7 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Greetings all,

Attached is a drawing of Jupiter made last night. We had some very good conditions here for a time, and there was a lot of detail on the disk (there was also a lot of dew!). I should add that the details in the NEBn are approximate; there was a lot of fine detail here and it was difficult to record it completely accurately, so the features in this region should be regarded as 'approximately' what was seen.

Points of note: (Under examination with a W#11 filter and IL)
-SPR slightly mottled in appearance
-STZ reasonably bright.
-STB not uniform, indeed it only seemed to be really present in a dark section near the disk. A bright oval was present within the belt.
-STropZ seemed to have some interesting features, I suspected a brighter region near the STB. A dark spot also seemed to be present in the zone
-SEB(s) greyish some lighter and darker sections present. SEBz dark and there seemed to be a well defined dark spot present here.
-SEB(n) quite hard to define as it had a rather fragmentary appearance at times
-EZ rather active, EB present and this is probably the most prominent I've seen the belt in some time. There were a number of festoons, but a particularly dark one was present and near the centre of the disk by the time of the drawing. There also seemed to be a bright region just proc. this dark festoon.
-NEB quite active. NEBs orangish in colour and a number of fine structure present. The NEBn seemed to contain a lot of fine structure composed of streaks and dots. It was hard to capture a lot of it in time. The NEB overall is quite thin.
-NTropZ contained a number of greyish points and streaks.
-NTB quite broad with a darker northern border.
-NPR dark and dusky with some mottling.

A number of reasonable transit times were made, the dawn came up before intensity estimates could be made.

Best wishes,
-Paul.

Posted Image

#2 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

excellent sketch. Awesome detail. I like your use of color.

#3 astronz59

astronz59

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Paul, magnificent as always! I'm waiting for the old boy to gain some decent altitude before sunrise these mornings. A lovely sketch of my favourite planet! :refractor::ubetcha::choochoo:

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Paul,

A beautifully colored and detailed sketch of the king of our planets.

Frank :)

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

Paul,

Super drawing and observation--very accurate when compared to this image by Torsten Edelman.

I guess I've been misinterpreting what I've been seeing in the NEB. Looking at your sketch, it appears that the NEBn is absent and/or all mixed in with the North Tropical Zone (the combination of which I've been interpreting as a rift) and capped by the North Temperate Belt.

Bottom line is, a good portion of the north hemisphere of Jupiter is a turbulent mess. :p

#6 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Excellent observation and beautiful sketch Paul!

Jean

#7 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Wonderful drawing, I love it.

Ivano

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini