#26 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

Hi Steve

Great report and comparison.
I have to agree with your view that the polar alignment is an issue with the Nano. The sight hole is difficult to access and just not practical to use.

With some iterations on my balcony, with no north view, using the mobile phone as tool, I have got it to track prety well for planetary observations with my telescope. I think the easiest way would be to adapt the Polaries's alignment tool to be used with the Nano. This is probably the way I will go.

The tracking itself is very good and smooth so there should be no problem tracking longer focal length when properly polar aligned.

best regards
Chris

#27 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hi Chris,

Have you looked at Toast-Pro? Maybe too expensive for the U.S. market.
http://www.toast-tec.../pro/index.html

I had a chance to take a look at Nano Tracker at PATS. It is quite compact.
I'm considering when Hutech starts taking order.

I took a few pictures at Hutech Booth if you are interested.
http://www.pbase.com...yhomma/2012pats

Tammy

#28 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

the original TOAST is guaranteed +/- 5" periodic error, has a 240-tooth worm wheel that is 133mm in diameter. Heck that's a bigger worm wheel than the one on my AP mount! (and that PE rating is Tak EM200 class)

while the TOAST Pro is +/- 7" periodic error, 150-tooth 83.5mm wheel.

http://tan14.com/Others.htm

the TOAST Pro is about $1300 USD. Pretty expensive, yes. That's Tak Teegul level. Probably better PE though.

#29 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

Hi Tami

I checked out the "Toast pro" at Kyoei, at the time I decided to buy the Nano. It seems to be well made with a nice finish. But it is quite big and heavy, on the other hand it can certainly carry a lot of load. The price is definitely on the high side, as Orly already mentioned. For that money you could get a small GEM that would do an equal or better job.

Thank you for the images of PATS some nice equipment, I noticed they showed the same Nano/Borg mount combination that I am using ;)

best regards
Chris

#30 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

I decided to find a solution for the polar alignment issue with the Nano.
Since I have no view to Polaris an optical solution was no option, so I decided to adapt the "Polariemeter" Vixen sells for their Polarie on the Nano.

I installed a flash shoe that is normally is used to fix an external photo flash to a tripod. One has to be careful to align the shoe as good as possible to the polar axis... not so easy. ;)

So the flash shoe on the Nano Tracker looks as follows...

Attached Files

#31 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

With the flash shoe in place it is possible to mount and remove the Polariemeter as needed. The Polariemeter itself is easy to use, setting angle and using the bubble level and the compass to align to the polar axis. My feeling is that the tool itself is not overly precise... it needs quite some movement until the bubble moves.
However my alignment was quite good so I could easily track Jupiter for several minutes at 120x without correction. With some fine an improvement would certainly be possible.

best regards
Chris

Attached Files

#32 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

In my quest to see what this small tracker can do I have imaged Jupiter with a B/W camera and the Tak FS-60Q. No comparison of course with the big SCT's but it is surprising what can be achieved. ;)
The GRS leaves the scene on the right side of the planetary disk and the moons Ganymede, Io and Callisto are visible from left to right.

regards
Chris

Attached Files

#33 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Chris,

That is some very nice work indeed! I'm tempted to put your combo (Borg Alt-Az + Nano or Polarie) on my acquire list for my FS-60C travel setup!

#34 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

Hi Peter,

The FS-60C should work perfect with this combo since it is shorter than the FS-60Q. I find my setup to be on the limit of stability especially imaging planets at 1500mm focal length. The tracker is not the problem but using the balhead of the tripod to adjust the latitude angle.

I am considering adding an angle plate, which would bring the center of gravity to the middle of my tripod. The setup is shown on this website:
http://www.kyoei-tok...13000002/order/

best regards
Chris

#35 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

There is another new compact camera tracking mount on the market: it is the Skytracker from Ioptron.

Click this link for more information.

#36 Konihlav

Konihlav

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

my short experience with nanotracker:

http://blog.astrofot...velpech/?p=1140

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics