CG-5 GT computer issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 loo27

loo27

Viking 1

• Loc: GA

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

I have a 4 yr old cg-5 gt that has worked great for many years. Tonight, i plug in the hand controller, it says intializing, then goes blank, but still lit. Has the hand controller gone bad? the whole mount? Any easy fixes?

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

The first question usually asked when it comes to Celestron mounts is what kind of power supply are you using? Celeston mounts are sensitive to voltage drain. If you're using a powerpack, make sure that it's fully charged. Voltage drop off will cause your mount to act like Mr. Hyde.

David

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Cliff,

First take a deep breath, it is very very unlikely there is anything permanently wrong with your mount. If the power is good (source, connections, etc.) you might need to re flash the firmware in the hand controller. Have a read of the website www.nexstarsite.com for info on the connection and how to do the upgrade. There is also a condition where the hand controller is stuck in "initializing" mode where a dummy version of the firmware can be substituted to "unstick" the hand controller.

Mike's website contains a ton of good information to guide you through the steps required to bring back your hand controller.

#4 loo27

loo27

Viking 1

• Loc: GA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

thanks for the advice! deep breath taken. RE: power source - i'm at home and plug directly in the wall, but did notice it seems the plug into the mount seemed a little loose. I'll follow up on all this advice.

Cliff,

First take a deep breath, it is very very unlikely there is anything permanently wrong with your mount. If the power is good (source, connections, etc.) you might need to re flash the firmware in the hand controller. Have a read of the website www.nexstarsite.com for info on the connection and how to do the upgrade. There is also a condition where the hand controller is stuck in "initializing" mode where a dummy version of the firmware can be substituted to "unstick" the hand controller.

Mike's website contains a ton of good information to guide you through the steps required to bring back your hand controller.

#5 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

The power switch on mine went bad a couple weeks ago. At first I thought it was the power cord, then the battery, but found that if I pushed in on the power switch while turning it on, it was better (for a little while). Eventually it wouldn't stay on at all (handset lights were on, but display went blank). I bypassed the switch with a soldered-on jumper and all's well again.

Before re-flashing the firmware, try the usual power cord tricks (carefully spread the center pin, etc.). If those don't work, try turning the switch on "with authority" and see if it works better. If it does, that may be a sign the switch is failing.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics