Uhm, hey guys, I think I am in love.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mantrain

mantrain

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Well agaist my better judgement, and without spousal conent, :shocked:, I splurged and got Skytools 3, Standard.
It has kep me up late, with that and the London Olympics I am not getting much sleep. it goes without saying that I love the lists. Seriously, the herschel 400, and 2500 ! Etc, etc!
Still the atlas can leave something to be desired compared to Stellarium, but I know, it's a chart.
Does anyone know how to get Alt /Az lines? those are the only lines I can read, I do not know RA and Dec

Is there much more in the Advanced version.

any recommendations for Chart Settings.

If I put it on my I Pad :roflmao:, do I have to buy the program again?
thanks!

#2 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Congrats on your purchase. It really is good, and observing lists really are the only way to go for planning. Re the Interactive Atlas, I was like you at first, not having a planetarium style view anymore. And no it's not the eye candy that Stellarium is, but Stellarium is probably one of the more inaccurate I've used in recent time. The ST3 atlas has very few errors, and is one of the most accurate I've found. If you do any double star work, it can't be beat. I think you'll grow to like it more as you use it.

The differences between the versions are outlined very well on SkyHound's website. The Professional version adds the Real-Time option including scope control, some image acquisition utilities (never used them), and of course a DVD with stars down to at least mag 19. What sort of scope do you use? Unless you're using a driven mount, you likely don't need the Real-time option or Pro version, unless you have a really large dob.

For the alt-az grid, see my attached screenshot. Once you open either the Interactive Atlas or Eyepiece View, click the "View Controls" button on the top bar. From there you'll see a box on the right side for "Coordinate Grid". Choose that dropdown box and select "Horizon". You'll need to do that for each Atlas (scope/binos/interactive) you setup.

Lots of settings and things to adjust and customize to your needs, have fun. Again, congrats.

Attached Files

#3 mantrain

mantrain

Viking 1

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Post deleted by mantrain

#4 mantrain

mantrain

Viking 1

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Ok, think I got it, alt/az shows under "apparent data" but not found on chart ?

Attached Files

#5 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Marion, Ohio

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

ditto man!! i picked it up last week and simply cannot wait to spend many nights with it..already have just not under the stars. i really wish there were more lists though..like book lists and the such..i will just make em though.

my current evenings involve trying to mimic my sky with the obstruction editor. i am transferring my map i took with observer pro on my iphone.

#6 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Actually there's lots of lists people have written and shared. Just click the "Data" button on the top menu, seen in the top left of the attachment, then click the "Import Shared Data" tab. The "Browse Location" dropdown box is where you select to search by category. Lots of lists.

Or do as I and lots of others have done and build your own lists that work for you. I created "Favorites" of each type object (clusters, galaxies, etc), along with a "Working List" I added to "Default" which is where I put items to view. Then I just use the filters to show what's up by season.

Attached Files

#7 mantrain

mantrain

Viking 1

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

Actually there's lots of lists people have written and shared. Just click the "Data" button on the top menu, seen in the top left of the attachment, then click the "Import Shared Data" tab. The "Browse Location" dropdown box is where you select to search by category. Lots of lists.

Or do as I and lots of others have done and build your own lists that work for you. I created "Favorites" of each type object (clusters, galaxies, etc), along with a "Working List" I added to "Default" which is where I put items to view. Then I just use the filters to show what's up by season.

I would really like that one famous list of the 10,000 objects from that club in AZ. Saguaro astronomy clubs 10000

Not sure how to transfer lists that are in excel format. If you create your own, I would imagine that is a long build, ie, individually entering objects.

Anyways I have another question for those of you that are up to the task: why are the solar system objects not accuratly plotted in the planner rise/set diagram? Or am I reading wrong?
Moon appears to be rising before 7pm tonight when it comes up after 8pm, ditto for sunset. it set at about 730pm but here you would think it set earlier.

Attached Files

#8 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

I usually run Stellarium as a digital planisphere alongside ST3Pro. I think they compliment each other nicely in that way. Why not try that?

#9 mantrain

mantrain

Viking 1

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

so that means no one can help me with above?

#10 Ashfall

Ashfall

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pearland, Texas

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

so that means no one can help me with above?

I double checked mine and moonrise/set is displayed correctly. Make sure your time zone and daylight saving rules are correct. Those are configured for each observing site. If you add a site, you have to configure it individually for that site. That threw me off once or twice when I added a site.

#11 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

You might want to join the Yahoo SkyTools group and see if anybody on there can answer some of your questions.
http://groups.yahoo....p/skytools/join

#12 mantrain

mantrain

Viking 1

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

thanks yes it was not set to daylight savings time, duh.

#13 thinairart

thinairart

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

Welcome to the Skytools club. For planning, and logging observations Iove it. Nothing else I have tried comes close. The charts are not as pretty as Stellarium or Starry Night, but the context viewer (eyepiece view) is a strong feature that the flashier products don't tackle nearly as well.

A quick tip: you don't need the pro version to see detailed starfields. You can download a starfield (measured in arc minutes, keep it small like < 10') that Skytools will render in the chart view. The starfield is just a rendering, so you can't hover over the stars for info like magnitude, but for tracking down Pluto or Near-Earth-Objects, the feature is really handy.

#14 mantrain

mantrain

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

Welcome to the Skytools club. For planning, and logging observations Iove it. Nothing else I have tried comes close. The charts are not as pretty as Stellarium or Starry Night, but the context viewer (eyepiece view) is a strong feature that the flashier products don't tackle nearly as well.

A quick tip: you don't need the pro version to see detailed starfields. You can download a starfield (measured in arc minutes, keep it small like < 10') that Skytools will render in the chart view. The starfield is just a rendering, so you can't hover over the stars for info like magnitude, but for tracking down Pluto or Near-Earth-Objects, the feature is really handy.

Thanks but how do you get that star list into the charts? where do you find it?

Also can you import other lists, like the pensack 500?

#15 thinairart

thinairart

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

From the chart view, right-click and select the "Get Starfield at Chart Target" option. Page 85 & 91 of the PDF manual explains in more detail.

#16 Troy Greenwald

Troy Greenwald

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bolingbrook, IL USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

I purchased this recently as well. Overall, it is very nice observing software. Seemed to be alot of fiddling with chart preferences to get the printed star hopping charts to match the on screen versions (ie. missing stars on the print outs, missing FOV and constellation lines).

#17 Troy Greenwald

Troy Greenwald

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bolingbrook, IL USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

Thanks but how do you get that star list into the charts? where do you find it?

Yes you can get the Pensack 500 list. Use the data manager button, import data tab, skyhound web site radio button. The drop down list box contains several list categories. Just select whichever ones you want and pick a destination group like default and click import. Easy peasy.

Edit: FYI, there are enough lists on the skyhound web site to keep you busy literally forever.

#18 philrod

philrod

Vostok 1

• Loc: Fallon, Nevada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

I too have Skytools 3 Standard Edition and use it with Stellarium. The combination's quite helpful, but a real learning experience for my 75 year old brain. Will have to take more vitamins I guess.

#19 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

I actually made a SkyTools 3 file of the Pensack 500 list and posted it on CN (click here), and elsewhere, to make it available to others.

Be sure to use the HELP features built into SkyTools 3 -- they can answer many questions. The program has many, many capabilities, and the author (Greg Crinklaw) does a good job of supporting problems through his website (www.skyhound.com). For those who may find the HELP screens daunting, the website has video tutorials (click here for tutorial web page).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics