• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Great White North

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

I just received my new eyepiece case from Ron at Wooden Wonders. It truly is a beautiful work of art. It will enable me to go from three aluminum cases down to just one case that holds everything. The red LED is a nice feature and I took one picture to with the flash off to show how it lights up the interior. I had a custom 2nd eyepiece tray made that fits under one of the drawers to hold my Circle T ortho's and my Celestron Plossls. All of my other Tele Vue and ES eyepieces with fit in the main tray in the middle. There was some mix up as to what center tray I was supposed to get as I received the wrong tray so I need to put some of my eyepieces in the upper drawer for now. I will get it switched to the correct one with Ron in no time. They just drop into place and can be changed as your eyepiece collection changes. I don't plan on doing any changes with mine as I am happy with the ones I have. I don't have a crystal ball though and you never can tell what will happen down the road so it is still nice to have that option. I ordered mine with walnut stain and the glow in the dark monogram on the lid. Here's some pictures. :cool:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thats a beautiful case. Wouldn't it be nice if they built custom telescope cases to match, with the same quality and spec.

#3 Keith Howlett

Keith Howlett

Apollo

• Loc: Northumberland, UK

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

--Doug,

I like that a lot, a thing of beauty! :goodjob:

Cheers,

Keith

#4 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks, the pictures really don't do it justice. He really does an incredible job making these.

#5 OneDaveT

OneDaveT

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL, USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Beautiful stuff, and excellent design. The ultimate marriage of form and function in an EP case.

Just curious...any particular reason why you didn't go with the heater in the EP area?

Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures.

#6 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

One reason only...money. :( I have spent too much on toys this year already. I do plan to add it later. Ron told me it is not a problem to do on my own.

#7 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

That is so BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: I am thinking of ordering a case myself. I just have to scrape the money together which isn't easy now that I am retired. Again that is a VERY BEAUTIFUL case you got there!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :applause: :applause: :applause: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bigshock: :bigshock: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: P.S. I wonder if getting an eyepiece case causes bad weather like when you buy an eyepiece or a telescope??? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

#8 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

That is a beauty... classy classic woodwork!

regards
Chris

#9 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Waiting for mine; should be this week.

Bill

#10 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Bill you will be floored when you open the box, I swear my eyes looked like saucers when I pulled it out of the packing. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

#11 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

I have a pre-Ethos version of the same case. Sadly, I now have several tall eyepieces that don't fit in it. :bawling:

- Jim

#12 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

Jim the new cases are taller to accommodate the taller eyepieces. That is how I was able to put a second tray with 15 holes in it for my orthos and plossls under one of the drawers. The center tray has room for eyepieces close to 7" tall. Not that it helps you but it will for the folks like me that buy the newer version.

#13 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

I saw that.

My case typically holds little guys and filters these days. I may have to pick up one of the smaller cases in the new taller format as a supplemental case for big & tall eyepieces.

Incidentally, I think skipping the heater was a good move. The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours. In bulk they go for about $0.25 each, so they're not expensive, and they can be used in your pockets, boots and other cases as well. For example, if I have a scope on an EQ mount set up covered for more than one night, I will toss a satchel onto the spreader/eyepiece tray, under the cover, to prevent moisture from settling on the scope and EQ head under the cover.

If you're ever in the market for an observing Chair, Wood Wonders makes great ones for Catseye.

Posted Image

Regards,

Jim

#14 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Yes I have been looking at the chairs. I like your idea with the hand warmers. We get those at work in bulk.

#15 OneDaveT

OneDaveT

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL, USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours. In bulk they go for about $0.25 each, so they're not expensive...

Sounds like someone skimped on their battery! Last thing I want to do is be dependent on a trip to Costco and pay extra for my EP warmer's when I already have with me a suitable power source. On the other hand if one has a non-powered alt-az mount, a chemical hand warmer could sound more attractive.

Its easy to add a heater later if the desire arises. Some just keep their EP's in their pocket, though I can't see comfortably doing that with ethos or ES100's. Further a case heater may seem slightly overkill, if one uses an EP warmer when mounted in the diagonal.

Regarding chairs, I paid wood wonders the ultimate compliment, by borrowing heavily from their design when I built my own:
http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

#16 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

I got a similar case, ordered at NEAF. Only difference from this one was it was cherry stained to match my Teeter scope.
Pix at http://www.flickr.co...ith/7178149457/

#17 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

One of these cases is still on my short list! :bow:

#18 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Very nice Willie, cherry was on my short list for color. Actually it was in the final two but I ultimately went with the special walnut.

#19 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

That's an absolute work of art!

#20 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Incidentally, I think skipping the heater was a good move. The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours.

Are you sure those things don't outgas?! The reason I mention it is because the eyepiece lenses (bottoms) are exposed in these cases.Damage to coatings may occur if they do!

#21 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

I am ordering one today!

#22 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Funny :)
That is what happened to me, I saw one of these in a thread and I had to have one. I was hooked. He is a one man show and is quite busy making them. It took about a month or a bit more befoe mine shipped from the time I ordered it.

#23 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

"Sounds like someone skimped on their battery! Last thing I want to do is be dependent on a trip to Costco and pay extra for my EP warmer's when I already have with me a suitable power source."

Here's why I think the in-case electrical solution is poorly conceived.

1. It requires a wire from your mount/dew heater battery, which increases cable clutter around the scope and mount.

2. Your case heater takes juice from the battery that your mount and scope dew suppression solution also relies on, reducing your maximum in-field time without needing a recharge.

3. It costs $175 (enough for two lifetimes of hand warmer packets ordered online annually, without a single trip to Costco ever).

4. When you pack up for the night to drive home, unless you keep the case plugged in, moisture in the air inside the case will condense and settle on the eye lenses in transit. That doesn't happen with the hand warmer packets which work all the way home and all the way until dawn when you can box up the eyepieces in a moisture free environment.

5. Hand warmer packets have other uses, like warming your hands, sleeping bag, boots, etc.

All in all, when I looked at adding electrically powered heat to my case (long before WW adapted the Kendrick system to its cases as an option) I decided that it was a costly, awkward (cable-clutter; battery dependency), non-versatile, and only partially effective solution (didn't work on the way home), which led me instead to the cheaper, more effective, no-clutter, hand warmer idea. But hey, if you dig having a 3-way splitter and plugging your eyepiece case into your battery, I'm happy for ya. :grin:

- Jim

#24 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Yep, I'm sure they don't outgas. It's a simple accelerated (salt catalyzed) "rusting" (iron oxidization) reaction in an inert insulating medium to retard heat dispersal.

I do not cap either the bottoms or tops of my eyepieces while in the field case. This speeds up eyepiece swaps and avoids the added logistics of finding a place for the cap when not in use. The satchel goes in under one of the side drawers. It generates plenty of heat to keep the interior of the case dry if kept closed between eyepiece swaps.

Now, do the chemicals used for the vinyl casing on the Kendrick strip outgas when heated? How about the petroleum distillates and other chemicals in the Minwax stain used on the surfaces on the inside of the case? Has anyone tested this? :thinking:

- Jim

#25 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

That'd be pretty, but also mighty heavy. You might need a crane to move such a case for a C14 OTA. :lol:

- Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics