Kopernik Observatory AstroFest

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Come joint the Kopernik Astronomical Society (KAS) and the Kopernik Observatory and Science Center (Vestal, NY – Binghamton area) for the 30th annual AstroFest, held Thursday October 11 - Sunday October 14th, 2012.

See Flyer (pdf file) here: AstroFest flier (pdf file)

An Astronomy Packed Celebration of Our Night's Sky

Night Time Star Party Observing in Our Dark Skies

Opening of Kopernik's Domes on Clear Nights

14" Celestron C14 f/11 SCT
6" AstroPhysics APO f/12 Refractor
20" Optical Guidance Systems f/8 R/C

Yard Scopes & Large Observing Yard

Astronomy Workshops, Presentations & Fantastic Guest Speakers

Daily Kopernik AstroFest Solar Star Party (KASSP) with the Legendary “Barlow Bob”

Getting Started Tutorials for Beginners

Equipment Discussions/Demonstrations/Tours

Onsite Non-fire Camping, Hotel Discounts

Astronomy Related Exhibits

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Come joint the Kopernik Astronomical Society (KAS) and the Kopernik Observatory and Science Center (Vestal, NY – Binghamton area) for the 30th annual AstroFest, held Thursday October 11 - Sunday October 14th, 2012.

Just a reminder..... and a link to a new and more informative pdf listing speakers, events, etc.

See pdf file

#3 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Coming up this weekend. It looks like we'll have at least one clear night (Friday) and clear solar observing day (Saturday), plus a great slate of speakers.

#4 KHHoran

KHHoran

Sputnik

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

George, I've asked around my club (Astronomy Section of the Rochester Academy of Science - ASRAS)about this event. Turns out people have been down there, just not during AstroFest. Have you attended previous years? Could you give me a run-down? Are there many people that camp out? Or is it better to stay at a hotel?

-Kim

#5 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

George, I've asked around my club (Astronomy Section of the Rochester Academy of Science - ASRAS)about this event. Turns out people have been down there, just not during AstroFest. Have you attended previous years? Could you give me a run-down? Are there many people that camp out? Or is it better to stay at a hotel?

-Kim

Kim,

First: the weather is looking good for daytime solar on Friday and Saturday. Nightime observing should be great Friday night (but cold!!), but all the forecasts are for clouding up near dusk on Saturday. One night is better than none I guess.

I’ve been to nearly all 30 of these events, but we’ve moved it to more of an ‘amateur astronomer’ event last year. Of course there will still be plenty of interest to the general public.

Camping/hotel: It will be in the 20’s Friday night. The hotels in the area are very reasonable and something like 20 minutes away, one way. It’s up to you!

Check out the website ( Kopernik homepage ) for more info on the events, programs, times, but we have a great line-up of speakers, and observing should be good Friday night and Fri/Sat for solar – with Barlow Bob bringing the same rig he has at NEAF Solar every year.

#6 KHHoran

KHHoran

Sputnik

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi George,

Thanks for the info. I see that you're speaking at the event. Looking forward to it.

Kim

#7 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi George,

Thanks for the info. I see that you're speaking at the event. Looking forward to it.

Kim

I hope that you enjoyed AstroFest! Nice meeting you and observing together with Kopernik's scopes..... even if it was only 24 degrees!

#8 KHHoran

KHHoran

Sputnik

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hi George,

Thanks, I had a great time at AstroFest. It was really nice meeting you and observing with you and your club. I'll be sure to keep in touch, and no doubt see some of you at NEAF or Cherry Springs, if not before.

-Kim

#9 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Here's one visitor's take on the event: web page

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics