"Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#251 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

I did put rings on both sides and it makes for a very tight fit in the binder. I decided to remove all the charts from the southern sky thst I cannot use and store the in the original box. Now pages turn freely.

#252 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I used the white, self-adhesive hole reinforcements being sold by Target under their "up&up" house brand. They come 544 in a pack for less than $3.00. They appear to be plastic, are very thin, and are very easy to work with.

I applied them to one side only, and the pages all fit in the binder rings with room to spare! However, I think if I had applied them to both sides of the page, it may have been a bit of a tight fit. But it's hard to say, as those rings really are pretty thin.

If you have a micrometer, or dial calipers, you should be able to measure the thickness of the rings plus the pages, and come up with a ballpark idea of how they'd fit based on how thick each page with the rings added would be, multiplied by the number of pages, compared to just the thickness of the pages alone, multiplied by the same number of pages.

#253 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'd just do one side. I mean, how rough do you really want to treat this thing?!

#254 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

We all know Rick Woods has little respect for astro books. ;) :p

When I ordered the reinforcers for my GAOTS I didn't even know there were different thicknesses to be had, so whether they are thick or thin ones I couldn't say. (They were transparent and didn't seem particularly thick.)

What I can say is that they were applied to both sides (because I have more respect for my books than Rick does for his...) and it certainly bulked up that edge, but everything still fits between the covers with room to spare.

You will probably be fine reinforcing just one side, and it will save you a lot of time and a small amount of depth.

#255 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Agh! My secret is out!

#256 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I received mine a couple of weeks ago from Agena, just a few days after I ordered it. WOW, I knew it would be huge and heavy , but I was still impressed. I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and put the reinforcer rings on. I dont plan to use pages in the field, this will just be an indoor desk reference.

Agena had this? Did Manish have another one? I emailed him to find out.

#257 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I received mine a couple of weeks ago from Agena, just a few days after I ordered it. WOW, I knew it would be huge and heavy , but I was still impressed. I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and put the reinforcer rings on. I dont plan to use pages in the field, this will just be an indoor desk reference.

Agena had this? Did Manish have another one? I emailed him to find out.

As I understand it, Agena was the sole U.S. seller.

#258 Piotr Brych

Piotr Brych

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

The stocks of The Great Atlas of the Sky became exhausted on December 23rd. Still, all orders paid for after that date will be finalized since I am now collecting the unsold copies of the atlas from our distributors in Poland. I hope to receive approximately 50 copies of the atlas in this way. The collected copies will be shipped out to clients starting from around January 10th. Until this date no express orders will be processed.

Thus, further orders can be placed at will – when the number of new orders exceeds 50, I will post a separate message on cludynights forum, and if there is not enough copies, the money will be reimbursed immediately. Once all copies collected from distributors’ warehouses are sold, the sales of the greatest atlas of the sky will be definitively closed.

#259 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

You came, you saw, you conquered.
Great job, Piotr!

#260 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Agree it's such an impressive work, instant center of attention here the last few nights!

#261 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

You came, you saw, you conquered.
Great job, Piotr!

Yes, great job Piotr!

#262 operascope

operascope

Mariner 2

• Loc: Canada

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'll also add my thanks to Piotr for a job well done on the atlas. It's now a treasured part of my astronomy library, and I shall not be parting with it.

#263 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

The stocks of The Great Atlas of the Sky became exhausted on December 23rd. Still, all orders paid for after that date will be finalized since I am now collecting the unsold copies of the atlas from our distributors in Poland. I hope to receive approximately 50 copies of the atlas in this way. The collected copies will be shipped out to clients starting from around January 10th. Until this date no express orders will be processed.

Thus, further orders can be placed at will – when the number of new orders exceeds 50, I will post a separate message on cludynights forum, and if there is not enough copies, the money will be reimbursed immediately. Once all copies collected from distributors’ warehouses are sold, the sales of the greatest atlas of the sky will be definitively closed.

Thanks Piotr for your great Atlas. I have two copy, the second was for my brother but unfortunately his health declined so I keep the second copy for future use.

#264 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

... I keep the second copy for future use.

One for each arm to work out and balance yourself. :lol: :roflmao:

P.S. Hope your brother gets better, and it really is a GREAT altas! :bow:

#265 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Bumping the thread to write that I just received the atlas a couple days back. I need to look through it in much more detail, but my first couple impressions are:

1) It's an impressive piece of work. There are some cartography decisions that I don't agree with, but the level of detail is great.

2) This is not a comment on the atlas, but I can't think of any situation where it will be useful to me, either at home or in the field. While my eyes strained to read the designations, I tried to think of any advantage of this paper atlas over SkySafari and Megastar on my iPad and laptop. I couldn't come up with any, unless you point out the obvious that it doesn't need a power supply or a computer. I actually can think of advantages of small-scale atlases like the Pocket Sky Atlas for giving a quick overview, but this thing is so unwieldy that I don't see it being opened in the house, the backyard observatory, or the dark site.

Again, I am not dismissing the work, and am not disappointed at purchasing it as such a bargain price. Other than the enjoyment of leafing through the charts, I just can't fathom a productive use for it. Has anybody used this atlas in the field, or at home for preparing to observe?

Tom

#266 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Nope. Not yet, at least. I bought it for what it is, not necessarily for how useful it would be. I love fine star atlases, and when one appears that I can afford, I try to support the art by getting one. They'll all be gone forever soon enough. It's utility of lack thereof is secondary. The small print is nothing - that's what magnifying glasses or WalMart cheaters were made for!

But, one advantage might be that it has essentially the same coverage as the proposed SkyGX, which would have taken up several large hardbound volumes.
Another is that the GA also uses very large charts to show substantial portions of the sky at a large scale on a single chart. You'd need a pretty big monitor to do anything similar with a computer. And it's all bound securely in a compact (!) format, with easily detachable charts.

#267 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I love this atlas but really don't see using it in the field myself. The pages are a bit unwieldly and some of the print isn't easy to read. I also wish it had dark nebulae plotted. For my own purposes, I find Ski Safari on my iPad, with Uranometria and Pocket Sky Atlas as backup, much more practical for field use. But I do give Piotr a lot of credit for making field use possible, as the chart pages are detachable (and can be individually placed in the handy laminated window) and all fit in a durable carrying case.

On the other hand, the sheer unwieldliness of the atlas is also what makes it great for cloudy night browsing. Having such large charts helps me stay oriented and keep things in context. Mostly, though, I just really enjoy leafing through the charts for pleasure, much the same way I enjoy my large art books. And this atlas truly is a work of art in my humble opinion.

#268 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I also wish it had dark nebulae plotted.

That's the only actual problem, IMO. Everything else is just degrees of convenience. You're right - it's a great coffee table atlas! :D

#269 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thank you Piotr, I got my atlas after seeing it mentioned here in this thread, and I love it. It is definitely a "crown jewel" in my slowly growing collection. I still need to put the reinforcement rings on mine. With passionate star chart lovers like those of us gathered here, the art of the analog atlas will never die! :waytogo: Cheers, Leo

#270 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I often use my GAS atlas, in house of course, and find searching for patterns, asterisms and much more to be both challenging and interesting. I use the Sky Pocket Atlas both in house and in the field.

The Great Sky Atlas sits in a dedicated space and find myself exploring almost daily.

#271 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'm coming up on 6 weeks , and live in the central US .
How long did it take your deliveries?
Dan

#272 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm coming up on 6 weeks , and live in the central US .
How long did it take your deliveries?
Dan

About that, almost exactly.

#273 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

7 weeks and counting
Tracking says the country of origin is preparing package for shipping.
Its said that since Dec17th so I would guess its in route somewhere between Poland and the US.
It would be great to look thru this on one of these cold days .
More when it arrives

#274 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Got my copy of the atlas today.
Not bad for ordering just before X Mas .
It arrived in great shape, very well packed , no damage from the long journey.
Working on putting it together, installing reenforcing rings . Will have it done and look through it by tomorrow.
It will be a great addition to the library.

#275 Piotr Brych

Piotr Brych

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

4 Mar 2013 - The Great Atlas of the Sky is out of print in Poland.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics