Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Anyone having trouble fitting 2" filters on ES eyepieces?
I just received my new ES 82°-30mm eyepiece and am having trouble threading any one of my 2" filters. I own several other ES eyepieces but this is the only 2" ES eyepiece I own so I can't compare.
The filters thread fine on all my other 2" non-ES eyepieces.

I checked for barrel roundness and it's fine. I noticed the threads seemed very fine and did not seem to be cut deeply. That seemed to be the problem.

I will contact the vendor this morning to see if this can be exchanged.
I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Thanks!

#2 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

I just tested my own ES30mm 82' with two Skywatcher 2" filters (UHC and OIII).
I usually do this when i get a new EP but your post made me unsure :) Test, test and test again :)

The UHC is fine no problems - the OIII is a bit tight right at the start of the thread but with a little push goes on ok. When I say a little push I mean just a tand more force than I would expect - as if theres maybe just a rough spot on a thread.

#3 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

OK, I just received this reply from the vendor:

"I just spoke with Explore Scientific and they are saying the eyepieces are not threaded for filters. The threads you see there are apparently baffle threaded and not threaded for screw in filters."

I'm actually a bit puzzled by this. I can force the filter to thread but it's a very tight fit, maybe one complete turn and no more, and it takes some effort for the thread to 'catch' initially.....something I'm not willing spend extra time doing in the dark.

#4 JoeM101

JoeM101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 45.66086, -73.54702

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

:question: why would ES put out EPs that don't accept filters.. where's the logic in that?

#5 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

:question: why would ES put out EPs that don't accept filters.. where's the logic in that?

Exactly. I can't use a filter when using this ep on my dob?? :confused:

#6 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Mine is a little tight also. I had the same problem with my ES 20 and 14 100 degree. What I did to solve the problem is kept threading and unthreading the filters to remove any burrs from the threads. Now my Orion filters thread on to eyepieces just fine. Just don't force the filter otherwise it may get stuck.
Barry

#7 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

"I just spoke with Explore Scientific and they are saying the eyepieces are not threaded for filters. The threads you see there are apparently baffle threaded and not threaded for screw in filters."

Sorry but this is not true ! I just tested my Baader OIII on my ES30 82° and it thread very well. Do you talked about the ES 30mm 82° N2 purged ?

#8 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sorry but this is not true ! I just tested my Baader OIII on my ES30 82° and it thread very well. Do you talked about the ES 30mm 82° N2 purged ?

Yes, same ep. My Baader O-III along with other Celestron and Orion filters will not thread. If the thread catches it can go maybe one full 'tight' turn, and no more.

#9 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Yes, same ep. My Baader O-III along with other Celestron and Orion filters will not thread. If the thread catches it can go maybe one full 'tight' turn, and no more.

There is a problem with your EP for sure. In the spec at Explore Scientific site they specified that the barrel of the 82° series accept standard filter:

Optical Design: 6 or 7* Elements; Combination of: Dense Crown, Light Crown, Dense Flint, and Lanthanum Optical Glasses*see chart

Apparent Field: 82°

Coatings: EMD™ (Enhanced Multilayer Deposition) Coatings

Body: Anodized Black Aluminum; Laser-Etched Description and Serial
Number; Rubber Grip: Internally O-Ring Sealed and Nitrogen Purged

Barrel: Stainless-Steel, Double Taper, Accepts Standard Filters

Eyecup: Rubber Folding Type

#10 JoeM101

JoeM101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 45.66086, -73.54702

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm actually a bit puzzled by this. I can force the filter to thread but it's a very tight fit, and it takes some effort for the thread to 'catch' initially.....something I'm not willing to do in the dark.

I would definitely call them back, the guy you spoke to must have been mistaken, makes no sense at all

#11 Tank

Tank

Vanguard

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Which version of the ES 30mm
is it this one:
http://www.astronomi...duct_id/ES8230W

or this one

http://telescopes.ne...piece-30mm.html

Think they should both be threaded!

#12 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

This complaint comes up here frequently with 2" Synta filters, which include Orion, Skywatcher, Celestron, and whatever other brands they make. I've always had trouble with the Orion 2" filters. The problem is their threads are a shallower depth cut from OD to ID than most eyepieces and other filters. There seems to be two standards wrt filter threads.

#13 AhBok

AhBok

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

I would forward that reply to Scott Roberts. An incorrect statement like that can snowball and cost sales. My 30 mm ES 82 is definitely threaded for 2" filters and works quite well with them.

#14 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

"I just spoke with Explore Scientific and they are saying the eyepieces are not threaded for filters.

Doesn't make sense.

#15 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Well, apparently, the vendor tried to thread a filter on one of their remaining stock ep's and it did not thread.
Anyway, I've requested an exchange for another with good working threads.

#16 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

I just threaded both my new Denkmeir 2" filters on my 30ES, and both went on very smoothly.

#17 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Most likely what has happened is due to a maxed out production rate. Most likely because of the sale they are spitting these eyepieces out so fast that the QC has slipped a bit. So these eyepieces got thru without the proper threading. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap:

#18 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Most likely what has happened is due to a maxed out production rate. Most likely because of the sale they are spitting these eyepieces out so fast that the QC has slipped a bit. So these eyepieces got thru without the proper threading. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap:

Exactly, and sadly, my thinking as well...

#19 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

I actually suspect there's nothing wrong with your eyepiece's threads. If you have access to a non-Synta brand filter try it out. I'll bet it works fine.

#20 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

I actually suspect there's nothing wrong with your eyepiece's threads. If you have access to a non-Synta brand filter try it out. I'll bet it works fine.

I'd agree with that. Some filters are very difficult to thread on. My Orion was so difficult, it would only catch one thread. I worked it back & forth for quite some time, each time it threaded a little further on, until finally it would thread on; but it was a struggle to get it to thread, in the beginning.

#21 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Well, I have a Baader O-III among two other brands (Syntas)that don't fit. I don't think Synta makes Baader filters.
The threads on the ep barrel definitely look very thin and shallow.
I will try to post a close-up pic of the threading later on this evening.

#22 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Most likely what has happened is due to a maxed out production rate. Most likely because of the sale they are spitting these eyepieces out so fast that the QC has slipped a bit. So these eyepieces got thru without the proper threading.

And maybe coating... and lens quality....

#23 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:58 AM

This evening I had a machinist friend of mine chase the threads on the eyepiece and that seemed to do the trick.
I can now thread my Baader filters all the way in with only slight resistance.
My Celestron and Orion filters which I rarely use now thread one complete turn which is fine by me.

My diagonals, ep adapters, and other non-ES eyepieces handle all my filters without issue, synta and others, no problem.
This 2" ES eyepiece was the first ever that's given me filter threading problems.
It's an excellent ep, except for the quality of the filter threading being sub-par.
I decided, therefore, to hang on to this ep.

Thank you all for your comments!

#24 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

By taking this as their official position, they won't have to take back any of their eyepieces that are not playing nicely with any of their customer's filters.

The downside, of course, is that now that their policy is known, sales will suffer bigtime.

I'm going to let my fellow club members know about this thread immediately and I'm sure others will spread the word as well. Right now my only personal ES is a 82 deg N2 6.7mm and I never even tried using it with one of my 1.25 inch filters so far. I just ASSUMED it would work.

When you ASSUME, you make an A** out of U and ME.

#25 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

By taking this as their official position, they won't have to take back any of their eyepieces that are not playing nicely with any of their customer's filters.

The downside, of course, is that now that their policy is known, sales will suffer bigtime.

I'm going to let my fellow club members know about this thread immediately and I'm sure others will spread the word as well. Right now my only personal ES is a 82 deg N2 6.7mm and I never even tried using it with one of my 1.25 inch filters so far. I just ASSUMED it would work.

When you ASSUME, you make an A** out of U and ME.

Okay the membership director of my club just communicated to me via private message that his 2 inch Orion Filters would not fit his 2 inch 35mm ES 70 degree eyepiece. This was fortunately from the inexpensive line and only cost him $50. I was actually the person who suggested to him that he buy it. I don't think he has immediate access to any non-Orion 2 inch filters.

I seem to remember that there were reports of Meade eyepieces not taking standard filters a while ago. I recall that the ES ep's could be related to the Meades in some way?

This whole thing is disappointing. I have Orion and Lumicon filters, all 1.25 inch, and I will try them in my 6.7mm ES 82 N2 as soon as I get home and post results unless someone else does so first.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics