• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

• Loc: Northern New Jersey

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

Friends,

I've just picked up an Orion 90mm Mak and one of their Paragon HD tripods (the smaller of the two models). I'm a bit less than impressed with the pan head even for day use. It's got a bit of play in it that annoys me and I can't seem to get rid of it. Otherwise it's surprisingly smooth and stable for the price and weight.

Thinking of a small alt-az head for the purpose instead. What would you recommend? The tripod has a standard 1/4"x20 post, and I'd like something that accepts Vixen dovetails.

Conversely, any tips on improving the pan head itself?

Also, would owners of the Orion slow-motion adapter please chime in? Does that need to attach to a pan head to provide large movements or does it pivot and tilt on its own? Never actually saw one in person.

Thanks!

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Try this mod to help smooth out the altitude motion.

http://www.homebuilt...odification.htm

#3 Kfrank

Kfrank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Universal Astronomics DwarfStar or MicroStar. Just what you're looking for.

#4 lakeorion

lakeorion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

The Orion slow motion adapter only moves about 5° before bottoming out it's travel. I use it for telephoto lens fine tuning - on top of a ball head for gross movements.
For that it's great. For a telescope going place to place it's not the ticket. That said, I did, in desperation because my mount hadn't arrived yet, put my brand new 127 Mak on it - and it held...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics