dropped my baader mark V bino on concrete :(

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

You are right we should stand togeather and demand a free swap for a new unit. In its current form its actually a design fault and not fit for purpose. This many drops proves its not fit for purpose. As much as i love baader for this great piece of engineering, they are at fault and we should not have to live with the Endless feeling of doubt if our bino is really fuctioning as normal.

Ill do so and let you guys know how i get on. They owe ne a new shiney unit :p

#27 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

You are right we should stand togeather and demand a free swap for a new unit. In its current form its actually a design fault and not fit for purpose. This many drops proves its not fit for purpose. As much as i love baader for this great piece of engineering, they are at fault and we should not have to live with the Endless feeling of doubt if our bino is really fuctioning as normal.

Ill do so and let you guys know how i get on. They owe ne a new shiney unit :p

The least they can do is make available a longer thumbscrew for existing units. Most of it stays unreachable between the diagonal the and Mark V body. After hearing these horror stories, my MO is to visually inspect the BV after tightening the screw. But even with this I'm scared I'll slip up one day...

#28 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

The problem with the quicl release system is that its only secured by one screw, which can work itself loose. But the main fault is that a small turn of that screw can allow the bino to simply "pop off suddenly. With no other astro gear/system i have owned does this happen.

Baader need to build in a secondry securing feature, one that acts as a fail safe yetstilling allowing to quick release to work. For example making the user unscrew the locking screw, then having to twist the bino to release.

Graaa its really annoying. Tonight i looked thru the bino and indeed the eye pieces arw out of collimation. Thru each barrel the view is slighly offset, no wonder first time i used it after dropping i felt my eyes had to "work a bit", normally its so natural. I thought i was just imagining it but today i confirmed it visually.

#29 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

I sent my mark v to baader for recollomination they said they are on holiday and will start on it in september, I hope they can get it back to me for october. Fingers crossed, ill update to let everyone know how I get on

#30 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

After an initial period of frustration because I got no reply.from baader (they were on summer holiday). Once they were back I got confirmation of receipt of my bino and an estimated repair commence of start ofSeptember. Just received an email from baader confirming its fixed and will be posted by UPS. Amazing, fixed faster than I feared. Im over the moon as in my eyes the mrk 5 is pretty much optical perfection.

#31 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

*Update, i got my bino back. After getting back from their summer holiday, much to my surprise it took them 2 weeks to fix it and another 4 days shipped via UPS to me. They repaired it free & did not charge me for shipping. Im really surprise and of course very grateful. Collomination fixed.

Breaking all rules the weather was clear last night and WOW, the views are exactly like last summer when i first got it, beautiful. Stars at x80 mag in the 24mm pans beautiful and sharp, at x150 still very sharp. Double double such a clean split with black sky between, the faint surrounds stars perfect pin pricks and not smeared at all. Cant ait for the moon and Jupiter so i can push it over x300.

So far the collimation looks extremely good. Very happy with Baader customer service and customer care. Its good to know that buying a mrk5 really is a purchase for life. Fingers crossed.

#32 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

:waytogo:

#33 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

I am glad you got it fixed!

It is time now for a lanyard, or a soft and thick cushioning pad below your Mark V. :)

Stephan

#34 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Glad to see your Mark V's are as good as new, but did Baader say anything about addressing the problem of the quick release failing? did you discuss them making a threaded fitting for the Mark V's instead of the quick release?
Rex

#35 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Glad to see your Mark V's are as good as new, but did Baader say anything about addressing the problem of the quick release failing? did you discuss them making a threaded fitting for the Mark V's instead of the quick release?

I hope they don't! I really like the quick release on my Mark V.

#36 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

I really like the quick release on my Mark V.

Yes, I too like the quick release feature of the Mark V. But I think Baader should slightly re-design the Quick Release Changer. With its tiny single set screw, it is the weakest point in the entire bino train, in particuar when using long and heavy 1 1/4" eyepieces as the TV Delos models or the Docter 12.5 UWA.

Stephan

#37 JRiggs

JRiggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western New York

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

I agree. This is a real design fault in what is otherwise an excellent piece of equipment.

#38 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the support guys. Since dropping I attach a cord around it and tie it to my scope. Lucky for my my dob has a cloth shroud, so if it should end up flying off again it will swing ::) into the shroud thus acting like a air bag.

And would you believe this, on my first night out with it I accidentally released the quick release thumb screw, as you all know we have many sets of thumb screws around the focuser. Luckily 1. I had not unscrewed it much... and 2 I had my safety cable.

I have sent baader this thread to let them know my accident has happened to many others.

The thing is I really do love the quick release, but maybe baader should add a second thumb screw as a safety net, that makes sense right? Ill suggest it to them.

But ok im ever so grateful for the repair and look forward to Jupiter rising at zenith XD.

Thanks again and let's hope baader does something about this issue. What would others suggest? I know ashely at precise parts makes a direct 2in adaptor, but I know I would miss the quick release as I have a baader to x2 televe powermate which I love and wod dearly miss.

#39 Pingster

Pingster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

How about if baader makes the thumb screw twist in the opposite direction to a normal thumb screw? Then you cant accidentally unloosen. If they made two holes in the qick release ring, one for normal direction to unlose and the other as an inverse option.

#40 JRiggs

JRiggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western New York

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

If they even just made the screw longer, it would be an improvement! I complained about this to Astro Physics last year at this time shortly after the screw on my MkV came loose.

#41 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

I find the Baader quick release perfect.

Just make sure the dovetail is slipped in around the locator tangs prior to tightening the thumbscrew.

I have 2 mkv's and there's never a problem

#42 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

*Update, i got my bino back. After getting back from their summer holiday, much to my surprise it took them 2 weeks to fix it and another 4 days shipped via UPS to me. They repaired it free & did not charge me for shipping.

Lucky you! When mine dropped and needed re-collimating, it took them 9 months to get the MkVs back to me and they charged me almost $400, including shipping both ways. So lets just say their customer service is a tad inconsistent. ;) :p :foreheadslap:

#43 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

Yup, I was charged $350 for a cleaning including shipping both ways. This was after the case that they were in took on water when my *BLEEP* tent flooded at the 2010(?) Chiefland Star Party. Needless to say that they now reside in a waterproof SKB case along with all of my other eyepieces and optical doo-dads. Oh, and I have a better tent also.

#44 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Oh, and I have a better tent also.

:roflmao: :funny:

Stephan

#45 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

Well I was hoping not to join this particular club but I am officially a member. Dropped my Mark Vs and now I see double. To make things worse, my friend dropped his a couple of nights ago. Both will be on their way to Germany soon for some service. In the meantime I purchase a used TeleVue Bino Vue to get me by. Has anyone used a Bino Vue or compared them to the Mark Vs? I briefly compared them at the 2013 WSP and didn't notice much of a difference. If I like them I will probably sell the Mark Vs when I get them back. Any thoughts?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics