Extending Atlas EQ-G Hand Controller Cable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

For some reason I had a bit of difficulty getting EQMOD to synch properly with Starry Night Pro. I'll flog on this a bit when I have time, but in the mean time I went with Plan-B... I used a 16 foot serial extension cable to so that I can use the hand controller from inside my house. (I did something similar many years ago with an AutoStar #494 controller and a 14 foot Ethernet extension cable.) Just in case I needed to go this way I bought several different lengths of cable and I found that 25 feet was too long, but 16 feet (10 + 6 foot cables) works fine. I may try a 20 foot serial cable, that way it can lay on the ground all the way to my window. I may give EQMOD another try tonight, but it is really nice having the actual controller sitting right next to my monitor.

Soooo, if you need a simple way of remotely your Atlas EQ-G this looks like a fairly robust way of doing it.

#2 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

When I run my Atlas on the back deck, I installed a cat5 cable for the hand controller. It runs from the deck to the wall inside the house...all cables are installed within the walls and wall plates for a clean installation.
Total length is about 60 ft. and works perfect.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics