• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#176 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Everyone has made excellent points, the depth of knowledge and frankly, hands on experience coupled with common sense is what makes these forums so valuable. To KT (not the OP, who needs no introduction), the key factor many people looking for advice on equipment tend to overlook is the experience needed to use the higher end equipment. For most of us, that experience comes from paying our dues learning and using the entry level and mid-range equipment. It's a case of learning to walk before you can run. This is not meant to discourage you. It's meant to make you aware that the higher end equipment requires some essential knowledge to get the most out of it. For example, The AP GTO firmware does not build complex pointing models to increase their accuracy or improve the gotos. People who buy these mounts understand this. You don't typically spend this kind of money without doing significant research as to its features and capabilities.

My apologies to the Mods, yes this thread has run the DNA helix shuffle ...

Well said.

I have to appologize for confusing the OP with KT. The thread has been going on so long I forgot who was who. :crazy:

#177 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Depends on your perspective. There is no doubt a CGEM or Atlas is _worlds_ better than a CG5 for imaging. One will work very well for many purposes, and, as you observe, not everybody needs, wants, or can afford a 7K+ mount.

#178 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

[quote
I think you may be looking for the magic bullet answer to tell you exactly what to buy (e.g., this mount has X arc sec PE so it must be the one to buy), but the reality is that there are not clear cut answers like that is a relatively small manufacturing sector like astronomy. [/quote]

Perhaps instead of throwing around PE numbers we should talk second derivatives which would reveal how smooth the PE is and ease of guiding. hey thanks again BTW

#179 Renae Gage

Renae Gage

Apollo

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

From what I have read there seems to be a tremendous variation in mounts, even in the same model from the same manufacturer. It seems the more you spend the greater the chance that you won't get a lemon and the less effort you have to put into getting a mount to work well.

This is actually only partly true. Higher end mounts may be more consistent in quality but they are notoriously more difficult to use.

My EM-200 is incredibly easy to use, and I have yet to hear a report from a Mach 1 owner who found that mount difficult in any way.

#180 Nezar H

Nezar H

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

had it (a) operate correctly out of the box and (b) continue to operate correctly for an extended period of time (at least 12 months) after purchase?
Jim

A) mine came with GPS problem after trying to solve the problem they giveup and they advice me to send back the mount which was not easy! So every time I switch on the mount I have to enter the date+time .

B) yes , it work fine for visual use almost 3 years , goto is very good , but I need to fine tune the mount on summer! Play little bit with the gearbox !.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics