CG-5 ASGT - Hypertune or no?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SergeC

SergeC

Apollo

• Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

I read several discussions here and elsewhere about hypertuning a CG-5 GT. Most of these are a few years old now, and I'm wondering if those of you who've done so still think it's worth the cost. Even at the cost of DIY, I'm still looking at almost 2/3 of what I paid for my used mount, especially if I take the upgrade with the ceramic bearings. Or would I be better off putting that money aside for a "better" mount down the road?

Mind you, I'm happy with the mount, GoTos are spot on, and my beginner attempts at AP are so far satisfying. But I do love to tinker and tweak just about anything I can...

#2 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Contagious question.

#3 dwitek

dwitek

Mariner 2

• Loc: White Lake, Michigan

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

I hypertuned mine myself but did not replace any of the materials. I just took it apart carefully, took pictures and made drawings and cleaned and polished everything and replaced the grease with better quality synthetic. Works very smoothly and tracks great. I spent time but the money was less negligible as I already had Mobil 1 synthetic on hand. I was also prepared to adjust the worm but it didn't needed anything done to it.

#4 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

I har DSP hypertune mine. Best money spent on the mount.. I was very surprised how well it tracks now..

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics