•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small alt-az head needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern New Jersey

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

Friends,

I've just picked up an Orion 90mm Mak and one of their Paragon HD tripods (the smaller of the two models). I'm a bit less than impressed with the pan head even for day use. It's got a bit of play in it that annoys me and I can't seem to get rid of it. Otherwise it's surprisingly smooth and stable for the price and weight.

Thinking of a small alt-az head for the purpose instead. What would you recommend? The tripod has a standard 1/4"x20 post, and I'd like something that accepts Vixen dovetails.

Conversely, any tips on improving the pan head itself?

Also, would owners of the Orion slow-motion adapter please chime in? Does that need to attach to a pan head to provide large movements or does it pivot and tilt on its own? Never actually saw one in person.

Thanks!

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Try this mod to help smooth out the altitude motion.

http://www.homebuilt...odification.htm

#3 Kfrank

Kfrank

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Universal Astronomics DwarfStar or MicroStar. Just what you're looking for.

#4 lakeorion

lakeorion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

The Orion slow motion adapter only moves about 5° before bottoming out it's travel. I use it for telephoto lens fine tuning - on top of a ball head for gross movements.
For that it's great. For a telescope going place to place it's not the ticket. That said, I did, in desperation because my mount hadn't arrived yet, put my brand new 127 Mak on it - and it held...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics