Moon Gazer's Wheel

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

• Loc: Northern New Jersey

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

Didn't see anything on this going back a few pages. An interesting little widget that some might find useful, sort of a planisphere for the Moon:

David Chandler's Moon Gazer's Wheel

#2 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Brentwood (East Bay Area), CA

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Just placed my order, there were only 2 left, now there is 1 left! Oh, and threw in a Celestron OIII filter. This was the kicker I needed to get OIII that ordered.

Thanks!

#3 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

That could come in handy for outreach.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Just placed my order, there were only 2 left, now there is 1 left! Oh, and threw in a Celestron OIII filter. This was the kicker I needed to get OIII that ordered.

Thanks!

Off topic reply: Your going to love your OIII. But beware one thing, after seeing the great help on emission nebula you'll sigh a little dispare that no such filter pops a galaxy the same way.

Don't kno if this is your first light pollution filter, if it is your in for a treat - so long as the proper objects are chosen.

Pete

#5 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yeah Pete, I have an old Lumonics Deep Sky filter but don't use it that much. Years go by and every year I keep telling myself to get an OIII, but never do...

Thanks to Tim, this Moon Wheel is something I just got to have, and while I was visiting the site - the prime opportunity arose to FINALLY GET MY OIII - Yeah!!!

Edit: Main reason for the OIII is to catch the Veil this season.

Can't wait to get my Moon Wheel and OIII filter :jump:.

Rob

#6 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Here's a more advanced model for those interested. It's a bit more money, but full-featured. While not the exact one I had when I was ten, it's the real McCoy and is a significant tool. (Come to think of it, they should call it the Moon Geezer's wheel! :grin:):

Phase calculator

I didn't think anyone used these much today, what with the VMA and all its powerful tools. These hearken back to my beginnings and are kind of a nostalgia thing for me. (Like many, I've been feeling nostalgic these past few days after Commander Armstrong's passing.) I didn't even think they made them anymore, like slide rules. They're old-fashioned but still work perfectly well, and you don't have to worry about getting them wet. :)

#7 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Speaking of slide rules, here's a site that offers several of the old-fashioned tools we used to use back in the day. Modernized versions, but still perfectly representative of a bygone era (it's the company that makes the wheel above):

Moonstick Company

Like many here, my astronomy tools came from Edmund Scientific. If you remember drooling over their catalog and dreaming of the day that you could afford the kit to grind an actual eight-inch mirror, you can officially call yourself an astro-geezer! :lol:

#8 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

Received my Moon Wheel today, It's a neat little unit!

Waxing, waning, wax on, wax off, never made sense. Now can wrap my brain around the waxing/waning/gibbous phases.

Always been a fan of old school planisphere devices. I like that LunaWheel too, Tim. That may have to be added to my collection as well.

Thanks for posting these.

#9 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

It says "All you ever needed to know about the Moon in the palm of your hand".
That may be a little excessive...

#10 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

Yeah, maybe more than a little excessive... But, it's a nice tool for newbies and dummies like me that want to learn the correct terminology of the various moon phases.

#11 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:09 AM

The thing we should all appreciate, Rob, is that when these were the tools of choice the first two scopes in your list were nearly unheard of. A 12" mirror would have earned an article in Sky & Telescope.

#12 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Yeppers! Still have my old British Astronomical Association (BAA) Star Charts and old yellowed Philips' Planisphere from 1982. I was nailing stellar/deepsky objects with those through my Coulter back then. Spoiled by the Z12 and SkySafari now...

This morning picked up the Moon Wheel, at a glance took a reading:

The Moon is 17 days old in a Waning Gibbous phase, rises at twilight and sets in the morning, will be entering the last quarter in 5 days.

Gotta love these low tech tools!

Rob

#13 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

I have to be missing something here.
It looks like what it does, is when you match the little moon picture on the wheel to the moon in the sky, it tells you what phase it's in?? There must be more!

#14 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

These little paper 'computers' were used to tell you things like the name of the phase, the Moon’s position in orbit, day of the lunar month, rise and set time, and when the phase is visible.

More advanced models could do things like phase angle, co-longitude, local transit time, apogee and perigee, basically all the Moon calculations you commonly needed. They often worked like perpetual calenders and could calculate for a period of several thousands of years.

Even the simpler ones were good planning tools. You could look up a particular feature and plan your observing schedule. None of them even come close to things like the VMA and Lunar Phase Pro, but then again they don't need batteries. Just 30 years ago these were the tools of the trade. A Lunie would have a Moon wheel the way a DSO observer would have a planisphere.

Nobody today really needs these, they're just kind of neat. They're only a couple of bucks and Rob finally got his O-III filter. ;)

#15 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

LOL Tim, Yep got my OIII and saw the Veil, but it ain't gonna keep me away from the Lunie Bin!

Rick, yeah there is more to this little contraption than just phases, and Tim pretty much nailed it. It's actually quite ingenius!

It has 3 rings: Outer ring has marked day intervals of 29.5 days corresponding to the lunar month cycle.

2nd ring in corresponds to the moon setting and rise times.

3rd ring in corresponds to the phase presently in the sky and points 90 degrees left and right to the setting and rise time.

These 3 circles are in reference to the sun and earth which represent the constant. So visually it make total sense!

Don't know if that all made sense, so I'll post a pic.

This picture represents todays reading which is 18 days past the new moon.

Attached Files

#16 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

Something to note here, on the 2nd wheel in which is the set and rise times, the pointers point to a generic position ie Evening/Midnight/Early Morning/Dawn... Etc.

Based on local sunset and sunrise times you can extrapolate a pretty close time for moonrise and moonset based on the position of the pointers.

#17 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

Nobody today really needs these, they're just kind of neat.

Well then everybody please turn your wheel to the new moon setting and staple it in place so I can see the rest of the sky.

#18 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

I have an astronomical calendar which gives me most of this lunar information day-by-day.

One little convenient tidbit that I like to have immediately at hand that my calendar does not give - it oughta! - is the lunar day. Knowing the lunar day gives me a rough idea which lunar quadrant, possible libration zone and lunar features might be good to view on a particular night. On the calendar, I have to count the number of days after New Moon to figure the lunar day. What a bother!

Is it worth $7.95 to save me this frustration throughout the lunar month? Hmmm... :thinking: Maybe!

:grin:
Mike

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Nobody today really needs these, they're just kind of neat.

Well then everybody please turn your wheel to the new moon setting and staple it in place so I can see the rest of the sky.

:funny:

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

On second thought, to use this Moon Wheel, I need to match the Moon phase I actually see in the sky to one represented on the wheel in order to get the information? :foreheadslap:

Not exactly very good for planning purposes.
:scratchhead:

I just saved $7.95.

:grin:
Mike

#21 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

I've never used this particular model, but with the one I had years ago you could set it to the phase you wanted to observe and read it 'backwards' to tell you when that would occur.

Having seen Rob's close up picture I'll say that this one is a very basic model. A good learning tool, but after you've done it a hundred times you won't need it anymore. Eventually you get to the point where you know where and when the Moon will be at any time just just because you become sensitive to it. Like knowing what time of year Scorpio is high in the sky, for instance.

Like I said, nobody really needs one, but they're fun and hearken back to a simpler day.

#22 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

double click.

#23 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

I've got a great idea! How about an astronomical calendar that bothers to insert the lunar day on each day throughout the year? Maybe they could put a little number for the lunar day by the little Moon phase that's on each day of the month.

Is there a calendar out there that does this?

Before someone posts that the lunar day doesn't exactly sync with the solar day, blah, blah, blah ... well, how about just the closest approximate lunar day? That'd be good enough for me.

:shrug:
Mike

#24 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

That would be handy. Never seen one, but a good idea.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics