#1 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Everyone,

How should I put this? I've got good news and I've got bad news...so let's start with the bad news.

We found out a couple days ago that we did not win one of the dozen $250,000 grants from Chase/LivingSocial that we applied for back in June. That was the grant where we asked everyone to vote for us using their FaceBook accounts. The winners were announced on the www.MissionSmallBusiness.com website and while we knew our chances were slim at best, I don't think we realized just how slim. According to the website, nearly 70,000 businesses applied nationwide. We were a very small fish swimming in a big ocean. But everyone here including myself, my wife and my part time help really appreciate your efforts of voting for us and helping spread the word. As I always say, "you have to be in it to win it", so we had to try and had we not tried I'd be wondering "what if." So thanks for helping put my mind at ease! ;-)

However, there's good news that has come out of this...through a twist of fate, during the voting process a family friend saw our plea for votes on FaceBook and inquired to know more about our business and how we intended to use the grant if we won it. It was explained that the main use of the money would be to acquire a larger work space since we had outgrown our current location. It just so happened that this family friend owned a business in which they owned the industrial building they're in and had extra space which was sitting empty. Needless to say we toured the facility, talked specifics and a week later was moving in! :-)

We now have approximately 750 square feet of space, which may not sound like a whole lot but when you consider we had been jammed into 150 square feet previously, the new space feels cavernous! Instead of doing everything (sanding, finishing, assembly, packing, etc.) in one room, we now have three separate and distinct rooms for the major fabrication processes (a main assembly room, a drying room for when the wooden components get polyurethaned, and a "Show Room" or space to keep all of our finished product).

Several customers have already stopped by, including some of whom are members on this group and know our previous work space, and cannot believe the change. We really got lucky finding this space and right now it is everything, and then some, that we need. A DropBox Gallery has been created showing this new space:

https://www.dropbox....z5et/0FgMSCVX5o

Granted, it's not perfect and probably won't be our last move, but did we ever need an upgrade like this! :-) We'll have to manage with the smaller than optimal doorways (ideally we would have a large garage-type door leading to the outside, but at this point any scope we build has to be able to fit through a standard size door, which limits us to an aperture of 22") and the carpeted main work area (although having carpet is pretty nice on your feet and back, but the saw dust just gets ground into the fibers). But hey, I'm not complaining.

We can now easily handle production runs that are double or triple what we used to limit ourselves to in the past now that we've got this extra space. So we're really excited about that because we've always felt that we've lost orders when we couldn't take orders because we had run out of space.

This is all thanks to the generosity of Allan Industries (http://www.allanindustries.com), a commercial cleaning/janitorial services company, specifically their owner Paul and COO Kevin. They made this space available to us at a price that couldn't be beat and have been super accommodating in our move. We ask that if anyone needs the services which Allan Industries provides that you please keep them in mind.

Lastly, for those in the local area here, we invite you to schedule a day/time if you'd like to drop by and see our new facility in person. We'd love to show you around and talk scopes! We're located at:

270 Route 46, Suite B
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Thanks! Take care,

#2 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Congrats on the 'good' news, Rob!

Best of luck with your new digs. :waytogo:

Ron

#3 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Great space, Rob. Congrats!

#4 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hey, rolling a mirror box through the doorway sideways with the mirror verticle means you can do about a 6 foot mirror. :jump:

That said, the door should limit you to practical sizes that your customers can use in real life.

My shop is 120 sqft, so I have to roll everything out onto the patio to get any work done. If I could move into a 750 sqft shop it would be heaven! I know how you feel. But I hope you outgrow it ASAP. :)

#5 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

• Loc: VA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Good things do happen! Terrific space and I couldn't be more happy for you. Boy did you move fast with door signs and everything set. Congrats and good luck.

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

any scope we build has to be able to fit through a standard size door

Could the doorways be made a little larger? You new place looks real nice!

#7 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors
  • Loc: salem, OR

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

Great news, Rob! Looks like a nice space, is that where the band rehearses as well?

Best,
Mark

#8 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Looks like an excellent workspace. Something you really needed to keep the quality top notch.

Now if you can only get Carl Zambuto to move in one of your rooms to make mirrors you will be full service! ;).

#9 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Rob,

It is common in high-end renovation work to 'pave' fancy hardwood or carpeted apartment floors with a layer or two of rosin paper and 1/4" masonite sheets, cut to fit as needed, and taped together with gaffer's (not duct) tape. It provides a safe, puncture resistant, paint-able, dust-proof temporary floor. Masonite lays down better than 1/4 or 3/8 ply, which usually warps and causes problems.
Just a thought......
Congrats on the move!

Russ

#10 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

Congrats on the new space. Hope that you keep on making amazing time travel machines (a.k.a. telescopes!) for many years to come.

#11 GatorStarGazer

GatorStarGazer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Schertz, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Congrats on the new digs, Rob. Long live the small business entrepreneur!

Cheers...Eric

#12 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

... we had been jammed into 150 square feet previously.

(in my best Yorkshire accent) ... "a 150 square feet? ... that's luxury. When we were young my father built us a complete 24" Newtonian scope and mount including the observatory in a closet." (with respect to Monty Python)

:lol:

Seriously, congrats on the new space Rob.

#13 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hmmm... there's even room for Drapes by Heather. ;)

#14 Doug Reilly

Doug Reilly

Viking 1

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Great news, Rob, grad to see Teeter's growing!

#15 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hey guys! Thanks for all of the compliments - I just saw most of them tonight. It's been a great experience and continues to be so working in this new space. The garage served its purpose when I was building 2 or 3 scopes a year, but now that we're doing upwards of 25, most of which are 15" and larger, space tends to get eaten up fast.

And thanks for the suggestion about the floors...believe me, had I the time necessary to do that before I got everything moved in, I would have. But, thankfully, all of you guys are keeping me busy enough with orders and requests for quotes and all. This is literally the busiest we've been in the 10 years we've been in business.

Take care,

#16 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

• Loc: Sun City West, Arizona

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Sounds GREAT!!! Congratulations, and hope the new facility meets your needs as well as it sounds like it will!!!

Very COOL!!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics