39 replies to this topic

#1 saptharishi

saptharishi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bangalore, India

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

As I am new to this hobby, I am planning to subscribe to one the astronomy magazines. I searched and found the following magazines:

Sky at Night From UK
Astronomy Now from UK
Astronomy from USA (not sure it is just the American edition of Astronomy Now)
Sky & Telescope from USA

What I understand from internet is that Sky at Night is not that great. I personally don't have any opinion or tilt towards any specific magazine.

My requirement is to read and understand about the celestial objects, observing, equipments/accessories, reviews.

Request your experience based recommendation.

Regards,
Umasuthan.

#2 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

My favourite of the three is "Astronomy Now". Second favourite would be "Sky & Telescope". "Astronomy" is a different magazine entirely, for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on I don't like it as much as the other two.

The "Sky at Night" magazine is great for beginners but seems to get stale after you've read it for a few months. It does come with a fairly interesting DVD though. I wouldn't subscribe to that one but just occasionally (probably once every couple of years) I do pick one up at the newsagents just to see how it's faring.

#3 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

My favourite of the three is "Astronomy Now". Second favourite would be "Sky & Telescope". "Astronomy" is a different magazine entirely, for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on I don't like it as much as the other two.

The "Sky at Night" magazine is great for beginners but seems to get stale after you've read it for a few months. It does come with a fairly interesting DVD though. I wouldn't subscribe to that one but just occasionally (probably once every couple of years) I do pick one up at the newsagents just to see how it's faring.

One thing I've noticed is that the different magazines focus to varying degrees on astronomy as a science versus astronomy as a amateur/hobbyist. The ones that focus on the first will run a lot of articles concerning academic studies and space exporation. Those that focus on the second will run more articles about things like telescope making/hacking, how to make the most of observing sessions, and the best targets for viewing.

#4 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

I subscribe to both Sky and Tel and Astronomy as well as Astronomy Technology Today (ATT). ATT is not really for a beginner but both S&T and Astronomy would appeal to a beginner but each has its own focus. Good Luck!

#5 saptharishi

saptharishi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Brian, any specific reason why you are not happy with Astronomy magazine.

Regards,
Umasuthan.

#6 saptharishi

saptharishi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi Cliff, Thanks for the reply. Yes. You are right. I went through ATT. It is more about equipments. I am more interested in the sky :). Astronomy and Astronomy Now has sample copies for download in their sites. I am reading through them to see how I like them. Will wait for a few more replies before paying for a subscription.

Regards,
Umasuthan.

#7 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'd recommend that you don't subscribe to any of them.

Better and more current information is available online, often at no charge, from forums and websites like this one, as well as many others.

However, if you enjoy paying for advertisements...

#8 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Better and more current information is available online, often at no charge, from forums and websites like this one, as well as many others.

Personally, I still enjoy sitting in a comfy chair with a good magazine. I spend enough time online without having to get my relaxed enjoyment there, too. I subscribe to Astronomy magazine and occasionally pick up one of the UK publications when I'm in the local bookstore. I think they all have their good points. I used to subscribe to Sky and Telescope, but switched a few years back.

#9 Rudra

Rudra

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Personally, I still enjoy sitting in a comfy chair with a good magazine. I spend enough time online without having to get my relaxed enjoyment there, too. I subscribe to Astronomy magazine and occasionally pick up one of the UK publications when I'm in the local bookstore. I think they all have their good points. I used to subscribe to Sky and Telescope, but switched a few years back.

My thoughts exactly. The internet cannot hold my attention for long and I have to be seated on my study table to read through the digital texts. No, I am a caveman compared to the rest of you, as I do not own an iPad yet. I love the feel of the paper magazine and I can take it anywhere, living, bedroom, patio etc. With the closing of the bookstores, the joy of spending hours in the tranquil calm of the shop browsing through the books is gone and has been replaced by point and click monotony of browsing over the internet. Personally, I do not have any preference for either S&T or Astronomy, I do enjoy reading both of them.

#10 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

For more than 20 yeasrs I subscribed to both Astronomy and S&T. I dropped "A" when they stopped monthly ATM articles. I picked up ATT when it first came out but recently let my subscription expire...seemed like it turned into nothing but glorified ads and articles for EXPENSIVE stuff.

Personally I like both the net and print material. A simple planisphere and the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas are usually all that I need for an observing session. I don't have an IPad either but it seems everyone around me does.

Back to the OP: my choice would be Sky & Telescope.

#11 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

my choice has been S&T
Astronomy Now is a favorite, but cost with international mail is just too high

it really depends on what is available to you in India, and your personal preference-I would try one and compare to others as much as possible

the cost may not be worth subscribing vs free internet

edj

#12 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Although You'll find a lot online, the Sky At Night magazine comes every month with a DVD which has the TV-program as well as some goodies (Starmap, software, etc...) on it :waytogo:

#13 saptharishi

saptharishi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Hi Edj,

In India all these mags have to be go through International subscriptions. Astronomy cost $42 and Astronomy Now costs $80. yes. that is what I am doing just downloading the free copy of these mags from their sites and see which suits my taste. My objective for subscribing a magazine is more for learning about the starts, galaxies and so on rather than equipments.

Thanks and Regards,
Umasuthan.

#14 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Regarding US publications, it is a close call for me between Sky and Telescope and Astronomy. I like them both. I do not splurge on a lot of hobbies--except Astronomy. For several years, I have subscribed to both magazines and enjoy them both.

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

More? Yes. Better? Not hardly. ;)

#16 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

My vote goes for Sky & Telescope. I have to admit that I haven't picked up an Astronomy magazine for some time, but in times past, it seemed to go through several incarnations, every once in a while turning into a totally different magazine. I've been subscribing to S&T since 1975, and checked it out of the library for a few years before that. It's been consistently good. As others have said, I'm kinda OLD, and I like a hard copy magazine I can carry around and save.
ON THE OTHER HAND...
A person could learn the basics by reading a few books, and then keep up using the internet.

#17 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

last year I subscribed to both S&T and Astronomy,
and Astronomy was improving-both are close now in "my interest"

for me, the magazine gives an overview of the field,
then the internet allows me to dig deeper when I want

edj

#18 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

More? Yes. Better? Not hardly. ;)

LOL! That's what I was thinking too! Everything in S&T or Astronomy goes through editorial reviews to ensure the accuracy of everything (and errors still creep in occasionally!) Here on CN, or any forum on the web, you have to already know what the facts basically are in order to separate the wheat from the chaff. There is a lot of good information here; but there's a Whole Lot of uninformed opinion and just plain nonsense. CN is no place to get accurate information you can rely on; at best, you can identify the people who are consistantly correct and accurate, and talk to them. You'd be nuts to rely on the rest of us! Most all of us try to be accurate; but that isn't the same as actually being accurate.

And FWIW, I enjoy the advertisements - where else would I get to see them?

#19 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

I agree on Sky and Telescope, their articles seem more on the serious side, a bit more technical than Astronomy.
I started with Astronomy but switched.
I do like Astronomys reviews tho.
answer GET ALL of THEM :gve:

#20 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

And FWIW, I enjoy the advertisements - where else would I get to see them?

Like I said, if you enjoy paying for advertisements... :lol:

#21 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

It was the same when I subscribed to Guitar Player magazine; half the fun was ogling the new gear ads. (Unfortunately, the other half - the actual content - became intolerably trite, and I dropped it).

It was funny; there were a lot of ads displaying fancy new guitars being held by scantily-clad, pretty young girls. This resulted in a lot of outraged letters by female guitarists, who thought this was exploitation.

I once wrote a letter in response, trying to explain that a) pretty girls are good for advertising a product for which the primary demographic is young men; b) there are a lot of professional pretty girls making a living modeling for those ads and not feeling in the least exploited, and who need work just like everyone else; and c) The companies were perfectly welcome to model their guitars with handsome young men; would that still be exploitation?

It was never printed, though.

#22 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Good on ya, Rick! :lol: I remember when GP started that long slide, and the ads had little to do with it... more a lack of content, IMO. I did prefer the ads in GFPM, which usually had the endorsing artist shown with the instrument, and the content was better.

Anyone remember when certain ads in the astro mags actually had notable amateurs or pros endorsing or seen using a certain brand?

#23 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

Here's a great overview of magazines:
http://www.thespacer.../article/1119/1

#24 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Personally, I still enjoy sitting in a comfy chair with a good magazine.

Agreed! I subscribe to both Astronomy & S&T; as well as two other magazines for my other hobbies. I thoroughly enjoy reading them, ads and all! :grin:

#25 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

i learned a lot about telescopes and such when i was a kid... by reading the ads!

and yes to a comfy chair and print magz!!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics