Nova Hitch Alt Az mount

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

• Loc: massachusetts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Does the new Nova Hitch come with a tripod? If not, what do people use for their Mini/Half/Super Half hitch mounts? Im looking for a nice alt/az for my FLT-110.

Any other suggestions welcome.
I want it to be as grab and go as possibe while also being stable.

#2 ckwastro

ckwastro

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

I don't have any of the "Hitch" mounts, but currently have a Giro III head. I used to have it on a Gibraltar tripod (which I believe was made by KB and is similar to the tripod Charles had used in his earlier videos with the Half-Hitch). For me that tripod was not near stable enough, even for my Stowaway.

I switched over to a Meade field tripod and it's much better at controlling vibrations and really cut down the dampening times with both of my scopes. Having said that, if you prefer a wooden tripod, I'd check out the Berlebach UNIs or Planet.

#3 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Thanks. Man, those tripods are pricey. Does anyone know if I need any sort of adapter to mount the Hitch mount to a tripod? Im cluless when it comes to photo tripods. Any cheaper options?

#4 RichfromRoch

RichfromRoch

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

If you are seriously thinking Nova Hitch at $1,000, you are headed in the wrong direction looking for a cheaper tripod. Mounting a quality telescope and superior mount on a less-than-capable tripod is wasting a lot oh bucks and could be as big source of disappointment.
Take a look at the Stellarvue M2 or MG2 mounts. They also sell a surveyor's tripod along with a wooden model. Either mount ywill definitlely carry a 110mm scope. I was looking to move up from my 90 and this mount seemed to fit my requirements.

#5 ckwastro

ckwastro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

If you are seriously thinking Nova Hitch at $1,000, you are headed in the wrong direction looking for a cheaper tripod. Mounting a quality telescope and superior mount on a less-than-capable tripod is wasting a lot oh bucks and could be as big source of disappointment.

:ubetcha:

Excellent point. Any setup is only as good as the weakest link. Start from the ground up. Make sure the platform for mounting the Nova Hitch head is going to enhance its performance, not degrade it. Otherwise, like Rich pointed out, you are wasting the money spent on that beautiful piece of engineering.

#6 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

I had been looking at the same mount and hear the idea of the tripod being the weak link here. I have had good experience with the Garrett 5000 tripod and was wondering what the consensus of using this with the Nova Hitch. Still too light-weight to use? Rated to 26#. I was going to use with my EON 120. Sorry to high jack the thread, but talk on tripods with the proper mount seems relevant...

#7 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

You havent hijacked the thread, your question is just the stuff Im trying to learn. Ive been told that the Nova will mount on any tripod with a 3/8 attatchment. I notice the Berlebach UNIs and Planet are rated for 100lbs plus. The Report series is generally rated for less, but Im guessing that some of those options would be workable as well. Im looking for something light but robust. Its tough because Ive never seen any of these tripods with my own eyes.

#8 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

I do like the looks of those. Wood seems like a good place to go. Good for vibration damping. What I like about the Garrett is the center section can be raised an extra bit.

#9 ckwastro

ckwastro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

I have had good experience with the Garrett 5000 tripod and was wondering what the consensus of using this with the Nova Hitch. Still too light-weight to use? Rated to 26#.

The EON 120 OTA weighs around 15 lbs with no diagonal or eyepieces, so I suppose it depends on what type of observing you would be doing. For mostly low power wide-field work, it would probably be OK, but if you plan on doing some high res / high mag observing on deep-sky objects or lunar / planetary bodies, I think you might be pushing it if you have any aversion to vibration like I do.

The TV Gibraltar tripod is rated for roughly 25#, although even the KB Systems website does not list the capacity. This is my best guess based on TeleVue's listed telescopes that will ride on it. For me personally, it wasn't nearly stable enough for anything beyond low power observing, even for my Stowaway (11 lbs loaded with a BV), and the Giro head and counterweight, which took the total weight on the tripod to about 24 lbs.

#10 iluxo

iluxo

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

You do need a solid tripod.

I use a 180mm f/15 Mak on an isostatic mount on an oversize tripod with 2" diameter stainless steel legs and everyone who has looked through it has remarked on how free this is from vibration compared to the usual 8" SCT and Meade 8" Lightswitch scopes which are quite flimsy and suffer a lot of torsion in azimuth.

I have looked at Charles' mounts many times and think the Nova should be good *provided* you have a really decent tripod under it.

#11 ckwastro

ckwastro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Jason, if you do reconsider the Berlebach tripods, I've been told to make sure to get the double leg-clamp option. Apparently that helps with any leg slippage and helps stabilize it further.

#12 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info. Im not a patient person at all, so now Im looking at a used quarter hitch. The specs on these say up to 105mm APO, so, Im thinking whats another 5mm? Not sure if I should go for it, again, the stability of the tripod will probably be the deciding factor.

#13 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Anyone have any experience with a ~110mm f/7ish scope on a quarter hitch? Doable? Also, Whats the difference between the quarter hitch and the half hitch? Which is the more recent version? I cant find much info on the QH.

#14 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Jason, give Charles from Nova Hitch a call. He will steer you in the right direction. If anyone knows the ins and outs of these mounts it is him.

#15 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Update: I was the high bidder on the Quarter Hitch and tripod on Astromart. I have a feeling Ill be upgrading the tripod, but in any event, I have a Hitch mount on the way soon! I think I got a pretty decent price on the package deal. ($655)

#16 lcaldero

lcaldero

Mariner 2

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

Congratulations! I think you will be very happy with the QH. Let us know what you think of the Oberwerk tripod.

Clear skies Laura

#17 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

I certainly will.

#18 ckwastro

ckwastro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Congrats Jason! Please let us know how you like the mount, and what tripod you end up getting for it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics