Percival Lowell Venus globe

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Some time ago I posted photos of two globes I commissioned an artist friend of mine make for me -- one was based on Percival Lowell’s 1905 map of Mars and the other was based on Tobias Mayer’s 1750 map of the Moon. However, it wasn’t until a short time ago that I was able to finally have a third globe completed, this one based on Lowell’s 1896 map of Venus. I think I held off so long because it was the least aesthetic of the three. Moreover, in addition to being the least aesthetic, it is also completely inaccurate! Apparently a combination of the optics Lowell used along with the physiology of his observing eye led to him seeing the nerves of his inner eye projected onto the image in the eyepiece. The result is that his map of Venus bears no relation to the planet itself. It’s possible that this same effect also resulted in Lowell’s seeing so many intricate canals on Mars.

Attached Files

#2 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

What I wanted to do all along was to pair these "antique" lunar and planetary globes with modern globes. Since there do not seem to exist (not surprisingly) antique maps of any of the other planets or moons, I think I am done.

Attached Files

#3 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:05 AM

Great globes Ed, what are You looking for precisely?
There're certainly many modern globes of the planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars , Jupiter and Saturn with rings) and there're antique maps of some of the planets and the Moon. There're even globes of Phobos & Deimos and some of the Near Earth Asteroids...

Don't see in Your signature where You're located but a great museum (possibly the best collection of globes in the world) is the "Globenmuseum - Osterreichische Nationalbibliothek" in Vienna Austria.
It has a collection of 700 globes ranging from starmap globes over Earth globes to Moon & planet globes from all ages in all sizes...

http://www.onb.ac.at/globenmuseum.htm/

#4 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi, PhilCo. I'm located in the Boston area. This all goes back a decade or more when I thought it would fun to own a globe of Percival Lowell's Mars. If they were ever made commercially at the turn of the last century, I couldn't find one. Whatever ones existed are located in museums or at Lowell Observatory. The only alternative I had was to have one made.

After that, I looked around for an antique globe of the Moon. Again, if any pre-20th century Moon globes exist, they are in museums -- or far beyond my purchasing power. So again I had one made. That seemed to be it. No detailed pre-20th century maps of Mercury exist, and Venus is essentially featureless in a telescope. I was aware of lowell's Venus map, but it was an oddity for the reasons I explained. Eventually, though, I gave in and had one made.

I guess I could find (somewhat) detailed 19th-century drawings of Jupiter or Saturn on which to base a globe, but they would be without historical significance. So here I stop.

I'm not really a collector of modern astronomical globes, though I do have a few. The ones pictured are used for comparison purposes as well as to add a little color to the displays.

Attached Files

#5 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Here's a photo of Lowell's map of Venus on which the globe is based. It didn't seem to bother Lowell that no one else could see what he saw. He knew these features were there. And they were -- just on his side of the eyepiece.

Attached Files

#6 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Correction: It was the blood vessels in his own eye that Lowell saw.

Attached Files

#7 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Excellent display you've got set up!!! NICE!!

#8 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, Robert. I'm always tweaking the displays, hoping to find a better arrangements. I think I'm becoming more compulsive the older I get. Probably not the best direction to be going in.

Attached Files

#9 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

OMG, I love that display case! I can see you're not afraid to spend a few bucks on your hobbies! :)

#10 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Is this can be the same issue as the giovanni schiaparelli Mars canals?

#11 JimP

JimP

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Ed, who made the globes for you?

Jim

#12 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Jim, the Mars and Moon globes were made by a former student of mine. I was looking up artists suggested by a local art center and came upon her that way. She turned out be be a gifted miniaturist and undertook the projects, I'm sure, mostly because I was a former teacher of hers. Certainly what she charged me for her work was a bargain and the main reason I would never impose upon her again.

The Venus globe was done by David Colombo, an artist I found online. (I couldn't bring myself to ask my former student to do another for me.) If you Google his name you'll find his web site.

Attached Files

#13 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Here's a photo of a reproduction Lowell globe I won on eBay several months ago. If this had been available when I first started searching for such a globe, I never would have had one made.

Attached Files

#14 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

The same eBay seller who created the Lowell globe earlier made a reproduction of Louis Niesten's Mars globe. This globe was produced in Brussels in 1892 and was based on Niesten's own observations along with those of Schiparelli.

Attached Files

#15 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Right now I have both globes displayed together in an "antique" setting. I'm hoping I can resist fiddling with it.

Attached Files

#16 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Right now I have both globes displayed together in an "antique" setting. I'm hoping I can resist fiddling with it.

....OK!,,,time to drool!!

(Promise to take a step back, and NOT get this awesome display wet!!!! It just looks soooo wonderful!!

#17 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for your kind words, Robert. I always wanted to assemble some kind of an antique astronomical display but, without having much in the way of antiques, it was a problem. Along the way I did acquire a small 18th century John Gilbert spyglass and a slightly earlier Butterfield-type sundial. When these two globes came along, everything seemed to fall into place.

Attached Files

#18 Geo557

Geo557

Astro-Scout

• Moderators
  • Loc: SE GA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Wow! All excellent looking displays Ed. Nice acquisitions with a classic look. Great job!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics