• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 cosurgi

cosurgi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gdańsk, Poland, EU

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

It happened tonight when we were preparing to moon observing session. I badly attached that connector ring. I always have a bad feeling about attaching this ring, and I normally double and triple check it. So I did today. I even told my brother that I always feel uneasy about this connector ring. Few minutes later with eyepieces attached it fell down on the concrete.

Very frightened I attached it again, and we had a great moon observing session. I was so afraid that it might get damaged. But now I really don't know if something happened to it, or if I should contact Baader and ask if they could check it for me.

At first I saw a collimation problem, one eye couldn't match the view with another eye, but soon the problem disappeared, and none of my fellow observers noticed this. Even at 200x magnification (refractor ES 127mm;952mm with ES 4.7mm eyepieces) the view was sharp, good and collimated.

I wish there was another way to connect this binoviwer, this connector ring is so... difficult to use.

Should I contact Baader?
Do you think that if there are any problems I would notice them instantly during the moon observing session?
What should I do?

#2 Refractor6

Refractor6

Soyuz

• Loc: Vancouver B.C. , Canada

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

I would think that if you're not seeing a constant double image or having eye strain to make a merge you may have got off easy without knocking out something inside fortunately. Yes that connection is the one thing on my older version {but same design} that gets the double check everytime... still I feel your pain...no fun :(

#3 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

As far as I know, Baader is verrrrry slow in checking and fixing things. It could take several months to get the BV back if you send it to them. So if it seems to be working fine, I would probably take no action.

Yeah the connector is scary. I've had the Mark V spin around a couple of times when it wasn't connected perfectly, and it definitely freaked me out!!

#4 Kutno

Kutno

Apollo

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Przykro mi slyszec. Since the problem appeared only momentarily, I would not worry about it, at this time.

Duzo szczescia!

#5 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

I dropped my Mark Vs once and contacted Astro Physics about it. I was told that the prisms are cemented in place and that a drop would not cause any collimation issues. There is no way to adjust the collimation on the Mark Vs. As far as sending them to Baader, I once had to send mine for a thorough cleaning (water got deep inside the prism structure) and it took about 3 months to get them back. Also, it was a pricey cleaning since I had to pay for shipping to and from Germany. Total price came out to about $350. I now keep them in a waterproof case.

#6 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

As far as I am concerened, if the the view is OK, they should be fine.

#7 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

I am also using the Baader Mark V. The dropping risk always lets me think about a safety lanyard, keeping the Mark V from falling down. Or to put a thick soft cushioning pad on the floor, just in case...

Baader should offer modified, more reliable mounting adapters for their expensive and heavy Mark V binoviewer.

Stephan

#8 cosurgi

cosurgi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:37 AM

Thank you very much for encouragement. So I think that I will take no action for now. Of course except quadruple and quintuple checking the connector from now on.

Yesterday we were looking at moon only. Next test will be on planets on another night. I used this bino a lot before this happened, so I should notice if there is any difference.

I hope that I got lucky with this one...

#9 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

Because og affraid dropping, I do that...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

...so now my MkV is fixed with adapter!

And with that I gave 2mm more CLEAR APERTURE of MkV, originaly it has on back side 28mm, now is fully 30mm ;-)

#11 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

I don't know why more people don't affix a lanyard or saftey line to heavy eyepieces, binos and cameras. Seems to me a small quick connector or snap fitting could make interchanges more efficient too. :smirk: Mike

#12 rfr66

rfr66

Sputnik

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

I dropped my MKV on concrete also and I started seeing a second image upside down. I sent it back to Astro Physics and they said collimation was out. It was sent back to Baader for repair but took over three months. I couldn't wait that long so I bought a second MKV to use while I was waiting. A cushion on the ground would be a good idea.

#13 Refractor6

Refractor6

Soyuz

• Loc: Vancouver B.C. , Canada

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm thinking at this point being a recent convert and owner of the older unit that one of those small outdoor area rugs under the scope would be at least be a good start.

#14 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Sorry to hear about that. I dropped mine, damaged it, and it took over eight months for turnaround. Luckily you are closer to Germany! Good luck.

#15 NickG

NickG

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hmmm, seems dropping Mk V's is too common. On that basis, I think I'll give them a miss :tonofbricks:

#16 BWAZ

BWAZ

Apollo

• Loc: CA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

I dropped mine once and it seems the binoviewer survived but I still keep thinking sending the unit back to Baader for inspection, kinda paranoid :(

#17 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Mine was initially inspected by Roland himself at Astro-Physics before they sent it off to Germany, I think he can deal with basic collimation issues. Mine was knocked outta whack though, and then I think it got shuffled around once it reached Baader. Over eight months is a looong wait for service.

#18 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

I had a problem with mine a while back and I sent them to A-P for a look. Roland checked them out quickly and the problem had to do with the prism diagonal not the collimation of the binoc prisms. It was replaced under warranty.

#19 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

denis0007dl,
How did you or where that was done. Besides also already dropped mine twice (only once due to the quick release system... At that time nothing happened and but after the second fall I had to use glue tape to hold my inter pupil distance - still is collimated... :-) ), I would prefer a simple T female on the binoviewer since would save 1 cm of focal length. I contacted Baader to ask if it was possible to remove the system and make a T tread female but they told it would be too expensive since had to produce new tools to collimate the binoviewer...

#20 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

I got a cold lump in my stomach just reading the title of this thread!

Glad it's still OK. You got lucky; you should find some way to make it more secure (the lanyard idea sounded good).

#21 cosurgi

cosurgi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

yes, definitely I will make some lanyard attachment

#22 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

denis0007dl,
How did you or where that was done. Besides also already dropped mine twice (only once due to the quick release system... At that time nothing happened and but after the second fall I had to use glue tape to hold my inter pupil distance - still is collimated... :-) ), I would prefer a simple T female on the binoviewer since would save 1 cm of focal length. I contacted Baader to ask if it was possible to remove the system and make a T tread female but they told it would be too expensive since had to produce new tools to collimate the binoviewer...

Everything was done by turner expert, there atr many parts changed, and now bino is SUPERB!

WORTH IT!!!!

#23 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Only two nights ago i was covering my dob with a plastic bag when i heard a solid horrific thud. Somehow my Mrk 5 came off its quick release adaptor and smashed 5 feet onto solid concret! My brother had called me in to play MW2. I spent 2 hrs trying to play, but could not focus because i kept on thinking, "Damn! How did that happen, i am sure the quick release screw was fully tightened.... The bino must be wreaked!".

Afterwards i checled it ober in the light. Lucky for me i only had tiny 11mm TV plossls loaded and not my usual 24mm Panotics. Both eyepieces had badly scruffed eye guards. Both Mrk 5 eyepieces sholders where dented, one side dented on both sides. The body was also dented and scruffed. Surely they are ruined! The crash sound was horrid and i can still hear it now.

Loaded a 17mm ethos and monoviwed vega and double double. Beautiful. Split double double by fine hairline. Load up Mrk 5 with simular mag. Beautiful. View 95% as clear as monoview. Double double split by hairline. Set to x340 mag and point to jupitor, moons nice round spheres, hardly any CA or flaring on them. Jupitor detail as fine as the first day i got them. I can not believe i got away with no damage.

But as otherd have said.... In the bak of my mind i keep thinking "Somthig must be wrong". The Mrk 5 are near perfection, a big knocknlike that surely must effect it in some way.... I cant help think i should by another just to rest my mind. They are that wonderful.

But as others have said... Baader need to provide an alternative to the quick release. Its ridiculous. Why would anyone want a system with suck a high risk rate? I deffo dont. Ill rather have the usual 2in tube that eyepieces come with.

I now attach a safety bungie cord to them. Makes ne so much more at ease.

Glad im not the only one this happened to. The most aweful feeling. Wish i could turn bak time.

#24 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

denis0007dl, whats turner experts webpage? And what do we need to ask for? Do we need to open our bino to apply the mod or does it simply screw in the bottom? Thanks for the help.

#25 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Oh no, not again... My stomach hurts. Another Baader Mark V crushing on concrete. Another victim of Baader's quick release system.

If I understand well your post, and as well the previous posts of other Baader Mark V owners, the T2i Quick Changer (Baader Part-No. 245 6313) failed repeatedly.

I recommend sending a copy of your report (or this thread link, accompanied by some polite notes) directly to Baader Planetarium, Germany, e-mail kontakt@baader-planetarium.de.
Apparently, the quick release system is a weak point in the entire bino set-up. In order to bring a more reliable connection solution for this heavy and expensive bino, Baader depends on our experiences.

I own the great Mark V too. The horrible dropping stories of some of you folks make me feel nervous now each time when I am looking at it... Not only double-checking, but triple-checking the quick release unit and its small screw has become common procedure...

To anyone who really hates the idea of seeing his beloved and expensive Mark V crushing on hard concrete, an attached safety lanyard gives some additional security.

Stephan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics