it took a week is due to customs clearance. Thankfully customs didn't slap any tax or duty on it. It is an absolute wealth of information for reference. I am very happy with my investment :)

#227 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Glad to hear it!

I made it under the wire :) Got my shipping info today... thanks to all for keeping the thread alive -

#228 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

OK - Couldn't resist and ordered at the snail mail rate. I 'NEED' this like another hole in the head but it appeals to the bookworm in me. there is something about books and paper charts I like over the computerized stuff.

100% agree!! When I was young, I would sit with a star atlas and just look at it for hours.

Jason

#229 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Their web site states "there are only a few dozens left and the edition will not be reissued". I ordered via PayPal ($99) on Oct 25 and received a note from Mr. Brych on Oct 26 with shipping info!
This nostalgic treasure will be added to my Observatory library collection and referenced from the warm room table. Call me old-fashioned, but there is certainly something to be said for the look and feel of hard copy print for future generations of amateurs! (Yes, I do have and use technology also!)

I ordered mine on 10/23 ($99 snail-mail), and received an email from Piotr yesterday telling me that he had shipped it on 10/29! I'm a happy guy! :D

#230 DGB

DGB

Sputnik

• Loc: Reva, Virginia USA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

OK - Couldn't resist and ordered at the snail mail rate. I 'NEED' this like another hole in the head but it appeals to the bookworm in me. there is something about books and paper charts I like over the computerized stuff.

But I also Like the computerized stuff for what it's best at.

Donovan, hope you like ST3pro - I love it :) ! Some very nifty / handy '3 view' options, chart/print options.

I really like what I've read about ST3Pro so far; can't wait to give it a whirl and see if expectations are met!

#231 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Just curious if anyone has an image of this Atlas and one of the other larger atlases for a size comparison? Not so much for detail in charts, more just for 'how does it compare sizewise'.

#232 DixonAgee

DixonAgee

Lift Off

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

There are photos in a different CN thread, in case you haven't found your answer by now. http://tinyurl.com/cjhhpc7

Clear Skies

- Bruce Agee

#233 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Bruce!

#234 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Moderators
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

I caved...bought my second copy (I bought a copy when they first came out)..at this price I am taking a suggestion from above and looking into having it bound in the open position.

I am intrigued by the thought of having it bound. What kind of a binding were you considering?

I was going to take the actual Atlas when it arrives, to a local bookbinder and see what they recommend. I am thinking along the traditional lines of a "hardback" book, since I have the other copy. I don't know exactly how this will be done as, even though I have had bookbinding work done before, I am not an expert by any means. I do want it in the full page format (not folded) other than that I am open to their thinking.

#235 Rudra

Rudra

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

Here is my modest collection of astronomy books. Posted Image

#236 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Just curious if anyone has an image of this Atlas and one of the other larger atlases for a size comparison? Not so much for detail in charts, more just for 'how does it compare sizewise'.

There are images and links in this chain. This is very large (very detailed for print down to mag 12) and very heavy. It is looselief bound with a zipper. Have not yet used it in the field, but if I do it most likely will be with individual sheets in the platic selected before observing.

#237 Fimpster

Fimpster

Vanguard

• Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

Coming late to this thread I was worried I had missed my opportunity. Not So. I just ordered one from Agena Astro for $139. It was cheaper than the express option from Poland, and I dont think I could wait two months just to save another $40. This book has been on my wishlist for a few years now. I had been very close to pulling the trigger at $260 numerous times. And at this price I am ecstatic! woohoo

#238 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I guarantee that you'll be very happy with it. Definitely a bargain at $139.

#239 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Coming late to this thread I was worried I had missed my opportunity. Not So. I just ordered one from Agena Astro for $139. It was cheaper than the express option from Poland, and I dont think I could wait two months just to save another $40. This book has been on my wishlist for a few years now. I had been very close to pulling the trigger at $260 numerous times. And at this price I am ecstatic! woohoo

It is easy to wait. Just pretend it is not in print yet. :lol: :foreheadslap:

Plus you are rewarded $40 for waiting.

#240 DGB

DGB

Sputnik

• Loc: Reva, Virginia USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

The mailman delivered my 'Great Atlas' yesterday. Six weeks from Poland via International snail mail, through customs, across the pond and at my door for $99, not bad AT ALL!

As a tribute to honor Sir Patrick Moore (He passed away today at the age of 89), I will break-in this Atlas by locating all 109 of the Caldwell Objects first.

Thanks Piotr for your service and commitment to the amateur astronomy community! (And thanks for the personalized autograph!).

Donovan,

#241 operascope

operascope

Mariner 2

• Loc: Canada

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

Oh, rats. I never thought to ask him to sign my copy. :foreheadslap:

#242 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Seeing as I ordered mine on 10/23, it should should be here any time, now!

:jump:

Edit: I arrived about a half hour ago... it is huge! I started putting it together, and decided that the hole reinforcements are not only a good idea, they're pretty much a necessity!

I love the "leather" portfolio that holds it all together! I have to say that once it's all put together it really has to be stored on its side, flat. Otherwise, I'm thinking that the weight of the pages will stress the holes even if they're reinforced. Just an observation.

Anyway, it's off to Staple's for the really thin hole reinforcements. :D

#243 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

WOW! this thing is huge!... really nice charting as well - very impressive! Well done!

#244 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Well, two hours, and 564 carefully applied hole reinforcement rings later, and the Atlas is assembled and is ready for use.

FYI, I used the white, self-adhesive hole reinforcements being sold by Target under their "up&up" house brand. They come 544 in a pack for less than $3.00. They appear to be plastic, are very thin, and are very easy to work with. The pages all fit in the binder rings with room to spare!

I used a small flat-bladed screwdriver (a "7-level screwdriver" for all you ex-AF electronic tech. people) to position the rings over the punched holes, so that made the job of applying them go even faster. I believe it took just over 2 hours to apply one ring to each hole on each page. Yeah, it was a bit of a PITA, but it was also kind of relaxing, and now that it's done I'm glad I did it.

What a wonderful Atlas that Piotr has produced! I'm looking at it, going through its pages, looking at the binder... I can't believe that he is willing to sell them for only $99 shipped, as it actually appears he may well be taking a loss by doing so, given the sorry state of the world economy! What an amazing value!

In any event, it's an amazing work, and I consider myself fortunate to have a copy of it. Thank you, Piotr! :D

#245 Full Sun

Full Sun

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

The Great Atlas just received from Piotr. This was an immense undertaking , I mean just carrying to the car from the Post Office. Seriously, this is a serious body of work presented on a very large scale, presenting distant suns down to Mag 12, shipped from Poland, and all for the price of a new plossl. Well done Piotr .Verdict; recommend 'Buy'.

Total transit time- Warsaw to Toronto=5weeks.

#246 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

The Great Atlas just received from Piotr. This was an immense undertaking , I mean just carrying to the car from the Post Office. Seriously, this is a serious body of work presented on a very large scale, presenting distant suns down to Mag 12, shipped from Poland, and all for the price of a new plossl. Well done Piotr .

You're right, it is serious. And anyone considering the one-volume U2000 ought to consider this as well; far more detailed, still one volume, and close to the same price. I think it'll be a long, long time before anything trumps this one.

#247 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I just placed an order, I was told he had 10 copies left.
Now there is 9.
Was told it will take 4-6 weeks .

#248 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

The Great Atlas just received from Piotr. This was an immense undertaking , I mean just carrying to the car from the Post Office. Seriously, this is a serious body of work presented on a very large scale, presenting distant suns down to Mag 12, shipped from Poland, and all for the price of a new plossl. Well done Piotr .

You're right, it is serious. And anyone considering the one-volume U2000 ought to consider this as well; far more detailed, still one volume, and close to the same price. I think it'll be a long, long time before anything trumps this one.

+2

#249 Fimpster

Fimpster

Vanguard

• Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I received mine a couple of weeks ago from Agena, just a few days after I ordered it. WOW, I knew it would be huge and heavy , but I was still impressed. I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and put the reinforcer rings on. I dont plan to use pages in the field, this will just be an indoor desk reference.

#250 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Do you apply the reinforcing rings on both sides ?
If so does it all fit back into the binder

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics