Celestron Luminos EP

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

My new Edge C9.25HD came with a 23mm Luminos EP not the usual 40mm E-lux. It says it has a 82 degree FOV. Is this Nagler clone?

#2 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Ummm ... silly name ... why on earth would anyone want a "luminous" eyepiece?

#3 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, Florida

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Since I like the entire Luminos ep series thought I would write a bit about them.

First, I don't think the Luminos is a Nagler clone. It just doesn't make sense that they would "copy" someone else's work. In this day and age, it's just too risky.

The Luminos ep's started life as Axiom's as everyone knows. Then came along the C8-EdgeHD's. Essentially, what I think Celestron has done with the Luminos ep is fine tune them to be more -matched- to their EdgeHD scopes. The Luminos ep's have a bit longer eye relief over the Axiom's and are probably better corrected as well. (Luminos 23mm has 20mm ER and Axiom 23mm has 17mm ER.

I still don't have the 31mm Luminos yet, but the other five work terrific in the C8-EdgeHD. They all have a good look and feel to them and won't break the bank buying them. I see no good reason buying more expensive eyepieces when the Luminos series was "probably" designed for the EdgeHD scopes. The flat FOV and edge correction I get with those eyepieces is extraordinary.

But, without trying to shoot myself in the foot, must add that everyone knows that the venerable TV 55mm Plossl is still king of obtaining the widest FOV with any SCT. :)

#4 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

It just doesn't make sense that they would "copy" someone else's work. In this day and age, it's just too risky.

Oh yeah? I don't know anything about the Luminos design, but check this out, in particular the x-ray images at the bottom comparing the Ethos to the ES 100...

http://www.svenwiens...mm_English.html

#5 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the design for any particular wide-field eyepiece can only have just so many ways to get the job done, lens types, distances between lenses, coatings, etc. While they may "look" the same even when X-Rayed, there is probably a lot about the design that is proprietary and not even patented. Industry does this all the time to safe-guard their product.

I once talked about this very thing with my fav dealer and he said that most ep manufacturers make eyepieces for their own telescopes first and if they happen to work well with other makers scopes, then, so much the better.

But again, as far as the EdgeHD series SCT's are concerned it is well known these scopes work real well for AP and also just visual. And since this particular type of SCT was so very long in the making, it sort of follows that Celestron would kind of want their "baby" to really work well for visual and offer a line of eyepieces that will do justice to their SCT. Now, it is only my opinion that the Luminos series was designed for the EdgeHD SCT's. I thought about this for a very long time and it just feels right. And, of course, I have no affiliation with Celestron.

Jim, thank you for the link too! The more we know about this stuff, the easier it will be for others to make a decision.

Regards and Clear Skies! :)

#6 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors
  • Loc: Limerick, Pa

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

I have the 10mm Luminos I bought at NEAF.

Overall it's an excellent eyepiece showing pinpoint stars from edge to edge. The ER is pretty good (better than a T6 Nagler).

Used it a lot last week with my 8" refractor on numerous DSO's, and was able to see 14th mag galaxies with this eyepiece.

I was also able to use it in my 22" f/4.5 dob (no Paracorr) previously, and the eyepiece gave outstanding views.

For now this is my 10mm eyepiece, though down the road I may replace it with a 10mm Delos (my first Delos will be the 4.5mm).

If you looking for a very good 10mm eyepiece and not spending big bucks, then I certainly recommend this eyepiece.

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Deep Space with Refractors - http://tech.groups.y...ewithrefractors
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#7 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi Karl,

Yea, that 10mm Luminos is a chunky little honey, ain't it! That's why I sprang for the whole set, minus the 31mm, when they were on sale this past spring. The 31mm is now in my sights! :)

That 8in refractor must be really something special to look at,.. and through!

Clear Skies! :)

#8 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

The 23mm Luminos fills gap between my 31mm Nagler "grenade" and my 17mm.

#9 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors
  • Loc: Limerick, Pa

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hi Karl,

Yea, that 10mm Luminos is a chunky little honey, ain't it! That's why I sprang for the whole set, minus the 31mm, when they were on sale this past spring. The 31mm is now in my sights! :)

That 8in refractor must be really something special to look at,.. and through!

Clear Skies! :)

Hi Ed

Yeah, I was so impressed by the Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, I thought what the heck give this Luminos a shot.

Originally when heading to NEAF I was going to get the 10mm Delos, but just before NEAF TV announced new focal lengths coming this Fall. Since my wife alias "The Bank" said only one Delos per year for now, I'm holding off for the 4.5mm Delos.

So looking at the 10mm Luminos at NEAF, and thought it looked and felt like a very solid eyepiece. I went for it, and I'm very glad I did.

Anway FYI the review (and picture) of the 8" refractor can be found in the review area here on CN under telescopes of course, then 140mm + refractors.

Clear Dark Skies,

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Deep Space with Refractors - http://tech.groups.y...ewithrefractors
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#10 oldtimer

oldtimer

Apollo

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

On paper at least the William optcs 40mm Swan with its 72 AFOV edges out the 55mm plossel by .07 degrees.

#11 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

The 15mm Luminos UWA works and looks great in my Celestron 100mm ED spotting scope.
Posted Image

#12 Alan K

Alan K

Ranger 4

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Is it true that the eye relief is longer than the Type 6's?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics