By Lorenzo Comolli and Cristiano Tuffanelli

#2 Durval Menezes

Durval Menezes

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

Hi!

Great article, very complete! Lots of useful information, thanks to the authors for taking the time to write it.

I'm considering purchasing a Canon DSLR in the next few months, initially for "normal" (ie, non-AP) usage, but with an eye towards using it in the near future also for AP. One of my main questions is whether it's really worth it to pay so much more money for a 60Da when compared to a XT3i (which would then be modded), and this article contained a warning which, for a complete DSLR/AP ignoramus like me, was a great eye-opener:

Possible, but with the need to use a personal white balance, to be redone each time the ambient light changes (Sun, shadows, lights in a building, flash,...)

From other materials I've read recently, I was under the impression that the Custom White Balance needed for non-AP usage of a modded DSLR was not that inconvenient... Does it *really* need to be redone each time the lighting changes? And what exactly needs to be redone?

Thanks in advance,

#3 Peter D.

Peter D.

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central New York

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Excellent article; also an outstanding image from the dark site.

From a practical perspective this does not give me a great incentive to upgrade from my Baader-modified Rebel 1000D. The additional resolution of the 60Da is not apparent in the images; this would be even more true given the limited resolution of my own modest imaging equipment. On the other hand the loss in sensitivity due to the smaller pixels of the 60Da seems to be a considerable disadvantage.

I recognize the reduced noise of the 60Da, but isn't this offset by the longer exposure required due to the lower sensitivity? Or can the sensitivity and SNR be improved by virtual binning in post-processing, since the additional resolution is not otherwise useful?

Of course the 60Da is a much finer camera for all-around use than my 1000D, but for general use I use my Pentax (and its many lenses) anyway. I'll keep my 1000D for AP; if I ever upgrade it will be to something with a physically larger sensor.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics