• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

looking at the spec's on this mount, it might be the real deal!!!! it have BALL BEARINGS on both axis. i had the astro tech voyager at one time and it like to drive me crazy trying get both axis smooth. after taking it apart i found that it turned on metal to metal with teflon washers on the side. i gave up. the orions with bearings might just be a very smooth mount and well put together. does anyone have one. would like to hear from you and your option. thanks, don

#2 Shawn H

Shawn H

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Equatorial Guinea, West Africa

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

I just ordered one from Explore Scientific, they call it the Twilight I, but its the exact same mount as the Versago III. Orion is asking $329.99 and ES is asking $299.99. I know "Manny Miles" (PM Manny) got one back in April and had a pretty long thread going! It should be just a page or 2 back! ;)

#3 Shawn H

Shawn H

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

Donnie
I just brought the ES Twilight I alt/az mount thread up front for ya! ;)

#4 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

looking at the spec's on this mount, it might be the real deal!!!! it have BALL BEARINGS on both axis. i had the astro tech voyager at one time and it like to drive me crazy trying get both axis smooth. after taking it apart i found that it turned on metal to metal with teflon washers on the side. i gave up. the orions with bearings might just be a very smooth mount and well put together. does anyone have one. would like to hear from you and your option. thanks, don

Where did you learn that it has ball bearings? While the slow motion action is smooth in both axes, I am not sure that this is the case.

I like my ES Twilight I. My only complaints are that it does have some shakes when focusing at 140X or higher, and that I have to bend down a little when viewing straight up with my 4" refractor. Upgrading the tripod does help in both areas.

#5 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

oldmaninhawaii, go to orions website and altazimuth mounts, versago lll mount, at the bottom of page you will see "product support section in blue" click on it then click on instruction manual, download it. at the bottom of the manual you will see "specifications" bearing surfaces. don

#6 Shawn H

Shawn H

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

Old guy
Have you tried anti vibration pads :question:

#7 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

donnie: thanks for the link to the bearing info altho I still am somewhat skeptical.

Shawn: no vib pads & I don't plan on buying / using any. I think most of the vibration is from the mount's head itself.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics