• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

Hi.

After more tha a year choosing the correct time to try sketching, I'm all set to the beginning now. I did some first try using pictures to get familiar with the technic and its really promising. I'll sketch mostly the sun at high magnification where the FOV is narrower and let less things to draw at once but in higher definition.

For now I'll start black and white but I'm going to buy all needed pencils for color sketches. Sadly the weather is not good here for the couple of next days to have my first try. So I must be more active in this section very soon.

Andre.

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

Andre,

I look forward to your future posts with your sketches!

#3 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

André,

It will be a pleasure to see your work!

Jean

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Andre, congratulations on beginning to sketch! I've only started recently, with only one sketch, posted here, to date; but it's great fun and extremely fulfilling to see on paper what you saw thru the eyepiece. My summer has not been observing friendly, and now wildfire smoke is preventing it still; but once you've started sketching, you will absolutely love it!

Looking forward to your future sketches!

#5 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Deventer, The Netherlands

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

When I read the topic's title I thought you where going to start making self-portraits! :D

#6 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Ha Ha me too! Great to see another sketching noob like me.

#7 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Roel.

Ahahaha.. I change the title. You are right, its very confusing. Ah french people trying to translate in english.

Carol.

You are so right. I just did 4 sketches using real photograph of the sun to practice and I can't stop looking at my sketches. My wife find them very nice for a first try. But when I'll start doing the real daily sun moving rapidly, that will be even more exciting.

Roel really inspired me to start sketching with his beautiful sketches.

As soon as the sun will be back, I'll post my first sketches for sure. Sadly he looks hidden for a couple more days... Bad timing.

Andre.

#8 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hi.

Yesterday morning, the sky was not so bad, only few clouds around noon. So I hurry outside to try my first sketch of the sun. Sadly the seeing was so poor, I wasn't able to see any surface details. So I'll be foreced to give up and try later.

At the end of the day, the sky was once again not so bad but still lot of clouds around. I had a look at the sun and the seeing was better, not perfect but better. So I started sketching but my very nice friends the clouds were back within 10 minutes and haven't been able to complete. I was expecting they would arrived in the next 30 minutes but they were faster than expected.

Andre.

#9 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

Hi.

But on my first try on the real sun instead of practicing on pictures, I faced a couple of problems I'll have to learn. When looking visual at the sun with the scope, you go here and there visiting each proms, but when you try to sketch one, man it change fast. So I have to speed up to be able to capture the moment. So next time I'll do the surface details first, next the slow motion proms to finish with the rapid's ones.

Another thing I have to manage is the way I use my eyes. Looking at the white sheet of paper do the same as looking at a bright light during night observation. So when returning to the eyepiece, there is a dimmer light adaptation each time what make me lost time to sketch. So I'll have to practice sketch with my left eye only in 2D vision and use the right one to look at the sun. That will be totally different as it's much different looking with only one eye.

So I have lot to learn and I'll need more than 10 minutes of clear sky on my first sketch to practice. Sadly weather is still very bad and not coorperative at all.

Andre.

#10 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hi.

Monday morning 8am NY time, just to advise you I did my very first sketch of a nice prominence on the sun before the release of any pictures. I tell you that because I did some practice using pictures during the weekend but this time its the real one from the scope. Sadly I have no time to post my sketch yet because I'm back from my night shift and I have to go to bed now. I'm already late. This afternoon I'll post it for sure. Finally the seeing was good at 225X.

Andre.

#11 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

:banjodance:...waiting...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics