Photo

The Casual Sky Observer's Guide (Springer 2012)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

• Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

After reading this thread I decided that it would be better to order this directly from Springer. I did so back on 9/6.

I'm still waiting for it.

I have the PayPal transaction number and the Springer order number. Unfortunately, Springer isn't timely about returning my e-mail inquiries. The only response that I received is that they will forward my question to their U.S. offices.

So I'll keep trying. Not much else I can do at the moment. I know that they're good people. I have a hunch that i just keep falling through the cracks.

Chris

#27 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Ranger 4

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

My recent experience with Springer was in slo-mo as well, but, not quite as lengthy as yours, at about a month. I've grown so accustomed to instant gratification, that, even if this computer reacts 0.5 seconds slower than usual, my blood pressure ticks up a notch...

#28 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

While I don't need instant gratification, I would like to see a semblance of customer service. A 24 hour response time just to receive a "we got your request and will get back to you shortly" notice would be great. And fulfilling an order in a timely manner is just good business.

I've still heard nothing from the U.S. Springer office.

I absolutely LOVE Rony's sketches. It's what I hope to aspire to some day. But given Springer's lack of responsiveness, I'm having a hard time supporting them in this endeavor. It's been 2 months since I've ordered and approaching 2 weeks since I sent in the "what's the status?" inquiry. I'm ready to cancel my order and just forget about it.

Of course, that would imply that they would acknowledge an order cancelation.

Chris

#29 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

After several calls and finally getting a hold of a Springer office in the U.S. that admitted that they did publish the book, I got information that ALL copies of this are "Print on Demand" so you get luck of the draw when it comes to the final quality. Some are just better than others.

They told me that they'd be happy to refund my order and I accepted that offer.

Of course, it's 2 weeks later and the PayPal account hasn't been credited yet.

If only I could run my own business transactions this way. ;-) Live and learn, I guess.

#30 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

After several calls and finally getting a hold of a Springer office in the U.S. that admitted that they did publish the book, I got information that ALL copies of this are "Print on Demand" so you get luck of the draw when it comes to the final quality. Some are just better than others.

They told me that they'd be happy to refund my order and I accepted that offer.

Of course, it's 2 weeks later and the PayPal account hasn't been credited yet.

If only I could run my own business transactions this way. ;-) Live and learn, I guess.

Too bad. I made similar bad experiences with Springer. Apparently, big-business Springer is too busy and does not care any longer about such boring things like quality control. My first POD-copy from Amazon was simply a nightmare, the second POD-copy from Printforce Netherlands was acceptable. Price is always the same, but is is pure lottery what Springer's sub-contractors will deliver to you...

Ronny's fine book deserves another publisher/distributor.

Stephan

#31 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

Anyone else who purchased this POD-publication? It would be interesting to read more experiences on the delivered printing quality (good/bad).

Stephan

#32 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

When talking with Springer, I was told that ALL copies of this title are POD. It doesn't make a difference who you order them from. You get "luck of the draw" on how it comes out. You can always send it back and hope to get a better quality one.

And, as an update, I've now sent a registered letter to Springer's accounting department to at least acknowledge that I have a problem since they've ignored all email attempts and my phone conversations have gone nowhere. It has a detailed list of all my contact attempts, as well as a print out of the PayPal order confirmation to show that I paid. I sent this earlier via email - at Springer's request - but never heard a peep from them after that.

I have a hunch that I'm just out the $40 and will never buy another Springer publication. Which is sad. I've enjoyed their books for the past 35 years. I'm not self-centered enough to think that my personal business means a thing to the company. I won't make or break them based on my decision. It won't influence them in any way or even cause a single employee there more than a minute of thought. It's just a personal decision. And maybe the universe's way of telling me that I have enough astronomy books and I don't need any more from this publisher. ;-)

Chris

#33 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

I made similar bad experiences with Springer's customer service. And even worse, big-business Springer is not willing to ensure an acceptable quality control on their POD-publications. I was burnt on several occasions with unacceptable printing quality and had to return those Springer publications to Amazon or directly to Springer, at my cost. Springer's POD-politics leaves a lot to be desired, simply too much hassles and unexpected follow-up expenses.

Stephan

#34 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Out of curiosity I checked to see what the Better Business Bureau had on Springer. They're currently given a rating of "F" by the BBB for number of complaints and no resolutions.

It sounds to me like the right way to approach purchasing a Springer publication is to order it from a 3rd party and let that entity take the risk of dealing with Springer.

#35 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

As an update, after email, phone calls, and a registered letter where everything was ignored, I contacted the Better Business Bureau and Springer responded in fairly short order.

They're sending me the book! I'm excited. Since I wanted this one from the beginning, I'm happy with just that. I do appreciate it, Springer.

However, they've also given me a coupon for $50 toward anything they have in their store - printed or ebook.

Anybody have ideas on what might be a good purchase? I'm solely a visual guy with a small refractor in a white zone that I get to take to darker skies a few times a year.

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics