•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Extending Atlas EQ-G Hand Controller Cable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

For some reason I had a bit of difficulty getting EQMOD to synch properly with Starry Night Pro. I'll flog on this a bit when I have time, but in the mean time I went with Plan-B... I used a 16 foot serial extension cable to so that I can use the hand controller from inside my house. (I did something similar many years ago with an AutoStar #494 controller and a 14 foot Ethernet extension cable.) Just in case I needed to go this way I bought several different lengths of cable and I found that 25 feet was too long, but 16 feet (10 + 6 foot cables) works fine. I may try a 20 foot serial cable, that way it can lay on the ground all the way to my window. I may give EQMOD another try tonight, but it is really nice having the actual controller sitting right next to my monitor.

Soooo, if you need a simple way of remotely your Atlas EQ-G this looks like a fairly robust way of doing it.

#2 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

When I run my Atlas on the back deck, I installed a cat5 cable for the hand controller. It runs from the deck to the wall inside the house...all cables are installed within the walls and wall plates for a clean installation.
Total length is about 60 ft. and works perfect.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics