Alignmaster with Meade classic Ascom

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

Anyone using Alignmaster with their classic Lx200 Ascom drivers. I have an Lxd mount and I cannot get Alignmaster to recognize my Ascom drivers. If anyone else had this problem, how did you solve it? Thanks.
Jim

#2 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

If you are using a USB to serial adapter, double check you are using the correct com port. The align aster error message is kinda vague, at least in 1.7.

If you plug the USB to serial adapter in a different USB port it will often switch com port numbers on you. Just go into the device manager to see the com port number.

Then in align master, you will click setup for the ascot driver, and select that same com port.

Hope that helps,
Mike

#3 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

I cannot even get to the screen to put the com port in. I have the Meade classic Ascom driver and it shows up in telescpe chooser but when I hit properties, I get a big whit error mesage saying that it cannot load the Meade EX driver. I have reinstalled the driver several times but it makes no difference.

#4 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

You have the ascom platform installed right?

Mike

#5 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yes, platform 6 is installed. I can connect through Astro Planner, the Autostar Suite and Stellarium.

#6 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

I used Alignmaster last night, for the first time with my LX200 Classic. I select Meade Classic and Autostar 1 ASCOM as my scope choice. I generally use POTH, so that I can attach other devices to ascom also.

I hope this helps.

Andy

#7 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

So you can use either Poth or Meade to connect?

#8 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

I just reinstalled Ascom 6 and the Meade driver and now it works! My Ascom 6 must have been corrupted. I might even try Poth. Thanks.
Jim

#9 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track!

Andy

#10 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Good glad t worked.

I like align master quite a bit, when I double check my polar alignment with pempro, it's always very close. Once even less than an arc minute, whic I thought was spectacular fr how quickly it worked.

The author does respond to emails, so if you have any questions fill out the form on hs site.

Mike

#11 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

How many times did you do the align with alignmaster? The instructions say that to do it twice for even better alignment. Does POTH also work with the Meade mount? Thanks.
Jim

#12 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

I think I have done two iterations, did the third just to see the remaining error and decided it wasn't worth bothering. I then checked with pempro.

Pempro prolly can get you the last 5%, alignmaster can get you most of the way though. Was good enough to start snapping pics at least

Mike

#13 Hollywood

Hollywood

Sputnik

• Loc: San Diego CA.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hey group,
I just got alignmaster recently to use with my Meade LX200GPS 8" and was wondering if it works in Polar/eq mount? I ask because last night I finally got AM to respond and recognize com ports.(I was jazzed) My alignmaster routine as follows.... I put my scope into the home polar position on a wedge and I do a rough polar alignment..i.e. Typical polar eq setup just before if one were to use a one or two star alignment with hand controller. I then pick the best 2 star setup recommended by alignmaster but when I press the "goto" it slews the ota downward "dec" and to the right but as soon as it slews down I can hear the motors strain when they hit the stops. it should have slewed to the left and up????(where stars are) Am I missing something? Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Mark

#14 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

You have to do the normal alignment prior to using alignmaster. Until you actually align using the handbox the scope has no idea where it is pointing. Just do a normal alignment just like you are going to use the scope to observe.

After the scope is aligned as usual, then you can run through the alignmaster routine. I'd recommend using a reticle eyepiece to make it more accurate.

Mike

#15 Hollywood

Hollywood

Sputnik

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thank you Mike. another question, When making your adjustments in alignmaster to the first set of stars should both star adjustments be done by adjusting the mount only and not by the hand controller? if so I dont see how alignmaster can determine the difference in error. by using the handcontroller I could see. Sorry but these directions are a bit confusing and I really do appreciate your help. Thanks

#16 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Right. When you pick your stars in alignmaster, it will instruct you to hit the goto button. On my gps scope the Autostar slews, then beeps when the slew is complete. Alignmaster will then tell you to center the object using the hand controller. Once the star is centered, hit next, and repeat on the second star.

After getting both stars centered alignmaster will ask if you want to correct azimuth, if you hit yes, it will slew the scope to a new position, adjust the azimuth on the wedge until you get the scope back on the star. Then hit next, and it will do the same thing in altitude.

I do this twice, and am pretty close.

Mike

#17 Hollywood

Hollywood

Sputnik

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thank you Mike.

#18 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Manage to get it to work? I find that alignmaster significantly improves my goto accuracy by getting my polar alignment spot on.

Mike

#19 Hollywood

Hollywood

Sputnik

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi Mike and Happy Holidays!

Sorry I just read your reply and a matter of fact I tried it last night.... I did get it to work (I think) There was one issue I quite did not understand. After polar alignment and centering with alignmaster...AM will ask you if you want to correct Az. I choose yes and it slews abit and ask me to make AZ correction and center star. I tried but could only adjust the star to come back to the center line of my reticle ep though not get it dead centered. I would need to adjust alt also to accurately center the star(i did adjust this). This is the same with ALT procedure too. not sure if this is how it should be?. Thanks for any help.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics