Photo

Good Night Vision Binoculars for viewing stars?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

if anybody knows of any please let me know.!!! ive looked at image intensifiers and cant find anything affordable or simple enough that i can place on my telescope.is there any affordable way to see the stars with night vision???? any binoculars?

#2 StarBucket

StarBucket

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Scandinavia - 55° 36'

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

IR vision will obviously not work, and good night vision technology which amplifies natural light tend to be very expensive.

From what I recall from my military service such equipment is remarkably good at allowing you superb night vision in the "darkest" place (some light needed obviously), but the characteristics of the view through these completely and utterly unsuitable for viewing the night sky.

Maybe technology has moved forward since then and there now is such a thing. If so it would be interesting to know how they perform.

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

IR vision will obviously not work

That's odd; we had a thread on that very recently: here.

#4 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

.....these items seem to perform well enough....these kind of images would be fine...just finding out where to get them and what they are really...something i can add on to my telescope or maybe preferably binoculars...but the photo thing is way to expensive...an image intensifier is about £60.00 in places...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_uqQ6kr0W7U
http://www.nightvisi...howitworks.html

#5 StarBucket

StarBucket

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Scandinavia - 55° 36'

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

IR vision will obviously not work

That's odd; we had a thread on that very recently: here.

Missed that thread.

My experience is similar to some posts in that thread. Spectacular night vision - but personally I did not find them enjoyable to view the night sky with due to the overall "corruption" of colour.

I fail to see how active IR will improve the viewing of stars. Surely, any star gazing improvement must be due to the binos being designed for optimal performance during dark conditions? Or have I missed something?

#6 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

3x Binocular w/Variable Gain

#7 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• Loc: W. Coast

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

The most 'economical' way to do this while using TWO eyes is to get a PVS-7 unit with a Gen 3 image intensifier and a c-mount adapter. You can vary the magnification by connecting different focal length c-mount lenses (TV lenses). For example, a 25mm FL lens yields 1X mag. A 50mm FL lens gives 2X, 75mm lens gives 3X, etc.
The PVS-7 requires only a single image tube (MX10130 type) AND you get to use BOTH of your eyes which makes for very pleasing views.
OR, you can get a c-mount to 1.25 inch telescope adaptor and connect the PVS-7 directly to your telescope. This combination works very well.

Attached Files

#8 KMM

KMM

Lift Off

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hi,
How are you connecting the c-mount adapter to the PVS-7 (as shown in the picture)? Does it replace the entire objective lens assembly? Where do you get the adapter shown? Thanks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics