CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#76 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Time to resurrect this thread! :jump:

I just tried threading my 2" Orion Ultrablock onto my 34mm ES 68 and it was a bit touchy at first, but once I got it to catch, it threaded all of the way on!

Cheers,

Not that it's worth much but I won't buy any Synta branded filter of any type because of threading issues I personally noticed. Lumicon and Baader so far, seem OK so I'll stick with those.

#77 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

The Orion nebula filters are made in Korea, not by Synta. But standardization of threads has always been a problem. Fortunately, filters are light. A couple threads catching is all you need.

#78 faackanders2

faackanders2

Gemini

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

I think the question to be asked is why there is no international standard for eyepiece filter threads, not why brand X filter doesn't fit brand Y threads.

Some filter threads fit better on some eyepieces than others, but if they have threads I have always been able to get them to stay on with less thread turns. I belive different filter suppliers and eyepiece makers make threads a little different to get you to want to buy their version.

I mostly use an astrocrumb filter slide now, and some filters don't thread so nicely on that either but they do stay on; and I don't have to fumble in the cold (and drop them like I used to).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics