• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

One of the arms of the spreader bar broke loose from a leg on my Astro-tech Voyager mount. Any suggestions on sources of new legs?

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

I don't know about a source for just the legs but if you want to replace the whole tripod the mounting point is the same as for any CG-4/5/Orion SVP type of mount. The Voyager becomes a whole new mount when it's mounted on a heavier tripod.

#3 Hermie

Hermie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cloudy HKG

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

I never upgraded my voyager while I had it, but I believe Hands On Optics sell wooden replacement legs. This was discussed ages ago somewhere here.

Hermie

#4 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Thanks!

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

I purchased this adapter and put it on this tripod. The tall version. That combination works well with the voyager, the mount fits perfectly in this adapter. I did remove the tripod spreader and remounted it up about 6". Where they put it made the tripod unstable.

This tripod is definitely better than the original voyager tripod but not as much as I wanted. I think one of the heavy duty Berlbach tripods would be much better if they didn't cost so much.

#6 Edwin

Edwin

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

I had the same problem and bought a TAL tripod (http://www.grootven....ils.asp?PID=418). A very sturdy solution for only EUR 64 ! It is much and much more stable then the original tripod.

#7 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

I just took delivery of the Hands on Optics wooden legs. The part of the voyager mount that the a leg screws onto appears a tad (imperceptibly) to wide to slide between the two wood sides of the tripod leg.
Any advice is welcome.

#8 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Sandpaper would be my first thought.

#9 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

Got the legs on. Turned out it took a combination of Saturday a.m., patience, my morning espresso and the angle of attack.
BTW: these legs can raise the center of the Voyager head/saddle about 58" above the ground.

It is always funny the difference the legs make. I put my Wegat-Meade 5" Mak on it. It was very nice on it with the old legs. Now it is "over-mounted" (which is the way i like it )

#10 Kfrank

Kfrank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Yep, overmounting is the way to go. Much more enjoyable to use a scope that has no jitter when focusing and damps out immediately when bumped.

I've never quite understood, though, why so many folks are willing to mess with the Voyager when it is marginal for so many common scopes out there. Sure, you can upgrade the legs and accomplish what you want, but why not just consider a better (and more expensive) mount/tripod combo to begin with?

I suspect that for many, it feels like your spending less money if you buy the mount and then buy a better tripod. The old "I have a $300 mount that works great" with no mention made of the $100-200 spent upgrading the tripod.

#11 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

I had been using the voyager for awhile when the leg failed. Actually like the performance and ergonomics. Very smooth slo-mo controls for planets etc.
I have used it with Refractors (66mm -80mm), the 5" mak, and with a "L" accessory, my PST & ETX 90 OTA.

I do see a Disc Mount in my future though for my larger stuff :)

#12 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Yep, overmounting is the way to go. Much more enjoyable to use a scope that has no jitter when focusing and damps out immediately when bumped.

I've never quite understood, though, why so many folks are willing to mess with the Voyager when it is marginal for so many common scopes out there. Sure, you can upgrade the legs and accomplish what you want, but why not just consider a better (and more expensive) mount/tripod combo to begin with?

I suspect that for many, it feels like your spending less money if you buy the mount and then buy a better tripod. The old "I have a $300 mount that works great" with no mention made of the $100-200 spent upgrading the tripod.

In defense of those like myself who bought a $300 mount, let me say that this was the first alt-az mount that I've ever purchased, and I didn't know what to expect in terms of vibration levels. After buying my first one, I now have a better idea of what to expect. Also, I'm not as serious in this hobby as the majority of those who frequent this forum, so cost is a more important consideration than for many of those here who spend over $500 for a mount.

I originally came to this forum seeking info on buying a portable replacement for my aged Meade 2080 SCT which could also be used for some terrestrial photography. Since reading these forums, I've gone quite a bit farther into my pocketbook than what I had originally expected and that includes my new $300 mount.

I'd certainly consider buying a heftier mount in the future if I were more serious about this hobby, but I don't think my skeletal system would be too obliging in this respect. What I have now is a compromise that I can live with.

Sorry for getting carried away here.

#13 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

I, too, use the Oberwerk wood tripod with my Voyager mount to hold my WO Megrez 90. It is both functional and attractive. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this setup a second time.

#14 slack

slack

Ranger 4

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Then it might freak you out that I use my Voyager on a tripod that is 9x the cost of the head. :shocked:

Posted Image

But what similar type of head comes with a great tripod, even at a higher price? None have sticks that I would choose to use, thus I appreciate that many heads are sold without them. I'd pass on most astro tripods. I only care about the head; I'll adapt it to use with tripods I already have.

#15 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

My Voyager sits on a CG5 tripod that I bought for $99 bucks when OPT was blowing them out a few years ago. I sold the OEM tripod on astromart for $55 bucks so for net $44 bucks I have a nice sturdy tripod for it and it's taller than the original to boot.

#16 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have a AT Voyager coming in the mail early next week and it is probable that I would have to upgrade the tripod sometime in the future and that's just what I think based on reading comments--I've never used or seen the mount in use before. When you are unable to see equipment in use or 'try before you buy', you end up buying a piece of equipment and upgrading it later. You kind of just have to know for yourself to see if it's something you can live with or that it just won't work out.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics