emission line stars in Cygnus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:51 AM

Last couple of nights been targetting emission line stars in Cygnus via the Rainbow Optics grating before my one-shot Lodestar-C cam in brief exposures via 30cm SCT @ f/3.5 last night and f/6.3 the first night. Results are pretty but stars appear heavily defocused but resulting astigmatism used to enhance line structure ! Dark lines abutting emission lines are artifacts of my processing.

Whilst attempting to image carbon star WX Cyg I spied emmision line in a star immediately west in HD 193077 which proved to have an O type spectrum and probably a known Wolf-Rayet star. The strange colour swap in the spectrum due to overlapping field star

On the first night I targetted Campbells Star eg PN PK 64+5.1 for a colour spectrum - the pic as reversed compared to above. Hope you like the results.

Attached Files

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

Campbell's Star + M57 spectra

Attached Files

#3 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hi nitecam,
Interesting data. Have you ever tried to correlate the changes in spectral intensity distribution with the cycle phase of an intrinsic ( non-eclipsing variable star?
This could be an interesting project.

#4 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hi nitecam, Interesting data. Have you ever tried to correlate the changes in spectral intensity distribution with the cycle phase of an intrinsic ( non-eclipsing variable star? This could be an interesting project.

Yep - done that with TCep awhile back :grin: Astro-spectroscopy is probably BIGGER with more options than the regular astro that amateurs conduct but time and expertise is the limiting factor :roflmao:

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

I noticed that the Star Analyzer makes it very easy to locate any M type stars in a given field as they have a very distinctive 'fish bone' spectrum. That is, the spectrum has so many strong absorption lines and it is shifted so far into the red that to me it looks like a set of fish bones. Hot blue stars tend to have a more solid continuum.

Soo much to do, so few clear nights...

#6 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi nitecam, Interesting data. Have you ever tried to correlate the changes in spectral intensity distribution with the cycle phase of an intrinsic ( non-eclipsing variable star? This could be an interesting project.

Yep - done that with TCep awhile back :grin: Astro-spectroscopy is probably BIGGER with more options than the regular astro that amateurs conduct but time and expertise is the limiting factor :roflmao:

With me time is the limiting factor as I have zero expertise :roflmao:
I'd love to do that - ( maybe in a year or so I'll be ready) :tonofbricks:

#7 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Excellent stuff, Maurice.

I had a go at P-Cygni with the SA100 and 80mm scope over the weekend. An amazing object.

http://www.lafterhal..._spec_id001.jpg

#8 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

Excellent P Cyg Jim - I see you've got NaI emission in yellow - may need to amend my P Cyg posted elsewhere where I've noted helium for this line :o

#9 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Excellent P Cyg Jim - I see you've got NaI emission in yellow - may need to amend my P Cyg posted elsewhere where I've noted helium for this line :o

I'm learning that decoding the spectre is as much an art as a science....me thinks.

I keep finding more and more excellent stuff on your web site......how long have you been at this?!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics