Good Magazine to Subscribe

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

I subscribe to both S&T and Astronomy...Astronomy only for the last 2 years. I prefer S&T and will let Astronomy lapse. The former does have some in depth articles while Astronomy seems to cover more with short glib paragraphs or sound bite type sentences directed at those who can't concentrate on a read for more than 15 seconds. This, combined with articles like the one about rock stars who like astronomy in the latest Astronomy, make me think the magazine is a bit too concerned with the ADHD 15 year old set. (Not that there is anything wrong with this group and that we should not try and attract them towards Astronomy, but my own reading tends to be different than what is appropriate to them)
Sue French's observing articles in S&T are worth the price of the magazine alone.
Also a plug for Amateur Astronomy. I like this magazine. http://www.amateurastronomy.com/

#27 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I get both S&T and Astronomy!! Twice as much reading FUN each month!!! :jump:

#28 AJ

AJ

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

I subscribed to both S&T and Astronomy from the mid '80s until a few years ago when they dropped to around 70 pages per issue, half their former size.

Have these magazines bounced back to 100+ pages, yet? If so I'll jump back on-board.

As far as paying for ads, I always liked the ads, even the great Celestron v. Meade SCT War back in the day.

#29 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Have these magazines bounced back to 100+ pages, yet? If so I'll jump back on-board.

S&T - back cover is 88th page. Astronomy - back cover is 76th page. November issues.

I don't think the size will be increasing. Tony Flanders said something about magazine size somewhere here but don't remember what or where.

#30 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

We haven't been below 88 pages since the late 90's.

#31 saptharishi

saptharishi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bangalore, India

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

I paid the subscription for 'Astronomy Now' published from UK and received the Oct issue. It is good.

#32 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Astronomy from USA (not sure it is just the American edition of Astronomy Now)
Sky & Telescope from USA

I recommend both of these magazines.

#33 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Tony Flanders said something about magazine size somewhere here but don't remember what or where.

What I said is that all for-profit periodicals -- newspapers as well as magazines -- try to maintain a fairly constant ratio between advertising and editorial content. So the less advertising, the thinner the magazine or newspaper.

Advertising appears to have picked up somewhat as the recession has eased, but nobody in the publishing industry expects print advertising to reach pre-internet levels ever again.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

#34 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Tony Flanders said something about magazine size somewhere here but don't remember what or where.

What I said is that all for-profit periodicals -- newspapers as well as magazines -- try to maintain a fairly constant ratio between advertising and editorial content. So the less advertising, the thinner the magazine or newspaper.

Advertising appears to have picked up somewhat as the recession has eased, but nobody in the publishing industry expects print advertising to reach pre-internet levels ever again.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

Tony, is it a loser idea to charge more for subscriptions? I wonder how much more you had to charge to have a 2:1 ratio or even 1.5:1. I enjoy S&T now, but I would pay more for more content.

#35 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

Tony, is it a loser idea to charge more for subscriptions?

Probably. Cost is the number-one reason people cite for failing to renew their subscriptions.

#36 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

Although the feel of a real book cannot be beaten, with today's e-readers it's great to browse our favorite astro-websites and read electronic versions of articles.
Biggest advantage of an e-reader = carry hundreds of books on a tiny tablet :waytogo:

#37 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

I subscribe to both Sky and Telescope and Astronomy Magazine. I have done so for more than 20 years.

#38 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Note that Astronomy Technology Today has an online only subscription available (6 issues) for $10 vs $18/yr paper & online. I recently switched mine mid-stream.

Al

#39 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

Then those businesses that neglect to advertise in print will miss out on sales to a large, older, and financially more stable demographic that selects products based initially on those ads. Not everyone is addicted to the internet.

#40 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

Then those businesses that neglect to advertise in print will miss out on sales to a large, older, and financially more stable demographic that selects products based initially on those ads.

True enough -- and said demographic is precisely what keeps Sky & Telescope afloat. However, people die out of that demographic but are no longer entering it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics