Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#76 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Time to resurrect this thread! :jump:

I just tried threading my 2" Orion Ultrablock onto my 34mm ES 68 and it was a bit touchy at first, but once I got it to catch, it threaded all of the way on!

Cheers,

Not that it's worth much but I won't buy any Synta branded filter of any type because of threading issues I personally noticed. Lumicon and Baader so far, seem OK so I'll stick with those.

#77 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

The Orion nebula filters are made in Korea, not by Synta. But standardization of threads has always been a problem. Fortunately, filters are light. A couple threads catching is all you need.

#78 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

I think the question to be asked is why there is no international standard for eyepiece filter threads, not why brand X filter doesn't fit brand Y threads.

Some filter threads fit better on some eyepieces than others, but if they have threads I have always been able to get them to stay on with less thread turns. I belive different filter suppliers and eyepiece makers make threads a little different to get you to want to buy their version.

I mostly use an astrocrumb filter slide now, and some filters don't thread so nicely on that either but they do stay on; and I don't have to fumble in the cold (and drop them like I used to).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics