Why I still love my MI-250!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

It's been a horrible summer here in New England! My last imaging (or viewing!) session was May 17th!

I went out last night (finally) after almost 3 months of non-use... wiped off the cobwebs - literally! - and fired up the MI-250 with the twin Taks aboard...

Booted up promptly, remembered location, time, etc... and I did my first go to (to Arcturus) to do a "Synch"... Landed in fov of my Ethos 8mm in the TOA130...

fired up the camera to tweak the centering (from a camera perspective) on the FSQ106ED... hit synch.

Sent it to M13 (my target for the night). Landed dead center of the chip.

Turned on the STV and was up, guiding and imaging all in less than 10 minutes!

Got average 1.2 - 1.5" guiding corrections for over 4 hours of imaging, and my FWHMs (on a *very humid* New England night) were 3.2 - 3.4" (note: they almost never are better here).

THAT is why I still don't regret picking this bad-boy up over two years ago!

It just works!

If tonight is cloudy, I'll begin the post processing.

Good mounts are a gift that keeps on giving!

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

You know the gyration that I just went through and still have my 250. I tinkered with it last night and the same results as you. I upgraded to SiTech, but the mechanical side of the mount is so solid that it'll last a lifetime no matter the control firmware. Sure to wish Larry would start making them again.

David

#3 Joel

Joel

Gemini

• Loc: Merrimack, NH

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Has anyone upgraded their MI-250 to Gemini 2? Was wondering if it was a nice upgrade and if all the cables with Gemini 1 would work for 2? It would be nice if I can just plug the Gemini 2 box and hand controller into my current cables.

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

Joel,

Old thread I know. I have a MI250 with a G2. I haven't set it up yet; but the previous owner said it works great. Here is a tutorial on going from G1 to G2... the process is the same for our mounts.

http://goo.gl/RNfRf

Looks like you get new electronics and motors and you're GTG.

Where do you guys post your pictures BTW? I'd love to see some of what you're getting from it.

#5 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

What little I've posted is usually over on CCD imaging... It's been a slow year for me, but earlier images are over there somewhere...

Btw, I believe if you already have the servo motors, either the standard ones, or the Maxxons, that you don't need to replace them to move to Gemini II, but that should be double checked first with Losmandy.

#6 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

It's a seamless fit. Just plug in G2 to the motors, set the parameters and it's good to go.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics